D--------5--------7----
A--------5---------7-
E0-0-0-3-0-0-0-5
PM..... PM....
this is a part of metallica's for whom the bell tolls. I was wondering if it is a good or bad habit to anchor during parts like these, where you've switching from palm mute to normal playing quickly.
for example, I will play the palm muted part with my ring and pinky fingers on the pick guard. Then, when I have to play without palm mute I will raise my right hand up onto the support of the ring and pinky fingers to make it work.

I have tried to make this as clear as possible, wondering if it is ok to play this section like this.

I know anchoring is bad and I only have been using it for palm muting parts like these.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
i would suggest learning to put your palm against the strings without touching the pickguard at all...perhaps by changing the angle of your hand to the strings to that the side of your palm (and pinky) mutes the strings rather than the front
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I play it really cleanly without anchoring now, it's really easy to fall into the groove and without having to anchor.