How would i describe the difference between rhythm and lead to a begginner. I know the difference but I cant quite put it into words
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
rythm=powerchordes
lead=same powerchordes but plays solo

lol <3
INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds turnips or rutabagas, peeled and diced (about 4 medium turnips or 1 small rutabaga)
2/3 cup half-and-half or evaporated milk
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, or to taste
Rhythm plays chords, Lead plays melody.

Unless you want an even remotely in depth answer, or something >_>
hell I just play one note and let the whammy bar do the rest, with my trusty other dude playing half decent stuff in the background.
Originally Posted by Eric 666
if I had sex with my clone...I'd have a big dick in my ass.

Quote by Final !mpact
I mean 'Really Retarded' in the nicest way possible by the way.

Member 37 Of The RHCP fanclub.
Bruce Springsteen Fan?
My Myspace
Quote by wasp2020
Rhythm plays chords, Lead plays melody.

Unless you want an even remotely in depth answer, or something >_>

um, I thought you could play lead using chords.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
you can.... rythm doesnt mean you play chords....chords can be used in rythm as well as lead. You can still play lead (Kind of) and be playing rythm. Pearl Jam's a good example, apart from alive because that is cords lol. erm yeah so rythm can jsut try and keep the beat and fill in some gaps in the song that could sound a bit empty and all together make the song sound fuller...or atleast thats what i think.
ummm... rhythm carries the rhythm of the song... leads follows the rhythm, accents and enhances.
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
You can't really explain rhythm to someone. Its best they find out on there own. However, I'll try me best.

Rhythm is what keeps the beat and keeps the song flowing. Rhythm is constant, it is dividing equally into the song. Thats whats called a measure of music. Usually a measure consists of four beats. If one measure is four beats, the rest in the song usually are too. To keep a song flowing, a rhythm guitarist must play the same pattern over 1-8 measures (usually 2-4). That means that the rhythm you choose must be repeated again and again, with little variation, until the rhythm or chord changes after 8 measures or so. Usually the rhythm guitarist is anchored on the same chord for at least 4 measures.

A lead guitarist must follow the same basic rules, but is not usually anchored on any particular note. However, he is required to play the notes from the scale that fit the chord. From there it is all about what sounds good. Usually the lead player creates the melody that defines the song, while the rhythm player creates a "base" along with the bassist and drummer to give the lead player a basis to play off of.

Confused? Right. Its almost impossible to be told what rhythm is. Get a book on it and read and practice. This site is fun and informative, but its hard to learn a vital concept like rhythm and lead.

rythm=powerchordes
lead=same powerchordes but plays solo

Thank God not everyone plays like that. Blah!
Last edited by chopps00 at Jul 24, 2006,