It seems hard for me to get my fingers to a correct Power Chord, and then even harder to switch between them. Any advice???
Practice practice practice practice practice...practice
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
It's all about practice. My hand didn't like the positioning at first either, and I couldn't switch chords (power or not) for the life of me. Now it's almost second nature.

Also, when I first started playing the action on my guitar was set much too high, which can make switching chords difficult.
Epiphone Les Paul
T. Haruo Acoustic
Fender MusicMan 210 (130w)
^ ^ ^ Yup, eveyone experiences the same problems, and the only solution is practice
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
Just keep practising, thats how all chords are learnt, as long as you know the correct notes to hit you should eventually get there, and go slow at first, you don't have to keep up with a high tempo song when your learning, slow the process down till you feel comfortable and you can speed up, my way of playing a power chord is to use the index finger on the root note and then my middle finger holds down both the higher pitched notes.. i.e.

-5--
-5--
-3--

would be played with index on 3 and middle holding down the 5's, although i think most guitarists seem to prefer holding the 5's with middle and fourth finger, i just find it easy my way, but what do i know, i'm officially a bassist

hope this helps but yeah the key to any chord is just practice the fingering till you get it.. and you will... it just sometimes takes a while..

edit: oh and if your having problems making all the notes sound out, i found it easy to hold the chord position and play each note individually and make adjustments till all the notes could be sounded, and then start strumming, just an afterthought good luck
Quote by MastaBassist10
Bloke is very right. Gooooo Bloke!

Last edited by bloke at Jul 24, 2006,
Quote by bloke
Just keep practising, thats how all chords are learnt, as long as you know the correct notes to hit you should eventually get there, and go slow at first, you don't have to keep up with a high tempo song when your learning, slow the process down till you feel comfortable and you can speed up, my way of playing a power chord is to use the index finger on the root note and then my middle finger holds down both the higher pitched notes.. i.e.

-5--
-5--
-3--

would be played with index on 3 and middle holding down the 5's, although i think most guitarists seem to prefer holding the 5's with middle and fourth finger, i just find it easy my way, but what do i know, i'm officially a bassist

hope this helps but yeah the key to any chord is just practice the fingering till you get it.. and you will... it just sometimes takes a while..

edit: oh and if your having problems making all the notes sound out, i found it easy to hold the chord position and play each note individually and make adjustments till all the notes could be sounded, and then start strumming, just an afterthought good luck

i do the same, i started off by using the first finger for the root note and the third and forth for the higher notes of the triad but i kinda got irritated by teh fact that couldn't mute any strings above or below the powerchord so i couldn't just strum the entire guitar. the new method helps me mute the string above and the strings below the powerchord. it's handy! and it's a lot quicker and smother.
^ actually you can mute the other strings when you use the third and fourth fingers for power chords. If you just flatten your hand slightly it usually does it by itself.
Usually the high is muted just from the base of my fingers touching it, and the other two from the flats of my fingers.
Yeah i think you can do it both ways if you try, its down to preference mainly, like most things i guess.. do what feels comfortable, always works for me..
Quote by MastaBassist10
Bloke is very right. Gooooo Bloke!

I think it is good to learn both ways because it sorta depends on the situation, sometimes it's easier one way and sometimes the other. For example if you have to switch to a barre chord right after its nice to do it with the two finger method. But if you have to start playing some single notes quickly right after it's easier if you us the 3 finger method.
these guys know what they are talking about... practice. We all had the same problem starting out.
yeah, just practice - my hand kept going into like a cramp after a few seconds - after a week or two (perhaps more? - twas a while ago) it got better...
yeah to add the more you practice the more flexable your fingers are allowing you to switch chords faster. and if that doesnt work after like a month theres always dropped D tuning
Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art.

Tom Stoppard
Quote by bloke

-5--
-5--
-3--

Really? I'd use my fourth for the first 5, and my pinky for the second. I have got the tiniest little fingers though.
Ever wonder what rock would have sounded like in 2010 if grunge hadn't made it cool to be stupid?

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!
Practice.. Practice.. Practice! Just keep on practicing and your hands get used to the shape. I had the same problem, now I can move power chords around swiftly with no problems. I tend to use the three finger method, but the two finger method, like someone stated a couple of posts above, is easier if you switch from a barre chord.