Poll Options
View poll results: Should I Be Worried?
Yes
19 25%
No
56 75%
Voters: 75.
Page 1 of 2
Ive been playing guitar 3-5 months, and i dont know any scales, i cant switch barre and open chords fast, i have no idea how to play triplets, i dunno what legato is, i dont know how to play triplets, and i cant right any songs, i have no idea what modes are, and the hopscotch method and all that ****! should i be worried?
Last edited by Arlabester at Jul 23, 2006,
Hopefully people wont come in here and smash your hopes and stuff. All I can say is Practice, Practice, Practice! I've been playing seriously for about 3 years and I still have loads of troubles with open chords and dont know many scales outside of pentatonics. The main thing is just keep at it and find a way to make your practice routine fun. It will all hopefully come to yah.
Rockybo on Gwar: "What costumes? They're from fucking outer-space, you retard."
how about you stop worrying, learn a few scales (google is ur friend), look up legato, and practice ur chords and whatnot?
yeah, everything on the internet is true, so just look up things you want to learn about, learning some theory helps all around but sometimes you have to unlearn some things later...
but don't "worry" just bang on that twanger!
Neste@
Cool@
To the core!
Three months isn't very long so unless you're a terminal cancer patient I wouldn't be worried.

Also, to ease your mind, triplets are basically three notes played in the width of one note, its kinda hard to explain but the way may high school music teacher explained it was that a triplet sounds like the word triplet; tri-pl-et, and this explanation probably makes no sense. So I guess its just three notes played one after the other in sequence in the space of a note. Make sense? probably not.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Vornik
Three months isn't very long so unless you're a terminal cancer patient I wouldn't be worried.

Also, to ease your mind, triplets are basically three notes played in the width of one note, its kinda hard to explain but the way may high school music teacher explained it was that a triplet sounds like the word triplet; tri-pl-et, and this explanation probably makes no sense. So I guess its just three notes played one after the other in sequence in the space of a note. Make sense? probably not.

makes sense, three notes in a span of one note, thanx for the feedback guys
You dont know whether youve been playing 3 or 5 months? Thats sad dude.

Relevant to the topic, no. I still dont know much of theory, but i know alot more than the virtually none i had in my head at your point. If you had MSN, i could send you some powertab documents and such of scales , modes, and beginner legato exercises, and picking exercises.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
You have a lifetime to learn it so no, I wouldn't worry about it.
Quote by Vornik

a triplet is a 3 notes in the space of 2
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
if you have only been playing for like half a year unless you have lesons of course you wont know any theory so there is no need to worry
Quote by suicideangel_2
if you have only been playing for like half a year unless you have lesons of course you wont know any theory so there is no need to worry

i take lessons, im only on the second book tho :X
Quote by spaminator101
a triplet is a 3 notes in the space of 2

Ok, if you say so, I never really payed attention to theory, play stuff by ear and whatnot.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
practice.
im better than some friends whove been playing 10x longer than me purely because i put in 100x more practice and to be honest im still pretty **** compared to other friends.
theres always someone better and you just need to keep going, right now im learning theory because i have a good grasp of actually playing stuff im moving onto writing my own, i reccomend you just keep doing chord shapes and switching and generally playing as many varied songs as you can till you get good.
Quote by Shooshooky
everything on the internet is true

Sigged.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
By the time I was 3-5 months into the guitar, I was about the same position as u are. But don't worry. These things take time.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
I've been playing guitar for about 4 years and I practiced for an hour a week for the first year and then took off, and now I'm pretty good so dont worry about it, and I still dont know what legato is so dont worry, just practice and it will come in time
Quote by 4e574e57363g

is anyone here as cool as Oblivious16037??

I think not.

GO VIKINGS!

Founder of the iPods Suck Balls Club
PM me if you wanna join!
if you wanna get really good at guitar up you practice time to to 6 hours maybe 4 and try and figure out wat you suck at doin and work on that
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
ive been playing 4 months and can already doo all that ****....and i can do it good
Quote by sandman321
ive been playing 4 months and can already doo all that ****....and i can do it good

I hope you're joking.

If not, you're either sorely mistaken and very arrogant or a prodige.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
how about you learn instead of asking questions?

Don't worry that you can't do it, worry that your wasting time instead of practicing.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
how about you learn instead of asking questions?

Don't worry that you can't do it, worry that your wasting time instead of practicing.

i practice 4 hours a day :/
Quote by sandman321

No you can't. Don't lie.
if you listned to better bands you'll prolyl be a better player stop listenin to emo guitarist
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
oh so i cant get better becuase i listen to a band i like :/

i play AC/DC too, plus MCR isnt emo, they used to be, theyre allegedly "pop-punk" i just call em punk
Ive been playing 1 and a half and still dont know what a legato is. The only scales I know are the: major scale, minor pentatonic, phrygian and whole half diminished. Only because I was bored one night and grabbed my guitar and searched google. BANG.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
im not sure if i need scales yet, plus im (guesstimation) 10 lessons away from getting to penatonic scales, and the books start to branch off into genres (they have hard rock )
Oh , hey. Fancy meeting you again. Im not sure you would need scales yet but its always good so you dont have to spend hours practising them right now like me.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
Quote by altarofdemise
Oh , hey. Fancy meeting you again. Im not sure you would need scales yet but its always good so you dont have to spend hours practising them right now like me.

lol belive it or not im lead guitar in a band , its just a middle school band tho... we're doin a talent show next year either Back in Black or Our Lady of Sorrows...
ive been playing for 2 weeks and i can shred like MAB and Yngwie*

*details apply
Brazillian Thrash Massacre
Feel proud...
So I'm not spamming. Why a band so early?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
Quote by Metallygod
ive been playing for 2 weeks and i can shred like MAB and Yngwie*

*details apply

lol, uve joined in march,

I'm in a band because we'll do covers to get "good" and then we'll write stuff in highschool, we all learned instruments to get in a band jk, but were all a bunch of noobs, that happen to like to play
Thats always good. I have a bud' to just chill and jam with.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
Don't let any smartasses try to tear you down. It's never too late to learn all that stuff, pal. I started out as a drummer, full time, picked up a guitar, play the unforgiven and slowly learned everything I know over 2 1/2 years.. I taught myself, and now I know a lot.. So, don't let people disgrace you because.. It's easy if you are determined, yano?
Quote by altarofdemise
Thats always good. I have a bud' to just chill and jam with.

my other guitarist broke his arm, he went back to sucking (i dont suck, im just kinda.... meh....)
You're doing perfectly fine, if you feel you've accomplished something - then you have. If you feel like you need more practice, then practice more. I suggest just picking up some general music theory books and/or getting yourself a reputable music instructor (if you're that serious about learning.)
Originally posted by TMH88
Im not trying to brag or anything, but im pretty good for only having been playing a month. I play about 1-2 hours every day, about 35 days strait....

Yay for 35 day months!
Quote by Eulogy
You're doing perfectly fine, if you feel you've accomplished something - then you have. If you feel like you need more practice, then practice more. I suggest just picking up some general music theory books and/or getting yourself a reputable music instructor (if you're that serious about learning.)

reputable? if you mean by a guitar teacher then yes, yes i alreadt have one, i use the Hal Leanord books, will that teach me enough, all going through book three? (im talkin just startin a garage band) and should i learn notes or tabs?
Like a school guitar teacher?
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Page 1 of 2