first of all, can someone point me to clips of amps that display these characteristics. and from what i was told in an earlier post, eq pedals can swing it one way or another. so how do you set up the eq pedal? does it go before the amp, or thru the effects loop? also, should you set the amp's tone by the eq to your liking, having all the tone knobs on the amp at neutral? and then use them to further shape the sound? or the reverse. seems like you have to start with some kind of baseline.

also, where would boogies fit into the voicing spectrum? and are they pretty much all the same style (ie: bright/dark/modern)? for the record i have a 50 cal.+ combo.
theres a way an amp's low-mid region reacts that gives it either a darkish or bright ish feel.

using an eq to boost that range would make it sound darker, lowering it would make it seem brighter.

for vintage/modern voicing..

listen to some classic rock distortion, then listen to newer distortion.

distortions have changed over the years.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Yes if you have a lot of low mids the amp tends to be darker.

Rectos are Modern voiced amps and Are extremely dark.

Dark Amps are as such
Mesa Rectos
Peavey 5150
Bogners
Framus etc....

Bright Amps
Marshall JCM 800
ENGLs

You just have to play and see what you like.

And as for an EQ pedal your amps should allready be EQd it just boosts or cuts the frequencies you can set all to neutral and just play with them to your desire
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
^ Ya bogners and Framus are alot darker
ok just found a site rocksolidamps.com that had, among several clips, 1 that specified bright, and one labeled dark. why isn't it termed "muddy, indistinguishable and flabby" vs. "slightly clearer, a little less indistinguishable and not quite as flabby"?

btw they were both engls, so what does that say about me?
I understand exactly what your saying man i dont like Dark Amps either I use a Peavey 5150 and use the Rhythm channel so i can get it Bright and Articulate. Because im not a big fan of Dark amps either
Quote by sethp
ok just found a site rocksolidamps.com that had, among several clips, 1 that specified bright, and one labeled dark. why isn't it termed "muddy, indistinguishable and flabby" vs. "slightly clearer, a little less indistinguishable and not quite as flabby"?

btw they were both engls, so what does that say about me?

You probably just don't like Dark voiced amps.

I prefer brighter tone myself.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Syn Harvest
^ Ya bogners and Framus are alot darker

bogner's are far from dark, i've played most of them except the metropolis and that new duende, but as a whole they can get pretty bright. They're only dark if the treble is under 11 o' clock, but otherwise they are not what i would consider dark amps.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Hmm when i played it it was very dark maybe ill have to play with it a little more i only had like 20 mins on it