I've written alot of songs. Today I was thinking about how many songs have been written. Let's refer specifcally to rock music; I mean think about it - rock songs have been being written for over 50 years. To other songwriters, do you ever get the feeling that every melody, every chord progression, etc.. has already been used? It's just something I was thinking about
there is a good chance that most chord progressions have been used, or at least most that sound ok anyway. as for melodies, i definatly find it not too tough to come up with new ones when i try. like i was messing around with this nice chord progression the other day, and im pretty sure someone at some point in time played it. but the melody i put over top of it is definatly mine. you just gotta work with it and you can come up with decently original sounding stuff.
^ At least all of the simple ones have been used... I think I can say with some confidence that nobody's used the progression, melody, or texture of the little piece (only 20 measures or so) I wrote tonight. There's a lot of stuff that hasn't been tried, if you're willing to expand outside of diatonic harmony.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
another thought when making music is tht when u make some new riff or sumtin ...u feel like uv heard it b4.it can b frustrating after u feel very proud of all the work u did in trying to make ur song as original as possible ......
There are infinite possibilities in the writing of music. Just because the song has the same chord progression doesn't mean it has the same melody, tempo, or even the same sound as another song. The smallest change in the rhythm bewteen the bass and the drums and the guitar can altar the sound of the song immensely. Sure your song may sound similiar to another song, but with different lyrics no one will notice, unless they say "This sounds like..." which benefits you because they are more likely to be interested in the song.

Rock music grows on itself, meaning it should sound like other songs. Thats the progression of rock music, which has evovled since it began in the early 60's.

Don't ban Good Charlotte! They make everyone who plays tasteful music look and sound better!
Last edited by chopps00 at Jul 24, 2006,
Quote by chopps00

Don't ban Good Charlotte! They make everyone who plays tasteful music look and sound better!

i agree.
The chord progressions have all been used. But, as already mentioned, there is a lot more to a good song than just the chord progression. It's also just as important how you play the progression. One exercise I use in my lessons is to give a student a really common chord progression like I vi ii V and get them to experiment with different ways to play it. If you do it well, you can almost "hide" the progression so it doesn't sound obvious. A few things to try are: different rhythms, how long you stay on each chord, voicings, and style of music.
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com
^ i would have to disagree and say all the simple basic chord progressions have been used but mathmatically speaking there is NO WAY everything has been done.....