Well..obviously?
#2 fanboy of Conor Oberst pm frd_mrshall to join
No.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Somewhat. Some of it can be perception, depending on how you arrange notes and such. A good example is the band UnderOath. In their new album, I thought they had downtuned to Drop C, but they just made good use of unusual dissonance chords and arranging powerchords well. And how heavy your tone is can come from your amp. If you downtune to Drop C and play through a Fender, you're gonna sound heavier, but not that much heavier tonewise. If you downtune to Drop C and play through a Mesa Recto, you're gonna be a chug-chug machine.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
well maybe it might cause more vibration....and it makes bending easier...... but most of the time i stay in standard....
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
no, it doesnt, listen to early anthrax, like among the living. heavy(imo) but not downtuned. why? scott beats the **** out of the strings.
Well it makes a lower sound then the matching positions of standard tunings, so I qualify that as heavier.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
^anthrax isnt heavy at all.

that said, For Whom the Bell Tolls is heavy as, and its in standard. then again, listen to some death metal after that, its much heavier.

Drop A tuning ftw!
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Anthrax is heavy. If you look at it from the point of view from a metal listner, not really, but for the sake of everyone else (this ain't the metal forum), Anthrax is heavy.

It depends. You've gotta have some attitude behind the downtuning. Some of that ridiculously low tuning stuff with repetitive growls and blast beats with songsthat last for 2 minutes (eg alot of gore grind) is heavy by definition, but to me it's also so overdone that any 'heaviness' is lost in the boring repitition of the song, while a band like Vital Remains could play something in D that just kicks ass.
yes, the overall sound of each string will be lower and deeper if you de-tune it, but that doesnt necessarily mean it will make it heavier....
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
In the words of that dude whos name i've forgotten "You dont have to tune low to be heavy" those who've seen the roadrunner united DVD will know who i'm on about, this guy started tuning lower afterwards but it is true that you dont have to tune low to be heavy, its about what you play that makes it heavy
down tuning a step can be cool at times for experimenting and practicing. i prefer standard tuning for solo's and occasionally down tuning for rythm parts. also makes the sound a bit fuller without a bass player.
down tuning doesnt make heavy sounds...like was said before its the riff

i believe most or all pantera is in standard and dime wrote alot of heavy music

its all in how you play and attack the strings
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

slow attack and light muting gets a very heavy sound with the mids scooped on your amp. That I experiensed some days ago with a cheap strat knock off with just single coils (just a good kock off though, Morgan) tuned in standard E
Not really, there have been heavy songs written in standard tunings, and heavy songs written in lower tunings.

Being slow (For example, end of Pantera - Domination = In standard tuning and heavy as ****) or being fast (Slayer - Raining Blood, yeah ok it's tuned down half a step but it's not a huge difference, it's still heavy when you transpose it up half a step) can also be heavy.

So tuning down isn't the be-all-and-end-all of being heavy, but it's one way of doing it.

Want to get low sounding riffs in standard tuning? Try playing the root on the A string and the 5th on the E string, for example:

A:-5-3-2-
E:-5-3-2-

I think I'd best ask this question here rather than starting a new thread. If I wish to downtune to say, Drop C, without the strings being excessively limp (especially the lowest string), will a larger string gauge help, and if so, what gauge is best?
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
Quote by TeenBite
I think I'd best ask this question here rather than starting a new thread. If I wish to downtune to say, Drop C, without the strings being excessively limp (especially the lowest string), will a larger string gauge help, and if so, what gauge is best?

I use 11s but I had to do a light setup when I switched from 9s.
*My Gear*

Schecter S-1
Fender MIM Strat (soon to be hotrodded)
Fender Acoustic/electric
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Ya just increase your string size but you may need to do a setup if your making a big jump
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join