Should i stand up while i practice by myself at guitar? I sit all the time while practicing and i was wondering if i should start standing up. Is it better to stand up and practice?
imo i think standing up is the best way to practice for acoustic or electric. I just think its easier.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
if i play to a track in the background, or CD i stand...just to headbang and pretend im on stage.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
It's a good idea to stand, especially if you're a beginner. Standing while playing isn't easy at first, it takes time.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
I used to sit but i stand now as much as i can
when i first started Gigging, playing standing up has a totally different feel than sitting
it was really hard to get used to
now i always stand
its funner :>
i have problem i like playing my guitar standing up but the strap on my electric wont hold my guitar angled up so if i put my guitar on angled up and and just leave it alone the guitar will just drop straight like this

______ ____
/ \__/ \ ____
| \__________________/ \
| || II II __________________ |
| ___ / \____/
\______/ \____/

so it gets irritating always having to hold my guitar with my arm when I stand up
Quote by rockr09
ur guitar is supposed to be angled up when u stand?

You can angle it however you want. Zakk Wylde's guitar neck is almost straight into the air, while Eddie Van Halen's is straight across his body. Guys who wear their strap low tend to angle their necks.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
When you angle it up TOO MUCH the strap will slip off ...DUH.

You don't have to angle it..look at James Hetfield.

All depends.

Oh and I like sitting down when I play some semi complex stuff ( ye ye I know..I'm getting there :P) but for some songs like Angel Of Death and Master Of Puppets ( \m/) I prefer standing as my arms gets sore when I sit down.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
i think it would help to stand but who really cares if you sit?
i'm one of those people that roll their terds into balls and eat crayons... can you find me a home?
Quote by Eternal_One
When you angle it up TOO MUCH the strap will slip off ...DUH.

You don't have to angle it..look at James Hetfield.

All depends.

Oh and I like sitting down when I play some semi complex stuff ( ye ye I know..I'm getting there :P) but for some songs like Angel Of Death and Master Of Puppets ( \m/) I prefer standing as my arms gets sore when I sit down.

Strap Locks...DUH.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468

it's true
It depends on if you are thinking about doing gigs in the future. If you think you might get to that point, then I would definitely start practicing while standing up. It is surprisingly hard to learn how to play flawlessly while standing up.

Quote by Stop Messin'
Strap Locks...DUH.

Thank you! Well put
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

I think it is easier to play standing up if you wear your guitar strap when your sitting down and have the strap holding the guitars weight instead of letting your guitar sit on your leg
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
When first learning a song I sit but when Im trying to perfect it I stand, because Its more fun that way, and also more difficult, which means it takes more practice.
Quote by friendoftheend
I think it is easier to play standing up if you wear your guitar strap when your sitting down and have the strap holding the guitars weight instead of letting your guitar sit on your leg

But then your guitar is gonna be way high when you play standing up, and that's just not cool.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
I generally like to sit while playing acoustic, whether a gig or practice, and stand with my electric. It's all about personal preference, man.
I'm too lazy to stand, especially when I practice for hours on end.
You are not a slave...
Quote by invisible_man
But then your guitar is gonna be way high when you play standing up, and that's just not cool.

If a guitarist worries more about how cool he looks rather then how good he sounds, he shouldn't be playing.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468

it's true
Half of rock is Image.
Its not stupid.
Its stupid to lake it take precedent over your ability though.
Just practice w/ it lower.
I have mine below my waist. I can play fine.
I play straight across, van halen style, Its easier to pick. I pick at a perpendicular angle, so that lets me pick straight up and down. If Im playing a complicated solo I put one knee on a speaker or the amp.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Look, guitarists are selfconscious creatures, i play with the guitar around my waist and crotch.

Look at the trivium guitarist and he plays it at quite an angle, and look at Daron malakian, straight across.

Learn a song standing up, because when you perform, you want to stand up.