Hi ya'll- Hope I'm in the right forum, if not excuse me for being a no0b! (please direct me to the right forum)

My singer and I are looking for the best mic for the money. We are poor broke bastards who can't afford much... but right now we are using a $25.00 Peavey PVi100 and it SUCKS!!!

I'm sure some of you experimented with lots of vocal mics who could direct us to the best bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance!
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
I'm sorry mods... Now I see this thread belongs in "Music Talk". Please forgive a no0b. Thx
"
-Maynard

| |
The Shure SM58 is a good vocal mic but I don't know if it's out of your price range or not. I got mine for about $100 CAD.
My Gear:

Guitars
Squier Affinity Stratocaster w/ SD Hot Rails (Bridge)
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Amps
Peavey Studio Pro 112
VOX AD50VT Valvetronix
Ross Fame Series Bass 50

Effects
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay
yeah, the SM58 is about right for price range. I was thinking about $89 ish.

We were turned on by the EV N/D967 but that is out of price.
"
-Maynard

| |
Quote by Pieter-Jan
go for the SM57, it's very all round, and it rocks!

Hey thanks dude! Checked on the SM57 and it not available... is the SM58 the same?

I have sound bites with the PVi100- Check my Dmusic Sig and listen to "Sponge Bob Square Pants".

I'm gonna see if the singer can throw in 1/2 so we can get the Sure SM58!

Rock on!
"
-Maynard

| |
id get an SM57 over the SM58 just because the 57 is a better all around mic, you can use it for anything. They are basically the same thing, but the 58 would limit you a little more if you wanted to use it to mic your amp or another instrument down the road. Once you have a bunch of 57s then get a 58 if you know you are only ever going to need it for vocals. I have 4 57s and a 58 and i wish i had 5 57s...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102
Quote by evansut7
id get an SM57 over the SM58 just because the 57 is a better all around mic, you can use it for anything. They are basically the same thing, but the 58 would limit you a little more if you wanted to use it to mic your amp or another instrument down the road. Once you have a bunch of 57s then get a 58 if you know you are only ever going to need it for vocals. I have 4 57s and a 58 and i wish i had 5 57s...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102

SWEET! I read reviews and they are very VERY good reviews! But all of the reviews are for mic'in Cabs or drums... I just need it for vocals.

Does it beat the SM58 for vocals only?

"The only complaint is no pop filter" was the only lop sided statement.
"
-Maynard

| |
sm58 is usually better for vocals whereas 57 is good for micing instruments.
Alright, thanks everyone for your help! We're going for the SM58- As it will be used for Vox. Later on I may get some 57's... but for now we just need a vox mic.

PEACE!
"
-Maynard

| |
Quote by Sir Edwin CBE
Shure SM-57/58. Either one is fantastic value and possibly best mike you can get.

QFT.
My rig:
1999 Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Gibson electronics and Sperzel locking tuners
Ibanez RG470 w/ Floyd Rose (soon to be for sale)
Boss NS-1 Noise Surpressor
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Marshall MG100 1x12" combo
Quote by WOOTjosephine
QFT.

What is QFT?
"
-Maynard

| |
id stick with the 57 for the reasons i said above. Both are good for vocals but you can only use the 58 for vocals. the 57 is good for anything. my band sings through 57s.
How important is the pop filter? I won't be using it to mic amps or drums.

The SM58 specs are 50Hz- 15kHz

The SM57 is 40Hz - 15kHz

And that is chinese language to me....lol
"
-Maynard

| |
It's official... I just bought a brand new Shure SM57 off ebay for $49.00 shipped to the house!!!
"
-Maynard

| |
pop filter is very important for vocals. It will help eliminate the pops in the Ps and Ss when you sing or talk in the mic.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
I received my SM57 and it sounds good. We probably should have went with SM58 since it has a pop filter. All it will be used for is vocals.

Is the plastic top thing suppose to turn freely and wobble? I tried screwing it down, but isn't threaded.

can I upgrade a screw on pop filter?
"
-Maynard

| |
Shure SM58, definately. As for the SM57, they are the exact same microphone except for the grill. The 57's shape is more suited to being an instrument mic.
Quote by rockxwl
Shure SM58, definately. As for the SM57, they are the exact same microphone except for the grill. The 57's shape is more suited to being an instrument mic.

Not the same. Different specs and SM57 has more lows and SM58 has more presence.

How can I upgrade to a pop filter on the SM57?
"
-Maynard

| |
check out the sennheiser's, i have the 815s for $50 and it sounds amazing and was recomended by guitar center's staff over the shures
Quote by Hey Websta !!!
check out the sennheiser's, i have the 815s for $50 and it sounds amazing and was recomended by guitar center's staff over the shures

Thanks, but we already bought the SM57. Got a killer deal for a brand new one shipped to the door for $49 USD

It needs a pop filter BAD!!!!
"
-Maynard

| |
well for live stuff u can use one of those foam filters but they can like mess w/ your voice a little bit (make it sound a tiny bit muted) but they work well for reducing the pops. If you're using them for recording in a home studio then buy a pop filter (like a NADY metal pop filter) that just hooks to your stand and that will work a lot better w/o robbing your voice of any nuances.
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
Quote by MrSandMan
Not the same. Different specs and SM57 has more lows and SM58 has more presence.

Nope, they're the same. That just comes as a consequence of the different pop filter.

It's not that the 57 doesn't have a pop filter, it's that it has a different one.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
eh the 58 is so overrated...

now we have a couple of the beta 87a's that we like, some 57's...

the beta 58's are a bit better then the reg 58
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit