Is there a need for a compressor pedal in front of a tube amp? I've read somewhere that a tube amp has a naturally compressed sound or something.

thanks

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
ok. BUt what about with a clean sound?

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

sorry to ask a question in your thred but wat do commpressors do
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by latinosuperstud
if i buy a les paul studio and walk out into public a man in a clown and/or gorilla suit named tyrese, will come attack me and/or rape me
Quote by spiritinthesky9
sorry to ask a question in your thred but wat do commpressors do

compressors tighten up the sound and give it less range so it sounds more focussed. under distortion this is usally pretty essential - removes the flabby distortion epidemic. it also adds a hell of a lot of sustain.
compressors make for less dynamics in volume, making everything ~the same volume.

meaning you get a lot more sustain, you sound a lot cleaner, and 'tighter'
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Im a big fan of Compression it keeps everything very tight and focued the way i like it. It doesnt let the distortion get to flabby of woofy or anything. And it makes the cleans very nice
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
There's a Boss one (CS-3) if you're on a budget.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I have heard good things about the DBX compressors also i know alesis makes a compressor but im not to sure about ti there digital EQs are awesome though
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I like the way compression effects clean sounds better than distorted tones. 99.9% of the public(including non-musicians) in oblivious to compression pedals but it can really tighten up and improve your tone
Quote by Gutch220
I like the way compression effects clean sounds better than distorted tones. 99.9% of the public(including non-musicians) in oblivious to compression pedals but it can really tighten up and improve your tone

i did a bit of research and it seems ure right, apparently compression is way more effective clean than it is distorted.

but what if most of your distortion was coming from your preamp and you put the compression in the effects loop?
well, my friend has the mxr dyna comp and loves it.

EDIT: i wouldn't try a compression pedal in the effects loop. there are very few pedals that do well in the effects loop, and besides, compressing after the preamp would be wierd.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
The problem in putting a compressor in front of the amp is your tone will sound more compressed(shocking i know). An open uncompressed tone sounds more natural when playing in the clean channel. Now if your pickups suck then it might not matter, but w/ a compressor you might loose some high and low end.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by suicidalmoose
i did a bit of research and it seems ure right, apparently compression is way more effective clean than it is distorted.

but what if most of your distortion was coming from your preamp and you put the compression in the effects loop?

I think you should definately keep your compressor before your pre-amp
I wonder why so many people treat this like they're trying to figure out whether someone has a hairline fracture without an X-ray machine... Try the compressor between your guitar and amp. Then try it in your FX loop. Whichever one you like better, go with. Simple. Easy. Done.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
I wouldnt want a compressor in front of a tube amp because then I cant get those bluesy dynamics. Its nice with high gain though.

you can get nice hendrix-like bluesy cleans with a compressor though
I disagree, if I were playing that song I would definately use a compressor with a strat on the neck pick-up
Wow, so many replies !!

So, the bottom line of the discussion and my understanding is, for a tube amp in the overdrive mode, you dont need a compressor pedal in front of the amp since the tube characteristics naturally compress the sound. ( one more reason why all-tube amps are more desired than SS ).

But with a clean sound, adding a compressor would help the notes sound more even than go up and down in volume. So, its a good addition in front of a tube amp.

Please correct me if i am wrong with any of the two statements.

As far as the other replies go, this is my 2 cents ...
You dont want to have the effect in the FX loop since manytimes, players boost their volume by using a overdrive pedal or something. At that time, the compressor with try to reduce the overall volume ( that is what a compressor does, ... well one of the tasks it does... reduce loud volumes and increase low volumes. Since the attack time is as less as 100ms, you will hear all the notes flowing evenly ) and so, there is no effect of using the overdrive pedal to boost your solo. Its recommended that the compressor be the first pedal your guitar is plugged into.

The Behringer compressor CS100 or something is very good. Its rated better than a boss comp. But above 12' o clock on the sustain and level, you will need some sort of noise cancelling pedal.

thanks

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

I actually use my compressor as a boost pedal sometimes, I turn the attack low and the output volume high (maybe around 2 o'clock). Works pretty well.

I have a Boss CS-3. Not bad for the price.
I have an Ibanez Tube King cp 999 (aka Maxon RCP 665) and Maxon cp 101. The tube one works fine, but it's noisy. the cp 101 is less noticible when playing and gives some nice colour to your playing. Whereas the Ibanez Tube King is more suitable to play clean, cp 101 is beiitrd used with a slight overdrive.

Look at these samples from a few official websites

Maxon cp 101
http://maxonfx.com/mp3/cp101.mp3

Maxon rcp 660 it's more expressive indeed, but may be even extra.
http://maxonfx.com/mp3/rcp660.mp3

the the end if this sample a comp starts working
http://maxonfx.com/mp3/od808.mp3

And finally here is an appropriate way IMO to use a compressor (Paige Harwell plays)
http://media.zzounds.com/media/sparkledrive-hoedown-c04e7ef266becdba39c10257a889f9b5.mp3
Last edited by separanets at Jul 24, 2006,
Well I find that it can be used as a boost to compress on a tube amp at hig vvolumes, gives it a tighter, more brutal sound for me (I play metal) but it makes clean sounds sound too unnatural. But then again I use the amps built in compressor.