Ive been trying for a few days to build up the image of the fretboard in my head but cant find a technique to help memorise it besides chromatic scale which obviously helps alot. I can find notes i want but i want to know there position without thinking to much about it. Any good technique to help memorise it would be appreciated.

I also downloaded fretboard warrior and a trial version of absolute fretboard to help.
have a friend ask you to find certain notes on certain strings quick fire :>
what i do is play scales while saying out loud the names of the notes. it helps even more if you vary the scales (major, natural minor, pentatonic... theres alot of different types out there) so that you are not just memorizing the pattern of the scale but actually are learning the note placement. An added benifit is your scale playing will improve drasically thereby helping during solos.
^ How the hell do you get that to work. What's a .sit file?

EDIT: Nvm I just realized that's for macintosh
Through playing barre chords, you become familiar with the low E and A string note names. Then just remember your octave intervals to work out any other note.

e--------------6-       \
B-6--------------        Z
G--------------3-  \     /   
D-3--------------  Y
A--------------1-- /
E-1--------------            
               ^ All the same note 
  ^ All the same note.   

*Its the shape, not the fret numbers you should learn*

Simple as that!

Example; What note is 21st fret on the B string?

Use shape Z to work back to 18th fret on the D string, then use shape Y to work back to 16th fret on the low E string, which you know is G#.
Therefore 21st fret on the B string is a G#.

With time, you wont need to actually make the shape, you will be able to see in your minds eye!
You won't be around forever girl, you gotta grab life with both hands.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Tweed Fender Blues Junior
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
Last edited by Matt_M_2002 at Jul 23, 2006,
Yeah, octaves are a wonderful key to unlock the treasures of the fretboard! </cheesy guitar scam ad>
Last edited by wasp2020 at Jul 23, 2006,
okay then ill try the octave way and learn a few positions as well.

Cheers dudes.
^^^ could you explain that octave thing in more depth? i cant understand the code.

im not seeing a Z or a Y.
Last edited by Glen'sHeroicAct at Jul 23, 2006,
Can someone please tell me a lesson which teaches you the notes in Major and minor scales and give me a link.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
^^^ could you explain that octave thing in more depth? i cant understand the code.

im not seeing a Z or a Y.

There is no actual Z or Y shape being formed by your hands, I just named them that so I could talk about them for the example.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
As for Major scales, you dont need a lesson. Just remember where the half steps are;
Example is in C

W   W   H   W   W   W   H
[b]C   D   E   F   G   A   B   C[/b]

W= Whole step, or 2 frets
H- Half step, or 1 fret

If you dont understand the diagram, try this; In a major scale, there is ALWAYS a half step between the E & F and B & C.

So say you wanted to make your own C major scale on 1 string (just for simplicity);

Lets start on the C found at the 3rd fret on the A string for example.
Now you know that in a major scale, the distance between the C and D is a whole step, so move 2 frets up the fretboard (you are now at 5th fret, A string). Now the distance between D and E is also a whole step, taking you to 7th fret. However be careful now! The distance between the E and F is a HALF STEP! So now you are on the 8th fret. F and G, whole step, G and A, whole step, A and B, whole step, B and C, HALF STEP! You should now be on the C note on the 15th fret.

Congratulations, that was a major scale!

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
Last edited by Matt_M_2002 at Jul 24, 2006,
Thanks alot dudes. i get the idea now. I will use the octaves and knowledge of the notes in the scales to learn the fretboard. Thanks again.
If you want to kill two birds with one stone, then learn to read standard notation...that will get you to learn the note names in a hurry.
learn modes.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
learn all the notes from fret 1 to 12, the note on the 13th fret is the same that the one on the 1st fret, if you are smart enough, i suposse you'll figure out the rest
Inquisitor of the zeppelinism church, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Member of UG's VIVA MEXICO CLUB

Quote by Aidy Damage
I'm a sweet transvestive from transexual Transylvania