i wrote a post on how i cant seem to play guitar very well titled 'help, im lame at guitar' inside that thread i told you how i messed up a school performance and now ive ended up doing another one. Thing is im not confident enough, any tips on helping me boost my confidence please
build it up, bit by bit. Play for a small group of friends, then your family, then larger groups of people you know. Then play in like a pub, so its a large group of strangers. That would be my advice.

I, personally, find it much harder to play in front of people, i mess up basic things. Its not nerves, i just know i do it. Try and put your mind somewhere else or summit! Then you dont THINK there are people watching, that is until you get ur confidence!
From experience, there's no other way than to 'Just do it'... if you mess up, you mess up - it happens, dude. If you let it get to you, down goes your confidence.

Turn it into something positive... learn from your mistakes and practice what you failed at... try thinking of your mistakes as you telling yourself you're not practising hard enough and turn that into motivation to practice harder.

If you think positively, you'll attract positive experiences.
Uhm, there aren't any really, everyone's like it. Confidence only comes with experience... Just know your pieces really well and you're never gonna be a hundred percent relaxed straight up, but just go out there and try to just play all you can. Also speak to people if you're nervous, you won't be alone.
Thanks for reading
First of all, some people just aren't good in front of a crowd, but you can do some things to help you curb your sketchy feelings. First of all know that you can play guitar, you can create music. Most of the audience does neither. It's a fact that most music listeners do not play music. If you screw up, just continue on the chances are they didn't even notice it. Also, crowds want you to do well. Unless if you have a jackass out in the crowd they aren't going to say anything to you if you just keep playing. Warm up before you play, this also helps you get out the jitters. Talking on stage or interacting with the crowd also helps. You will come to a point where playing in front of a crowd really doesn't give you those same feelings. Although you don't get that huge high of being scared ****less that you are going to royally screw up you also are more confident in your playing. Hope this helps. Keep plugging on man, if you really like it and try, it will all come to you. Just make sure you can hold your own by yourself and with small groups before stepping up on stage.
another thing is perform a lot, practice makes perfect! whether it's in front of a crowd, or just 1 person, doesn't matter, just perform, and almost everytime you get nervous or whatever, but you'll start to get used to it, and soon you won't even notice it, and you'll be perfectly confident the next time you go up on stage.
Blues Power
dont freak out. just imagine they arent there. or just go out side with a couple of friends and just play away. then you get used to it then you like it then you wanna do it again then you end up famous some how.
no survival!!!
...get drunk? Worked for a lot of bands at first.

but yeah, practice, warm up, play a lot, blah blah blah...
To tell you the truth I find playing in front of small crowds more nerve-wracking.

If you're playing to a big crowd it all becomes a bit faceless, but small crowds where you can count how many people are there is what gets me.

Practicing, practicing and more practicing helps. If you know your material really well, it doesn't matter if you **** up because you should be able to just pick it back up again, if you don't know it that well you'll be like "Umm...Er...What do I do next...", and it'll fall to pieces.

Also, I have found the majority of the crowd will not notice a mistake unless you start crapping your pants or something, just shrug it off.

Believe me, every time that I have cocked up performing, almost nobody in the crowd has noticed, maybe 1 or 2 people at most? It's usually just the band that will, because they know (Or should know) the material inside out.

"To Err is Human."
Also, how many people in that crowd can play guitar? How many can play it well? I bet 99% of them don't even know how to play a single note properly on one.

How many chicks are in that crowd for you to impress?
for some odd reason, i find it easier to play in front of a crowd of strangers than a few family members...i don't know what it is

but just play for a few friends that don't play guitar, chances are they'll be in awe, this will probably raise your confidence
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Take your time before starting the songs theres really not rush, unless there is a rush .
But don't get in the mindset that i need to play a good show. Think more like i need to have fun jammin, because thats what the people have come to see. Not a bunch of nervous guys playing a song, but a group of dudes with noise makers groovin it out. And talk to the audience and make jokes (but don't make jokes with the audience music related cuz chances are the people who do get them will realise that everyone else doesnt't get them and you'll just look stupid) Example, this one guy was like "it's hard switching back and forth from a 12 string to a 6 string hyuck huck" Have fun bro
Quote by axe_grinder247
for some odd reason, i find it easier to play in front of a crowd of strangers than a few family members...i don't know what it is

but just play for a few friends that don't play guitar, chances are they'll be in awe, this will probably raise your confidence

Same here. I'm better with strangers.

But anyway, I'll tell you a little story about a musical I was in. During rehearsals and dress rehearsals, I was scared ****less, I struggled to remember my lines and couldn't focus on my movement. I just kept doing it over and over again. Just being up there and doing it helped me.

Then came opening night. I wasn't nervous at all. I saw it as just another practice, only this time, people were watching. My fellow leads weren't nervous either.

It was because we knew what to do, how to do it, just sucked it up, and we practiced a lot in front of people (during rehearsals, we had to practice in front of the rest of the cast).

Basically what I'm just saying is: Do your best, think positive, practice, and suck it up when you are out there and have fun. Do it now.

-KR
Quote by vanceboy
...get drunk? Worked for a lot of bands at first.

but yeah, practice, warm up, play a lot, blah blah blah...

this man tells the truth , i down 5 bottles before every gig , not only does it boost your confidence/ego by miles , it can help make your playing more fluid
Quote by codybcool
Stagg's are the kind of brand that you see selling on eBay from a 0 feedback Chinese man for 99p and no one buys them.
^ i hate to say this but generally too much alcohol will make you THINK you're playing more fluidly, BUT yer just drunk ...... i would recommend being relxaed, what i do is pretty simple in theory, just don't worry about, before you go out in front of people tell yerself "if i screw up, oh well, no biggie, keep goin' & they won't care" the only way to really be good consistently is to not be nervous and be as relaxed in the situation as possible, that way you'll play as well for other people as you do sitting in yer room chillin and jammin'
yeah...ummmm i dont know how to tell u this im 14, my parents lock the alcohol draw and i cant buy beer coz i look like a 5 yr old so drunk is outta the question lol, ill have to steal sum from the dodgy guy at school
Quote by andyscoot
yeah...ummmm i dont know how to tell u this im 14, my parents lock the alcohol draw and i cant buy beer coz i look like a 5 yr old so drunk is outta the question lol, ill have to steal sum from the dodgy guy at school

You don't need alcohol to be confident. Don't listen to anyone who tells you you have to be pissed to have the confidence to play infront of people.

I know where you're coming from, I used to have social anxiety disorder, I couldn't even play infront of my own family & friends. The only solution is to do it.

'Just do it'. 'Always look on the bright side of life' - They might be horrible clichés, but they're true.

There's no special technique, there's no way out of it - you have to do it. You have to have experience; good & bad. But even those 'bad' experiences are good ones, you're learning.

What does it matter if you fuck up? Think about it, you're in a crowd and you hear the guitarist make a mistake. Do you give a shit? No. He messed up, we all do it. It's part of being a guitarist.

Go up on stage and bleed your heart out through you instrument, if you make a mistake, you compromise and accept it as part of life; you don't ever think you're shit or think you don't have the confidence.

On the other hand, you go on stage drunk and expect to play the guitar fluidly and you make a mistake, you look like a complete fucking failure; believe me. I've been there, sinking 6 pints before a gig. It doesn't work. It's false. It's a false sense of security because you're scared of yourself and your instrument. Whatever you do, don't ever think a couple of beers is going to solve your confidence problem.

You suck it up. You play. You make a mistake. You move on. It's simple - not rocket science. That one time you don't make a mistake, your confidence flies up like a 747 and forgets to deploy its landing gear.

Seriously, take it from someone who has been there, done that and bought the t-shirt, there is no other solution than to just put yourself up there and fucking do it.
Yeah, do it, don't give a **** what the crowd thinks, they probably won't notice a mistake anyway.
I agree, alchol does make me feel extremely confident and i sometimes I think im realy good at guitar but thats only one of the ways to get your confidence there are lots of other ways completly depends on what works for you.

Also like already been mentioned remember there are a lot of people who know **** all about guitar and compare your self to them and youl realise that your not crap.

Adam
Last edited by Sadam at Jul 24, 2006,
if i'm about to do something in front of a lot of people, i look at the brightside by thinking "Only 4 minutes until i'm off this stage, may as well play the s**t out of my guitar while i'm here" it's a huge rush and when you're caught in the moment like that, confidence comes with it
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Lemme caution you on something:

Don't ever turn a social event into a performance unless you're requested by someone to play... it's really annoying when someone shows up at a party with a guitar and basically kills all the conversation and acts like they need to be listened to.

Also, to kill stagefright, try doing a theatrical production or something at your school where you can play or sing or do whatever in front of an audience. Nothing taught me the importance of rehearsal and practice better than that (except a gig where I didn't practice enough and it sounded ugly)

Anyway, good luck mate.
Dude I find if you just think you're the best. Just imagine that They all think your awesome. You will play just fine.
ahh... i mess up alot in front of people. alls ya gotta do is have fun. If you mess up your own song dont sweat it, no one ever notices.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310