Instead of getting monitors i want to invest in a good set of cans. can anyone suggest a set that can handle guitar frequencies? any hifi ones just break up and distort the sound at the sheer thought volume or gain. my price range is AU $50 - $200. ive tried my frend's $180 set of sennheisers and they sound like **** thru my amp and/or my GNX3000. they cut out the high frequencies, dim the gain, flatten the bass and reverb is a lost cause. im sure professional mixing headphones dont have these problems, but i imagine theyd cost more than i have hair. suggestions?
well its gunna cost alot...so be prepared....pity i didn't know or i could have looked at greens, email jeff and ask him. theres a few guys there that know about sound engineering.

oh and my strat works and is coming to school tomorrow.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
i wont. but i can show it to you. oh and i'll use it in my spare.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
not really. the actual speakers in the head phone make up most of the sound. the amp will help but really a decent set of moniters will pwn them all.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
That's like saying the speakers in your guitar amp make up most of the sound... Of course a headphone amp will make a difference. Most people mistake them for simply being a tool to make your headphones louder. Their main use is for driving high impedance headphones and/or to enhance the sound.

Headphone amps affect the dampening factor (amps ability to control unwanted speaker movement). Generally a higher value = better. From wikipedia:
For example, a 32 Ω headphone (such as the Grado line) driven by a popular DIY headphone amp with a <1 Ω output impedance (the Gilmore Dynamic) would have a damping factor of >32, whereas the same headphone driven with an iPod (5 Ω output impedance) would have a damping factor of just 6.4.

Different capacitors within the amp circuit will also have an effect on the sound. Capacitors in audio circuits block low frequencies and let high frequencies through. Increasing the capacitor value generally lets in more lower frequencies, and vice-versa if you decrease the cap values. Capacitor material also affects the sound. Cheap ceramic disc capacitors tend to have a gritty sound whereas expensive teflon audio caps are crystal clear. Caps are like tone wood for an audio circuit...

You could go ask at Head-Fi, but don't be suprised if they recommend $3,000 cans. And they'll probably recommend a headphone amp anyway. Damn rich audiophiles...

(and I'm glad you liked my headphones Doug )
yeah but shannon you must keep in mind that amp speakers are toughter built, with bigger magnets etc. when you play a CD for instance, there is always a load of some nature on the speaker. this load stays the same regardless of if there is music playing or silence playing. but as long as the cd is turning theres a load on the speaker. gutiars however dont do this. there is always a load, but it varies, which when using cheap speakers, tears them to pieces.
ponder this
if i plug my ashton into a 4x12 cab it'll sound better
why?
because the speakers can actually handle the frequencies the guitar amp pumps out, giving less break up and more actual tone.
so when you get home get a old computer speaker and wire it up to your (oh wait your amp is broken....hmm pwned) amp and tell me which speaker sound better?
the same principle applies to head phones. how much wiring realistically is there in a set of headphones? **** all, so most of the tone either comes from the amp or the speakers in the head phones. so why would dougs gnx sound worse thru your headphones than thru his amp speaker?
i know but do you?
oh and doug, the gnx only has a pre amp, so when you plug it into headphones, it'll naturally sound weaker, whereas thru your amp the sound actually gets amplified. a headphone amp sounds like a good idea, but it'd still need to be paired with decent headphones.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel