Hey, ive been playing guitar for 4 years, and im starting to learn to shred and do exercices and i have a few questions for some advanced shreding people. For one thing when i do legato stuff i can make the strings ring out very loud what should i do about that? and another thing is when im playing i rest my pinky and ring finger on the pickguard of my les paul, i see that alot of very fast shreders close in all of there fingers, but i watch a M.A.B. video and he does something similar to what i do, and hes the fastest guitar player and stuff, so i dont think that this mattered to much. any help with my 2 problems would be aprecciated. Thanks.
Youve been here since 03',you should know better. why dont you try doing a search? There has been like 3 threads like this in the past 2 days.....

What MAB is doing is anchoring... To me, it provides better control and stability to your picking hand, and opposite to what alot of people say, its perfectly fine.

It might be easier for you to "shred" on a different guitar. LP's are horrible for that type of stuff.... Check into Ibanez or ESP.....

MAB DOES close all 3 fingers when anchoring, i dont know what video you watched... Hes not the fastest guitar player, but hes certainly one of them.. I dont think anybody is "fastest" once you get to that level.....

Check out www.insaneguitar.com , until then, do a search.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
To get the notes to ring out more, Try to pull your fingers away from you, rather then just OFF the fingerboard, That way it'll sort of make them ring all over again.
Some do that some dont, I put my fingers on the edge of the pickup while im sweeping to sort of give me a reference.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
MAB isn't the fastest if you only count one guitar.

Anchoring is bad, it creates tension and ruins your posture.

Chop off your pinky if you want to stop anchoring, it will help you get much faster.

Post pics if you do chop off your pinky.
Quote by Invictious
MAB isn't the fastest if you only count one guitar.

Anchoring is bad, it creates tension and ruins your posture.

Chop off your pinky if you want to stop anchoring, it will help you get much faster.

Post pics if you do chop off your pinky.

Yeh, and your an idiot.

Id like to hear your playing, see how fast you are? Since your probably so fast since you dont anchor.

MAB, Yngwie and a ton other anchor..... Why would anyone take advice froma noob like you?
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
You sir, Classicaxe, are an idiot.

Look at:

Steve Vai
Herman Li
EVH
joe Striani
Jason Becker
Zakk Wylde
Marty Friedman
Paul Gilbert
Jimi Hendrix

Just because pros do it, doesn't mean it's right, and it doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt them or injure them.

Just because you are such a pussy to actually develop a technique that is proper.

Anchoring is really bad for your hand, but since you are such an idiot, I wouldn't bother explaining it to you because you are too retarded to understand basic things like 'proper' and 'just because they do it, I can do it too'.

Why not go ask any doctor and tell them about anchoring, they will tell you it's bad bad bad.

Now go shoot yourself.
Anchoring your hand and palm muting are totally separate concepts.

Guitar Principles is a great place to go for technique. The best really.

Ultimately it is NOT a matter of preference. If you don't learn how to pick with
your hand floating, unanchored on the guitar, you will be handicapped. When
your hand is floating, it forces you to be aware of your entire arm. And your
entire arm does play a role in picking. When you've learned how to control the
pick with a your entire arm relaxed, without the crutch of anchoring your hand
on the guitar, your picking will become more fluid and faster.

It is NOT less accurate. It only seems that way to begin with, because it's more
difficult to learn.

Once you've actually learned to do this, then get into palm muting or rest your
hand if you want -- whatever the music calls for.

I've found that its only the people who can't play without anchoring, saying its
OK to anchor. That its a preference. The thing is, since they can't play without
anchoring, they have no choice in the matter. Once you've learned it its like
the difference between running and walking.