Please help me, I'm goin to buy this beauty tomorrow. I need to know, are MIM strats decent in quality, life, and sound? Because I've heard alot of talk going eitherway. I was wondering if it wouldn''t be smarter to get the MIA Highway 1 instead. Price is a factor, but quality is the most important thing. Will a MIM strat hold up, can you gig with it, any drawbacks? Thanks for your time.
From what I've gathered from people around here, Highway 1 strats aren't actually that much better than MIMS, and the quality's a long way off a proper MIA Fender. If this is true (as I'm not 100% sure), I'd go for the MIM.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
From what I've gathered from people around here, Highway 1 strats aren't actually that much better than MIMS, and the quality's a long way off a proper MIA Fender. If this is true (as I'm not 100% sure), I'd go for the MIM.

Im not a big fneder fan but i have heard the same thing so unless you ant to save for a MIA strat i say just get the MIM
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I tried out a few MIM's and a few Highway 1's and came away with a Highway 1 telecaster. Admittedly i got it used for the price of a new MIM standard, but i found it to be quite a bit better build quality and the the quality of the parts was definitely better.

The main grievance that people seem to have with the H1's is that the finish is solid and there's only a thin matt finish (or some type) so it comes off easily and relics quickly, which i like a lot. Obviously the quality isn't going to match a proper MIA but it's noticeably better than the MIM's. It's the middle ground between the two lines if you like.

I think you should try both models out, head to head, and see which you prefer. Don't base your purchase on what people here say.
I heard from owners of MIM strats that you can get good ones that arent that different then a MIA strat and others that are firewood. Owners of mexican strats usually just say the QC is either good or bad it's all about luck, but I don't know personaly only going off what they say. Don't know anything about Highways, but I got MIA strat and it's beautiful. If your deadset on a strat go the american one.
I'm not interested in how the guitars look and sound in the shop, I wanna know how they'll be months, and years down the road. I'm mostly conscerned that MIM guitars will fall apart down the road. About the highway 1s finish, I think it'd be cool to have the finish wear down, so long as all the hardware still functioned and the sound and quality didn't deteriorate. Will the MIM's stand the test of time?
If taken care of, it would last, but like the other guy said, MIM's are largely hit and miss.
Play it and compare it to others. It's pretty easy to tell if you're playing a good guitar or a bad one. One thing some people often forget to do is check the intonation and see if the neck is straight so remember to do that.
Quote by codybcool
Play it and compare it to others. It's pretty easy to tell if you're playing a good guitar or a bad one. One thing some people often forget to do is check the intonation and see if the neck is straight so remember to do that.

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm new to electrics. How do you check the intonation? And do you check to see if the neck is torqued? bowed? Are there any other checks I can do? Thanks for your help.
Forgiven

There are some articles on the main page and the articles/lessons sections that tell you how to do all those things and go into far more depth than i could.
Go for a MIM classic or a Japanese Strat, but try a looooooad of Strats out before you buy.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30