Page 1 of 3
Hey guys!

I finally got my REAL recording setup together, so I thought I'd throw some tracks together to share!

Rig hasn't changed and is in my sig!

The recording setup is:

- Shure SM57
- Mackie Onyx 400F Firewire Interface
- Apple Macbook
- LaCie 160 GB External Harddrive
- Sennheisser HD280 Pro Closed-Back Headphones
- Garageband (to be Tracktrion 2 when Apple makes an update for the Intel macs)

All comments and feedback are welcome. I didn't play with mic placement too much....found something decent and went with it. Playing isn't perfect either, but hey.

http://thatguitarkid.dmusic.com/
Last edited by ibanez4life SZ! at Jul 23, 2006,
Probably the mp3 conversion or whatever. Use Audacity and look for something on goodle called LAME mp3 encoder.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
you can use FOOBAR(google it) if you can run it on something other than OSx, it can convert m4a to WAV, and from there you can convert to whatever your little hear t desires.

since were aiming for quality here though...id say a LAME mp3 of at least equal bitrate to the m4a.

nice setup BTW!
They sound really good Eric. I downloaded a clip, and changed the extension to .wav, and they are playing for me. I like the heavy tone in "Available Time" when it kicks in, very cool. Nice work man.

oh yeah, and kickass setup
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^^^nice one, now they work.

Clips sound great, good stuff. Although the bass in Availible time could leveled down a bit.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Nice clips, nice set up...didn't sell me on the Mesa though...I'm an opinionated F*ck though
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

The clips are definitely going in the clips thread! To replace the crappy ones I have up there now!

The clips, especially the high gain ones, are of a very different Mesa tone....I hate scooping my mids....I keep the mids way up there, with everything else pretty low. Evens out perfectly IMO.

As for the setup.....

Mackie Onyx: $700
SM57: $100
Sennheissers: $100
Stand and Cables: $60

After haggling and a coupon, I walked out with all of it for a little over $700.

The Macbook was $1550 (way upgraded, but I pulled off the educational discount....I'm a highschool senior, so I technically don't apply, but I have a fullride to college, so they gave it to me)

LaCie was $160

Pricey, but beautiful. And let me tell you....I'm never going back to PCs.
the first transfer from clean to dirty was cool.
seemed like it was the right time to do it.

nice man!
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Honestly, I wasn't really impressed with the tone at all. Didn't sound anything like a Dual. I'm not big on scooped settings either, but you need more bass and less presence. You could have gotten that tone from a little solid state/hybrid Vox combo. There's no need to have a 100 watt Mesa for those kind of tones.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
hm, they sounded like crap.

the clean was really thin sounding.

the low gain sounded good for its pupose.

the heavier setting sounded really mushy. not real bite to it. not massive which is the only thing mesa is worth. massive bass, and you eq'ed it all out sounded like?
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
I like the Onyx. Is it any good with PC though? How many XLR mic inputs?
Bleh.

Member #3 of the I Am Canadian Club, pm colen or Mantiscabinet to join
Member #3 of the Necrophagist worshippers pm night_lights to join
Member #2 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Quote by gpderek09

the heavier setting sounded really mushy. not real bite to it. not massive which is the only thing mesa is worth. massive bass, and you eq'ed it all out sounded like?

thats cause youre playing on a diezel (according to your avatar)

speaking of avatar
to TS..how are those cabs?
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
i'm playing through deizel?

my avatar has several amp brands in it. because they make good stuff, including mesa.

i play a peavey XXX and fender blues jr. dude.

and no offence to eric, we're friends i'd say, but something just doesn't really sound right with the clips.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I have a black macbook

And an sm57
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Quote by electrik
Still, not enough blast beats.

::type

Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

wait, why are you waiting to use traction 2 or whatever it is, you can use bootcamp to use it on the intel macs, my bro has the macbook pro and hes using some windows stuff, but the clips were okay-good

macs pwn ::type

EDIT: i liked available time, and sometimes you need windows like my bro needs it for college engineering stuff sometimes, though windows does suck
Last edited by Teleprompters at Jul 24, 2006,
Quote by Teleprompters
wait, why are you waiting to use traction 2 or whatever it is, you can use bootcamp to use it on the intel macs, my bro has the macbook pro and hes using some windows stuff, but the clips were okay-good

macs pwn ::type

Putting windows on a mac is like giving it a self destruct button.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Quote by Cmogi10
Nice clips, nice set up...didn't sell me on the Mesa though...I'm an opinionated F*ck though

I was hoping with the better Recording setup my opinion on Mesas would change as well. Good playing though and nice setup.
Rockybo on Gwar: "What costumes? They're from fucking outer-space, you retard."
There's still room for improvement on them. Keep in mind:

a. didn't mess with mic placement very much at all (lack of time)

b. Volume was very low.....1-2 maybe? Doesn't let the full tone kick in.

Personally, I like them Not perfect, but for the time and circumstances, it works! When I have more time....work is rape right now....70 hrs a week, I'll redo them. This setup can definitely do more.

The high gain clips aren't going into power tube distortion....that's when the mesa tone kicks in....otherwise, it's more of a heavy crunch. I like it though!
Quote by TehNez
I have a black macbook

omg u realise you paid 400$ extra for the colour rite? like there is 0 difference between teh black and white one the high end scale except the colour! i wish i had that kind of money, me personally i'd rather buy a few pedals or a spare guitar.
Quote by suicidalmoose
omg u realise you paid 400$ extra for the colour rite? like there is 0 difference between teh black and white one the high end scale except the colour! i wish i had that kind of money, me personally i'd rather buy a few pedals or a spare guitar.

I have a macbook pro
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by suicidalmoose

omg u realise it's only 200$ more, and it has a bigger harddrive stock. It's really 100$ more for the color.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Sexay!!!!! I'm loving that nice mesa tone

PS, LOVE the N64 with the bass
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Last edited by CodySG at Jul 25, 2006,
Can you record something a little less gay this time by any chance? Death metal maybe?
Dude, you make the Dual sound like some AVT or MG.

Let someone like SYL have it! Oh yeah!
Yeah I'm not going to lie, the clips sounded bad.

The tones just weren't impressive, although it was very nice of you to make the clips in the first place and post them on UG. Very considerate.

While I'm at it, these clips are better than most in the clip thread.
-Mike
yeah no offence but they sucked. i'm not trying to be a arse but i was really expecting more. is there any chance you could play something heavy, something more like the amp was designed to do?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by gpderek09

If you're talking about the first track, I totally agree.

The rest of the clips sound alright. Doesn't even come close to making me want a D.Rect, though.
well its a dual rectifier. i expect nothing short of pants creaming awesomeness. nah just kidding, i just wanna hear a recto doing its thing.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Actually they aren't. In fact most of UG seems to fall for pretty much everything (ie, I've seen the Valveking being recommended in a few threads - wtf guys).
-Mike
^

no, most people just blow everything out of proportion and when it doesn't meet they're overly high expectations...

eric: on these clips, turn the volume up, but some bass in there, set the thing free dude. seriously.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Page 1 of 3