What's the deal?
Why not just use a pick?
Light gauge, mid gauge, heavy gauge?
What r the pro's and con's?
Which gauge u think's the best for shredding?
What gauge fits well for death, thrash, metalcore, speedmetal, progressive?
Last edited by JVDumarC at Jul 24, 2006,
It's just preference. Whatever gauge you feel most comfortable with is the one to use.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
alot has to do with what style of music. For acoustic u mainly want a lighter pick so u can strum easier and for maybe faster playing u might want a heavier pick. Also alot has to do with preferance.
well, for metal, i like thicker yet flexible guages because i can pick really fast and then turn around and do a quick pinch harmonic...but for acoustic, it's better to use a thinner pick because you want a lighter sound and a thick pick will give you a...rougher sound
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
i use 1 mm and ppl tell me thats really heavy. friend of mine uses really light to plat speed/death metal so pick bends instead of catching on the string when yer playin crazy fast **** on one string
yeah I prefer light picks than thick picks, cuz I feel my hands more "free" or sumthin...
My current picks gauge is .73...
A 1mm it's really thick... thick picks don't help much at the time for shredding.
i use 1mm's regularly but shredding i use these gibson picks my teacher gave me...you can pick really fast because even though they're thick, they're somehow flexible...they're good if you're like speed picking forever and nothing else...
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
.....If Fender DID buy out Jackson, Im quitting guitar and music. Would hate to see the same model of a jackson, the Jackocaster, sold every year with little or no change.
lol mines a 2 gauge for electrics, acoustics I use lighter picks.
The Don of the UG Mafia, PM me to join the family.

General of the Rage Against the Myspace Club, PM me to enlist.

Member #2 of the 'Shut the fuck up and respect other people's music' Club.' PM TheGospelOfRob to join.
Mines 3.0m Dunlop Big Stubby
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
yeah my friend uses a 2mm too for death metal...i have no idea why the hell he does that, it sounds terrible...
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL

Quote by insideac
I prefer thick picks, I use 1.0 and 1.14, I play Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal, and Death Metal. Basically it's just preference.
Gear:ESP B50 Bass , Ibanez Bass Practice amp, Dean Vendetta 4F , Dean TEVO, Epiphone Special SG, Dimarzio pickups, 30-watt Randall combo, 95Q Crybaby wah, Dunlop Picks, Dadarrio strings, MXR six-band eq.
I like Big Stubby picks, except for the fact that they always broke in the middle part where the logo is. I stopped using them b/c i broke them so often.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i use a 1 mm kozik pick
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
I like a pic that's not too thick but either too thin... kinda flexible...

Thick gauge picks help your strings to break sooner than what they really long...
well it looks like it's definetely preference...
I use a .73 Dunlop Ultex, it do great to me for shredding...
I play metalcore, death, black, and emo... so it's very versatile...
Quote by michaelcyborg
i use an orange tortex. i dont know the gauge, i just always liked the feel.

.60mm
Quote by Invictious
Homemade Credit Card SHARP-Edged Triangle Picks

2.0mm Delrin Picks

3.00 Jazz Picks

might as well just use a chunk of wood for a pick.....those are thinker than hell
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
a lot of more hardcore shredders, like the ones that have been doin it for a while, suggest you just bite the bullet and start of with a thick pick, their uncomfortable at teh start but when u start really pickin some skill up they can add quite a bit to your coordination and speed, whereas with a thinner pick you might find yourself limited and have to convert to a thicker pick which might take some extra time / learning to get used to.

i use really thin picks for playing clean or acoustic guitar, prefer to use my fingers really.
Quote by numbfinger
might as well just use a chunk of wood for a pick.....those are thinker than hell

Naww, 3mm are the most I can stand, credit cards are pretty thin.

those delrin picks kick ass, but the credit card picks are still my fav
I use med guage picks, because I have heavy guage strings.
You are not a slave...