Poll: do you where ear plugs when you play with a band?
Poll Options
View poll results: do you where ear plugs when you play with a band?
Yes
33 37%
No
57 63%
Voters: 90.
^^^^^^so....
Quote by metalmiliita56
not to sound stupid but do combos sound as good as tubes?

Quote by Tom Martin

Still, use a condom - STD's arn't like pokémon - you don't get a certificate for catching them all.

Quote by Refixer
All Spiders suck. Accept it. Even the ones with legs.
ive never tried it but actually thats a good idea, if i cant hear myself my voice sometimes go out of tune:P
Yes, especially if its quite loud.

As \m/ said, i wanna be able to hear when i get older
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
most ear damage is done recording in the studio compared to playing with the band. If you don't have like headphones or something in your ear constantly then it won't damage it as much, just don't stand directly in front of your amp, give it a few feet.
I tried it a few times, it duznt help very much, when u cant hear yourself its hard to pull of some harder solos and keep in rythm. Try it, sometimes when my ears are hurtin they help perfectly.
Not at the moment. I use a small combo amp during practice that's just loud enough to get over the keyboard (hooked up to P.A. along with mic) and the drums.

If I had a half stack I sure as hell would or if I gigged.
some of these guitarists and band members have been playing since the 60's and some don't even have hearing damage, its quite odd.
^ it all depends on luck.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
yeah but the pete townshend comes along and he's nearly deaf.

i'm getting some that are made for musicians cause i tried the normal foam ones and it killed the tone and cut out all but the cymbals and my top end... it sucked i took them out halfway through the gig.
Quote by phoenix_88
yeah but the pete townshend comes along and he's nearly deaf.

i'm getting some that are made for musicians cause i tried the normal foam ones and it killed the tone and cut out all but the cymbals and my top end... it sucked i took them out halfway through the gig.

He's nearly deaf because the drummer blew up his kit and Pete stood in front of it, like 5 feet away. That's the main reason, of course having among the loudest concerts of the decade didn't help .
Although i don't i really should, it does more good than not wearing them.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Most always I don't wear them, but if we are checking to see if we're "nsync" lol, then yeah we do. So then we can see if our timing is right

But that's really the only reason I think it's neccessary, if it's too loud for your ears, turn your stuff down :P

but if your talking about ear plugs that don't cover all the sound, then yeah it's a good idea for louds bands
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
I'm going to buy some earplugs for myself, since I learned at a Static X / Ill Nino / Opiate For The Masses concert that I don't really enjoy having my ears ringing for three days straight. But it was a ****ing wicked night. I got thrashed and I was center in the moshpit. Totally worth it.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
Played bagpipes for 5 years with no earplugs - lost some hearing already and it's a problem. I mishear people all the time and when watching TV if I block off my good ear ( on the bagpipes the sound comes from the left ) I can't hear the TV anymore.

I played an acoustic gig - 2 songs, about 10 mins my slot lasted. I still went up with earplugs just knowing that it'd all be miked. No problems hearing myself. I swear by my earplugs.

I have a cheap set of Musician's Earplugs that cost £12. ER-20's by Etyomic Research if Igot the spelling right there. Only use them when playing with drums, miked or with others if I'm playing guitar.
yes i do actually.
everytime we have practice.
not a big deal.
Gear:::

Schecter C1 Classic - drop C - .11's
Ibanez rg321 (emg 81/85) - drop D - .10's
----------------------
Peavey 6505+
Peavey XXX 412 cab
Crate VTX212b Combo - practice amp.
----------------------
ibanez TS9

Quote by Jetty
yes i do actually.
everytime we have practice.
not a big deal.

X2ed
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
I do playing live, but we generally don't crank it up for practice. I also do when I rap, so I can hear my own voice as others would, as does my band's rapper/singer.
Absolutely. They make us wear them at the pistol range, and if a firearm will make you deaf then so will drums and guitars.
Nothing I come in contact with musically is loud enough to cause damage, in my mind. No 100w tube amps cranked, no Blue Voodoos, etc.
^ Yeh dude, over time, you'll tell it...
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Zakk Wylde never wears earplugs, and his ears ring "all the time". Thats gotta suck.
I have to, I have very little hearing left as it is and I cherish the amounts that are left. u_u
i hope they cannot see
the limitless potential
building inside of me
to murder everything
i hope they cannot see
i am the great destroyer
Quote by Keef-is-king
i don't wear ear plugs, but you can bet i wear pants!

Okay?
The Don of the UG Mafia, PM me to join the family.

General of the Rage Against the Myspace Club, PM me to enlist.

Member #2 of the 'Shut the fuck up and respect other people's music' Club.' PM TheGospelOfRob to join.
Quote by Sir Edwin CBE

I have a cheap set of Musician's Earplugs that cost £12. ER-20's by Etyomic Research if Igot the spelling right there. Only use them when playing with drums, miked or with others if I'm playing guitar.

Yeah, I got two pairs of them new off eBay. $12 ea shipped. One pair for me, one for my bassist. They work great. It IS just like I turned the volume down.
Quote by SuperAnalytical
Nothing I come in contact with musically is loud enough to cause damage, in my mind. No 100w tube amps cranked, no Blue Voodoos, etc.

Loud noises over time can and will damage your hearing.
i dont

im too lazy to buy ear plugs
Gear:
PRS Custom SE
Shit Strat
line6 spider II 112 (worst choice of my life)
Squier 10 watt (sounds better than the spider)
Digitech rp200
Rocktron Silver Dragon

Quote by FretboardToAsh
he's right, and he plays prs so that's proof.
Quote by DehumanizeR
no, I wear earmuffs

Realy? what color...
Quote by metalmiliita56
not to sound stupid but do combos sound as good as tubes?

Quote by Tom Martin

Still, use a condom - STD's arn't like pokémon - you don't get a certificate for catching them all.

Quote by Refixer
All Spiders suck. Accept it. Even the ones with legs.
i use it for all my practices and live gigs. It actually helps me to hear myself sing
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic