I am currently saving for a new guitar.
I play mainly metal and my current amp is a Fender 65R.
My Price range is around $500-$650 Canadian.

Plz give me some suggestions!
Gibson Les Paul. Unbeatable...
Zed: Bring out the Gimp.
Maynard: But the Gimp's sleeping.
Zed: Well, I guess you better go and wake him up then...
Quote by Maverick49

it depends if hes a shredder... are you threadstarter?
Good Luck Finding a Gibson for the much money. You could go with an Epiphone Les Paul, though you wont hear to much praise on this website. Or If your willing to put in a couple extra hundreded bucks you could go with a Schecter S-1
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

Quote by MAXWELLMURDER
Good Luck Finding a Gibson for the much money. You could go with an Epiphone Les Paul, though you wont hear to much praise on this website. Or If your willing to put in a couple extra hundreded bucks you could go with a Schecter S-1

s-1 x2 or he could try a better ibanez, im not sure if hes a shredder or not!
Quote by Maverick49

Thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

Les pauls arent versatile at all, are bulky and have about the worst fret access in the world.

Threadstarter, go for a ibanez RG321MH or possibly a S470..

With the 321MH, you can upgrade the pickups and have an EXCELLENT guitar with money left over.

Mahogony body, AANJ, wizard 2 neck, 24 frets, string thru..... Shredders Dream... VERRY metal oriented.

Only 280$ US
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
I'd go for a Les Paul, i just love those guitars soo much....or u might prefer an ibanez but id say theyre not as classy and lack tone. Also after uv found ur perfect guitar u might find it worth ur time getting a new amp...i dnt highly rate fenders.
Jaffa cakes...are they cakes or biscuits?

You decide...
^ Dude, did you look at his budget?

A gibson les paul is way out of his range... AND any gibson below a standards quality is pure ****. The ibanez 321MH i reccomended is just as good or better and much more oriented to his style, with WAY better fret access, 24 frets, and 800$ less.....
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by ClassicAxe
Thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

Les pauls arent versatile at all, are bulky and have about the worst fret access in the world.

Threadstarter, go for a ibanez RG321MH or possibly a S470..

With the 321MH, you can upgrade the pickups and have an EXCELLENT guitar with money left over.

Mahogony body, AANJ, wizard 2 neck, 24 frets, string thru..... Shredders Dream... VERRY metal oriented.

Only 280$ US

I think thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard. Les Pauls are one of the most versitle guitars. And if they have ****ty fret accsess how does someone like Bucket Head shred with one?
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, I do shred. I have played my friends Les Paul and did not like it at all, I found the neck to big to get my fingers around fast enough. Plz more Suggestions!
ClassicAxe is absolutely right with this one, with a pup change, the RG would be awesome for metal, plus you'd have extra money to put towards an amp upgrade or distortion pedal. To MAXWELL MURDER- don't come in here praising and suggesting les pauls and bashing other suggestions that would make a lot more sense especially when the threadstarter has a budget of $600
try schecters. they are very metal guitars. or ESP/LTD.
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

Quote by MAXWELLMURDER
I think thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard. Les Pauls are one of the most versitle guitars. And if they have ****ty fret accsess how does someone like Bucket Head shred with one?

BULL****, dude, you KNOW they have horrible fretacces.... Hell you cant get your ****ing hand past the 15th fret.

Buckethead has been playing how long? **** if i know, he probably gets paid by gibson to play a les paul.

Let me ask you this since your bringing buckethead into the question..

Why the billions of shredders out there, DONT use les pauls.

They DONT have good fret access, whats the problem here? Im speaking facts kid.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
along with the ibanezes, check out esps, schecters, and jacksons. i dont think a les paul would fit ur style very well.
Yeah, they may not have the BEST fret accsess, but there a hell of a lot better then a 280 dollar Ibanez.
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

ok, i have an Ibanez rg1570, and i love it. It cost 750 USD, so i dont know how much that is in canadian.. but u probably have enough. Also, look at the Ibanez S520EX (i think thats it) I played that and almost bought it. Its around 600 USD i think. It had a really fast neck.. but mine does too. You should probably go with an Ibanez.
Ibanez RGA 121
Ibanez RG3EX1
Some sort of Marshall Stack
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Little POD thing

Plagued Paradise
Quote by MAXWELLMURDER
Yeah, they may not have the BEST fret accsess, but there a hell of a lot better then a 280 dollar Ibanez.

That's arguable. The Rg has better fret access, faster neck, much cheaper, even with a pickup change. The Les Paul has...?
Great tone, durable as hell, no need for a pick up change unlike the RG
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

Quote by tylerishot
That's arguable. The Rg has better fret access, faster neck, much cheaper, even with a pickup change. The Les Paul has...?

Yeh for real.

The rg is 1000$ cheaper than the studio les paul, which is their low end guitar.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by MAXWELLMURDER
Great tone, durable as hell, no need for a pick up change unlike the RG

Thats opinion about the tone.... Les paul and the rg are both mahogony.....

Durable? Well, i guess they are with that fatass neck of theirs...

No need for a pickup change? Sorry, but id throw in some duncans IMMEDIATELY if i bought a les paul studio, which i would never do that anyways.

Even with the pickupchange, you save about 850$ going the ibanez route, and have a much faster, metal oriented , shredding fret access MONSTER.

While the les paul is at mcdonalds getting fatter and slower.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by MAXWELLMURDER

Because Bucket Head has a customized enlarged Les Paul. He's also extremely talented.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Ibanezs seem to be popular on the UG.com. I have been taking a look at some jacksons aswell and the DXMG, and the DK2 Dinky caught my eye, anybody have any opinions on these guitars?
DK2 is an alright guitar. The neck didnt feel good to me, and standard neck joint was not up to par with a AANJ or a good neck thru provide better fret access. And, above all, the DK2 comes with a CRAP LFR trem..... If you wanted to replace that with an OFR, that would be good, but it would set you back anothr 150$.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
I'd go with ClassicAxe's suggestion of the Ibanez RG321MH + pup upgrade. IMO, Ibanez necks are ideal for shredding and metal.
Got METAL?

Quote by metacarpi
However, if we're being all grown up about this (in the pit?) walkingonspikes is dead on