hey i was wondering if you could help me with a few things...

1) i am currently trying to learn "building the church" and am stuck on the solo where theres the little sweep lick there... ive got the tab for it but i just cant get it up to speed, is there any easy way to do this?

2) vai is famous for using the lydian mode, and i have been trying to compose a piece in lydian mode, problem is i cant get a decent chord progression for it?

i know that b5 chords are supposed to indicate lydian, seeing as the lydian scale has an augmented 4th (b5)? but i just cant get a progression, it just ends up being ionian or aeolian. any suggestions?

thanks
1) No way around it, ya just gotta practice it but the good news is vai uses it a lot, so once you've got it, you can use it in a number of his songs.

2)If you know how all the Modes link together, just use chords from the others. Just work out chords that fit in with the notes and there you'll have it, guitar pro might be able to help you.
Thanks for reading
a major 7th would go well with lydian. vai does alot of pitch axis stuff, so you dont really need much of a progression if you want to write like him. just a good 1 chord rythym under your lead.
Hmmm, a b5th isn't neccesarily what you want for lydian. True it does have a b5th in it, but its more of a #4th... So try playing a #11 chord, that will work better.
You need to hear the modes and that can be challenging but one day if you listen enough you wil get it. Just like you've got major minor. those 2 are easy because you hear em that often in today's music. the others you just have to learn to hear em.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Actually the best way to play modally is over a drone.
Take the song "The riddle" for example. All Steve is doing is playing over an E, so that gives him free reign of what to do in that track, he can play any mode, whether major or minor. It can be quite hard to pull of convincingly, but after practice you'll get it.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
You need to hear the modes and that can be challenging but one day if you listen enough you wil get it. Just like you've got major minor. those 2 are easy because you hear em that often in today's music. the others you just have to learn to hear em.

oh i can use all the other modes just fine, its just lydian for some reason.
oh actually i havent bothered to use locrian... lol

but yeah i can use ionian, dorian, phrygian, mixolydian and aeolian easy. I dont see why some people have such a hard time understanding modes... i just want to get a chord progression that will work for lydian, because i quite like the sound of it and its the only one i havent been able to use so far... quite annoying really.
^^The reason why so many people have a hard time with modes is because lots of times the problems are coming from metal shredders and stuff. In metal, people don't often use chords which is unfortunate, so there's not much of a use for them then.
Okay; Well what ever lol here it goes:

e|-0----------|-0------------|
B|-0----------|-0------------|
G|-1----------|-3------------|
D|-2----------|-4------------|
A|-2----------|-4------------|
E|-0----------|-2------------|

just repeat those 2 chord and slowly play E lydian over it:

(E,F#,G,A#,B,C#,D#)

Don't know the theoretic explaining of it, but if you do it right it sounds lydian.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
uhuh ^^ isnt that basically the chords on g3 live in denver with steve vai improvising before "i know you're here"? except i think the E major is instead an E major 9th?
cause most (if not all) of that improvisation is lydian...
meh, i usually like to have a good 3 or 4 chords in a progression though, makes it slightly more fun, i mean ya the e major to f# major works but its more fun to play around with more chords and find more notes that you can really hit that work nice with it
Can someone PM or something and show me wtf mods are? Ive read the lessons, i just know theyre based of the major scale.
^That song pwnz j00.

Threadstarter try something like...

Amaj9 - A Lydian. (E Major)

Cmaj9 - C Lydian. (G Major)

Emaj9 - E Lydian. (B Major)

Some 'Lydian chords' that spring to mind...
  • Major triads.
  • Maj7 chords.
  • Maj9 chords.
  • Maj13 chords.
  • Maj9#11 chords.
  • Maj13#11 chords.
  • Maj7b5 chords.
  • 5th intervals (Powerchords)

And especially maj7#11 chords. (It's called 'The Lydian Chord' in some places)

Quote by shred masta
Can someone PM or something and show me wtf mods are? Ive read the lessons, i just know theyre based of the major scale.

This is a mod.

These are modes.
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Aug 1, 2006,
^^

The Lydian mode really sparkles when it has a chance to?breathe.?It?s for this reason many players use the
harmonized chords from Lydian to write progressions expressly made for the exploitation of the mode
itself.(Refer to?Modes and Modal Progressions?in the ?Theory?chapter

i want that modes and modal progressions in the theory chapter page
but i looked for it and couldnt get it, i did a search on fender players club a few weeks back, and it didnt do anything, which was annoying...
does anybody have a link?
does it even exist anymore?

EDIT: o btw! check out my myspace music page (its in my sig) ive got a new track up where ive used the e major to f#major progression, except i used a e major 9th and a f#7

any comments on it would be welcome... its the first track up there called "the dream" ... lydian mode... = dreamy mode? geddit? aha...
Last edited by Godderz_24 at Aug 2, 2006,
POWER TAB shows you the tab and notes and it plays a synthesized guitar that plays while the tab is going its cool that might help you. thats a hard song good luck
^^ yeah i know ive got the powertab and the guitar pro tab
i was just having trouble with the sweep picking section, not the tapping part lol
it is pretty hard, i just need to practice some more cause im a bit sloppy at the moment
the difficulty with chords over lydian is it often sounds more authentic with a drone of one note-more eastern sounding. Adding a lot of chords creates a fusion sound.
Quote by Godderz_24
^^any comments on it would be welcome... its the first track up there called "the dream" ... lydian mode... = dreamy mode? geddit? aha...

And let's not forget "Flying in a Blue Dream" by Satch either...very cool chord prog there...
Quote by Mahavishnu80
the difficulty with chords over lydian is it often sounds more authentic with a drone of one note-more eastern sounding. Adding a lot of chords creates a fusion sound.

i like fusion.