ive jammed a few times with a couple people from my school, and we tried to start a band. the other guitarist, however, is basically a shredder, like he can all kinds of music, but he prefers shred. so when we try to play a song, he like gets ADD and goes off into some random solo lke right in the middle of practice. its happened a few times, so i stopped jammin with him, but now, no one in my school plays, so hes my only option.. ay tips on how to keep him focused??

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
yeah if you jam when your baked you pretty much lose all guitar ability.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
BC Rich Platinum Series Beast
Epiphone Goth Les Paul
Fender 60th Anniversary Strat
Hartke GT100 Head
Hartke GH412a Cabinet
Dunlop Classic Wah
Danelectro FAB Metal
DOD Phaser Pedal
Boss DS-1
Digitech Death Metal
well my badn had that same problem for a long LONG time. now we have sign for when someone is ****ing around and not focused we make a kinda jerkin off hand motion and then everyone knows we need to focus again. it works really well. do something like that
I've been playing with other musicians since I was 15 (7 years). In that time I have played with people who basically sounded like it was their first day playing guitar to some people who got offers to join Shaina Twain's band. For the people that were far worse than me, I tried to show them stuff and for the most part, it failed. Most of them no longer play an instrument. There's also this one guy who I have played off and on with for the past 6 years and could be considered one of my "musician friends." Even though he can hold a beat on drums, he overplays extremely and won't listen to anything you tell him (much like the guy in your problem) This caused my friend to get fired from a band he formed and is a reason he is no longer welcome to join with me. When you constantly have to tell someone the same thing, it gets old fast.

Basically, the way it is now is I audition every musician or band who plays with me. If they are not up to par, I do not bother with them. It sounds cocky, but that's what it comes to in some situations. That guy is NOT the only guy in your school who plays. I went to a high school with a student population of about 300, out of those ...12 played an instrument or sang for a rock band setting. Out of those 12, maybe 3 still play today.

Myspace is a great way to meet other musicians in your area. Sit in with other bands if you can. You don't have to have a full band to jam with someone. Take the acoustic guitar to a busy part of your town. Playing with as many different people as possible is very important. I would recommend playing with people better than you if you can find them. Don't be afraid to play with older guys either.

Performing music is part knowledge, part skill, part feeling, and part COMMUNICATION.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Quote by houseofllama
tell him to quit the frickin' random shredding...I dunno, seems simple to me...

like i havent tried that.. we were just like "wtf dude pay attention" and that didnt exactly work...

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
well, in my opinion, you have two options:

1. Get rid of him and find somebody else, possibly here www.bandmix.com

2. Feed his ego...as much as it may kill the band to do so, if he has talent, he has talent...and the only way to keep him on track is to give him an oppurtunity to unleash the fury...after a few verses and choruses, play a backing track and let him have his self-indulgent guitar solo ala Dragonforce...who knows, it may enhance the song in general

1 may be a bit farfetched and more difficult, so just try the second
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Last edited by axe_grinder247 at Jul 24, 2006,