Poll: What strings do you use?
Poll Options
View poll results: What strings do you use?
8 through 40
1 2%
9 through 42
12 21%
9 through 46
5 9%
10 through 46
12 21%
10 through 50
3 5%
10 through 52
9 16%
11 through 50
4 7%
11 through 52
4 7%
12 through 52 with a plain G
2 4%
Other
5 9%
Voters: 57.
Please describe what size strings you use and why.

I use DR Tite-Fits on my Gretschs and my Telecaster and on my Guild solidbody S-70, I use DR High Beams because it was already a darker sounding guitar, and now it has a Seymour Duncan Trembucker (the Duncan is going away soon, does anyone want to buy it?) so I got the High Beams because they are brighter.

The string guage I use is:

11 - E
14 - B
18 - G (plain)
28 - D
38 - A
50 - E

If DR made a set that went from 11-52, I would rather use those.

I started using the heavier strings back in the mid eighties when I learned that Hendrix used 10s. He said in an interview 'If you want to get a big sound, you have to use big strings'. So I one upped him and went to 11s.

In the early 1990s, when I learned that SRV used 12s and sometimes 13s, I went to 12s, but I couldn't find a set I liked with a plain steel 20 for the G, and I refused to use a wrapped G, and besides that, my hands started hurting all the time. I use my hands and fingers a lot in my day job, so sometimes they are already tired or hurting at night even before I start playing, and those damned 12s were killing me. So I went back to the 11s.

The other reason I stuck with the 11s is because I have two Gretschs, one has Filtertrons and the other will have filtertrons and as you may know, filtertrons are very low output pickups, with not a lot of magnetism. My larger strings compensate for the lower output of the Filtertrons.
Last edited by McDuffie at Jul 24, 2006,
no string guage is represented in the poll.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
I have Nickel Rockers 11's, which are really like 12's.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Well i use 11-48/49 because i don't like the big fat bass strings, they stand out too much and muddify my tone.

I had to switch to 11's after my 3rd set of 10's snapped on the e-string right in the middle during tuning.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Ernie Ball Power Slinky 11-48
Quote by Rox0r713
I nominate giveitaname87 for UG's "Most likely to be a Serial Killer" award.
would it affect my guitarneck and stuff if i change from 10's to 11's?
Gear:

Ibanez V50 acoustic ( my first love)
Ibanez 442 RTR ( my second love)
Laney Linebacker Reverb 30Watt
I think I have 45-130 on my five-string and when my brother's nut gets fixed(yes, hilarious ) we're gonna put d'addario 13's on his LP.
I use D'Addario 9's. I don't really notice a difference in tone when it comes to strings though so it isn't a big deal with me. I've never gotten any heavier strings though. I've always had 9's and see no reason to change that.
My Gear:

Guitars
Squier Affinity Stratocaster w/ SD Hot Rails (Bridge)
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Amps
Peavey Studio Pro 112
VOX AD50VT Valvetronix
Ross Fame Series Bass 50

Effects
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay
I am trying out these Daddario XL electric guitar strings, Nickel wound, medium top/heavy bottom....011, .014, .018, .030, .042, .052

I like the sound of the but they are a little too stiff for me and i will be trying some slinkey strings next.;....my cousin told me to try them because you can bend easily with them.

ill also go a little lighter on the gauge next time although i play rock so i dont want to go too light....i hate snapping strings....only thing i have snapped so far was my pick because im so damn good at playing

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/moody07747/Musical%20Instruments/Electric%20guitar/?action=view&current=picksnapped.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch6
i use power slinkys 11-48, good balance of thickness and not having super heavy bass strings.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
10-52's, GHS Mustaine signatures.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
I use Ernie Ball 10's thats all I need to know....
Made in Detroit
Guitars, Guns, Cars, Beer, and Women... This is what makes real men happy.