Ok, so I'm familiar with some diminished chords & really familiar with the dim7 sound.

However, I'm not savvy of what makes them up, and consequently, the difference between their sounds and shapes etc...

I would like some help on the theoretical approaches to understanding these chords and voicings, preferably from someone with formal training in theory & whatnot.

Thanks in advance
dim is just a triad with 1-b3-b5
dim7 is a 7th chord, of course, with 1-b3-b5-b7
min7b5, which is half dim, is a 7th chord built 1-b3-b5-7
Quote by spoonfulofshred
^not quite

dim7 is 1-b3-b5-bb7
min7b5 is 1-b3-b5-b7

cool, but a quick question:

is the "bb7" degree the same as the "6" degree?
^not quite

dim7 is 1-b3-b5-bb7
min7b5 is 1-b3-b5-b7

Not quite, the 7th isnt a double flat (which is what i assume you mean). A dim7 chord is simply the 1-b3-b5-b7.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Ace88
Not quite, the 7th isnt a double flat (which is what i assume you mean). A dim7 chord is simply the 1-b3-b5-b7.

Uh, no.

Diminished 7th interval = major 6th.

That's 1 - b3 - b5 - bb7.

In C... C - Eb - Gb - Bbb.
Ok, so the "double-flatted" B is actually an A, but written as a "Bbb" because of the interval in the music (which doesn't correspond to the natural minor key)...

Just the same, it does help, and knowing the sound of dim7 as I do; it must be a "bb" degree because that's the sound of dim7...

Thanx a lot guys.