just wondering...
i don't tend to strum/pick hard so i set my guitar with only a little neck relief and there's about 2mm between the low E and the 12th fret. i use d'addario 10's. it took me a month of trying different string gauges and truss rod/action settings until i was finally satisfied... but now i've finally found a setting that suits my playing.
so, how is your guitar set up? action and strings?
Fine thanks, and yours?

Mine's quite low for Strats, and not much buzzing to speak of.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
what's relief? but i use 10-52 in drop d and i'd say pretty high action on the low strings and medium high on the high strings
you can measure the neck relief by fretting the low E string on the 1st fret and the fret where neck meets the body at the same time. relief is the distance between the string and the fret 8 or 9. that shows you that your neck is slightly up-bowed.
i guess if you tend to play more agressively you're gonna need higher action...
Can someone go into more depth about action? Or is there already a thread about this that someone can guide me to? Sometimes reading articles and what not only develope more confusion rather than help me understand. Any one who would care to explain would help me greatly!
Quote by L19L91L
Can someone go into more depth about action? Or is there already a thread about this that someone can guide me to? Sometimes reading articles and what not only develope more confusion rather than help me understand. Any one who would care to explain would help me greatly!

^^action refers to how high off the fretboard your strings are. low action (closr the the fretboard) is good because its easier to fret notes and its easier to play faster. high action (higher off the fretboard) is better for more aggressive players and for strumming (acoustics typically have higher action, no?). high action is also much better for playing with a slide, because you dont want the strings to touch the frets when playing slide..

my LP has pretty low action, but its kinda in the middle kuz i use it for both soloing and rythm

my jag has incredibly low action, its actually too low. some frets buzz and there are a few dead notes. i just havent taken the time to fix it haha

the action on my Squier Tele is set up nearly as high as it can go, kuz i recently set it up to use only for slide

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by Invictious
My action is extremely high, about 1.5 cm off the fretboard at 12th fret

you must be using huge strings and strum pretty hard...
Quote by 666_Belial
you must be using huge strings and strum pretty hard...

Yea, .015s.

Well I set my vintage strat trem to pretty high, for more range, so...