Say you want to play something like this...

Both E and A srings on the 5th fret...or any fret at the same time like a power chord.

Is that cosidered musical if your in standard tuning? I know in drop d its a power chord but what about standard? Is it something you guys use or what?
My Gear:

2006 Ibanez RG321MH (Swineshead Custom A.M.P. neck & Warthog bridge)
Roland Cube 30
Digitech RP-50
Koss Headphones

Swineshead Runaway Neck
1984 Peavey Mystic
Crate GX15 (overdrive channel is blown)
yeah look at like, hot for teacher by van halen. best example i can think of off the top of my head.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
BC Rich Platinum Series Beast
Epiphone Goth Les Paul
Fender 60th Anniversary Strat
Hartke GT100 Head
Hartke GH412a Cabinet
Dunlop Classic Wah
Danelectro FAB Metal
DOD Phaser Pedal
Boss DS-1
Digitech Death Metal
it's not a power chord power chords are a 5th away or something like that in drop D playing the same note on the 6th and 5th string are like playing a normal powerchord in standard tuning I believe
To above poster: i think i said that in my post

Anyways i guess the cube is good, id like a lil more Death metal distortion but its good as it is since i dont have a distortion pedal...
My Gear:

Roland Cube 30
Digitech RP-50
Koss Headphones

Swineshead Runaway Neck
1984 Peavey Mystic
Ok ive never looked at the tabs for HfT by VH but he uses this huh? So its ok to do. Im wondering this cuz it gives more UMPH or somethin rather than a basic power chord, and i dont want to drop my tuning
My Gear:

Roland Cube 30
Digitech RP-50
Koss Headphones

Swineshead Runaway Neck
1984 Peavey Mystic
everything is musical in someway, no matter how dissonant it sounds. anyway...

In your example, if A is your root note, you would be playing D (it's 4th) as well. This would make it part of a sus4 chord.

and if D is your root note, then the A would be its 5th, allowing it to be a part of almost any D-related chords (Dmaj, Dmin, D7 etc.)

So in short, yeah you can use those two notes together in plenty of different ways.

EDIT: and chances are, you'd use it with D as the root, in case you were wondering.
[SIZE=
Last edited by SupImJimmy at Jul 23, 2006,
haha, alright you guys...i just wanted to check up on here. Become a little wiser i guess, also i never heard anyone do it without it being Drop tuning. Soooo thanks for all the replies and everything
My Gear:

Roland Cube 30
Digitech RP-50
Koss Headphones

Swineshead Runaway Neck
1984 Peavey Mystic
SupImJimmy beat me to it.

Using his example, if you want to make the A the root note, the D is going to be the 4th, which is, like he said, part of a sustained4 chord.

If you want to make the root note D, A is going to be its 5th. This makes the chord a powerchord. A powerchord consists of a root and its 5th, so it is a legitamite powerchord. It has more oomph, however, because of the fact that the 5th is an octave lower than in a typical powerchord.

For the record, this technique is called a "doublestop."
Quote by lespaul_rentals
SupImJimmy beat me to it.

Using his example, if you want to make the A the root note, the D is going to be the 4th, which is, like he said, part of a sustained4 chord.

If you want to make the root note D, A is going to be its 5th. This makes the chord a powerchord. A powerchord consists of a root and its 5th, so it is a legitamite powerchord. It has more oomph, however, because of the fact that the 5th is an octave lower than in a typical powerchord.

For the record, this technique is called a "doublestop."

haha, I guess I did leave out that it was still a technical "powerchord". That was really the first time I tried to explain anything theory-wise, so thanks for reaffirming what I said. I'm trying to increase my own knowledge of this kind of stuff as well as the threadstarter's.
[SIZE=