I know this is an embarassing question, but I can't play octave-based power chords. I have been playing guitar for a while now and I don't know why I can't play this. I see them in tabs for my favorite songs all the time. What I'm talking about is this:

el-----l
Bl-----l
Gl-5--l
Dl-x--l
Al-3--l
El-----l

Can anyone explain to me how to play this, and how it sounds, maybe put up a recording of it being played?
Either finger it like a regular 3 finger power chord but mute the D string or use two fingers, one on the G string and one on the A string tilted over the D, muting it.
Sorry if this is difficult to understand.
i like to do it by muting all six strings w/ my index finger and fingering the two notes w/ my middle and pinkie finger. it works for me, and i suggest you give it a try.
"There is no position in sport as noble as goaltending"
- Vladislav Tretiak
i'd just place my index finger on the A string, third fret. and my ring finger on the G string, fifth fret. kind of like a two string power chord only with my ring finger one string up and the D string muted wit my index finger.
its just like a power chord, except you have to use a lighter touch, lightly holding a finger on the middle string to mute it, only hearing the root and. fifth i think. usually sounds lighter.
Whatever finger your putting on the A string, instead of holding only the tip on the fret, place it so your finger is also muting the D string.
Quote by soccermom
Of course eating unbelievable amounts of anything can probably harm you, but i chose bananas because they look like willies.
I used to have a problem with these too. I would always hit the low E string by accident, if you have to you can bring up your middle finger to mute the low E as well.
Can these be played acoustic, or do I have to use my amp and distortion? So basically with these, you are just playing the root 1st and the 8th/octave, since the 5th is being muted??
Quote by bandgeek10
Can these be played acoustic, or do I have to use my amp and distortion? So basically with these, you are just playing the root 1st and the 8th/octave, since the 5th is being muted??

Yep. Just make sure you mute the string with the fifth one it
Quote by ForKix
I used to have a problem with these too. I would always hit the low E string by accident, if you have to you can bring up your middle finger to mute the low E as well.

you could also use your thumb to mute the e string. thats what i do. but i also have big hands and am able to play barre chords the way hendrix did (using the thumb to fret the 6th string root while using the other fingers to play the rest of the chord). but to mute with your thumb you cant play power chords with your thumb on the back of the neck. so if you do it that way you'd have to change the way you play it.
i put my index finger on the highest string, in this case A, then mute the D string with my middle finger and play the G string with the finger between my middle and little (sorry cant remember what its called), dunno if this is the right way or not but it works for me