6 60%
Head is going to suck dont buy it at all
4 40%
Head is going to suck, buy cab alone.
0 0%
Cab is going to suck, buy head.
0 0%
Voters: 10.
Hey this guy is selling his peavy gear to me and i want your advice. It is from the 80s or 70s or so. The head is a peavy mark 4 and the cab is peavey 410 but i dont know the name. The head is 210 watts at 4 ohms and 300 at 2.and the cab is 4 ohms.

THe only problem is that he says the graphic equalizer on the head does not work. All the knobs like bass/mids/ ect work but that doesnt. I was going to definantly buy it but now i heard the unfourtante news.

He said if i buy the cab and head its 250 USD. Cab alone - 100, head alone - 200.

What should i do?

I would look somewhere else. The gear is old to begin with, and so there is a slight reliablitly issue already. The EQ is a major part of your tone, and unless you have a good EQ on your bass or an EQ pedal of some sort, i would pass the offer up. Besides, Peavey amp gear shows up all the time.

You could get it, and then purchase a Boss bass EQ pedal for $70 USD.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by nunu
Hey this guy is selling his peavy gear to me and i want your advice. It is from the 80s or 70s or so. The head is a peavy mark 4 and the cab is peavey 410 but i dont know the name. The head is 210 watts at 4 ohms and 300 at 2.and the cab is 4 ohms.
THe only problem is that he says the graphic equalizer on the head does not work. All the knobs like bass/mids/ ect work but that doesnt. I was going to definantly buy it but now i heard the unfourtante news.
He said if i buy the cab and head its 250 USD. Cab alone - 100, head alone - 200.
What should i do?
It's a pity about the graphic because the Mk IV was one of the best amps around and it is still a good amp today; offer him $200 for the lot, in all honesty the repair will more than likely be something simple.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
It's a pity about the graphic because the Mk IV was one of the best amps around and it is still a good amp today; offer him $200 for the lot, in all honesty the repair will more than likely be something simple.

^right on, my friend! the Mark IV is a great amp. i owned one, played through a Peavey 1810(1x18", 2x10") cab. thunder in a box.

Yes!
Hey guysupdate time

Me and my friend haggled the guy down to 150 for the cab and head. So now i have this huge halfstack sitting next to me. There were some problems with the head though and thats why we were able to lower the pice. For one, the equilizer works. 0nly the "50" switch must be left all the way up and if that moves it makes a horrible screeching noise.

The next problem is that there is kind of a hiss. I dont know what the problem can be. When it is put into either Channel A/B theres a kind of hiss you hear. I dont think it will be heard when playing with the band though. Any suggestions of why it does that?

It sounds fine, mighty fine when plugged into the power amp input though wih no problems. However i have a passive bass.

Thanx for reading guys.

sounds like it just needs some re-soddering done. i bet you could bring it to a repair shop and get it all done for about 65.
Well, for $150 thats a great buy. Embryodead has a good idea though. Bring it to a shop and see what they can do. I'm sure they can fix whatever it is or at least fix some part of it for $100.

I would just need to take the head right? THe problems are not with the speaker? the hissing problem? Because on pwr amp, the hissing is not there.

I would assume so... if you can plug your bass in without the head and there isn't hissing, its not the speaker cab. Although, if asked, you might as well just bring both... Call ahead and ask them what they want.

Hey guys thanx for all the replies. I have an update.

The head definantly sucks right now and needs repair. The hissing sound was too unbearable when i played it today, didnt seem as loud before. True i can play with it now by plugging into the pwr amp option. However, there is no eq or voume option if i chose that path. All the controls go to my crappy passive bass.

However, if there was no hissing, this amp would sound fcking awesome guys. I can see lots of options for tonal variety already. I hope the guys at sam ash can fix it and do it for cheap.

If you can, I would try somewhere other than Samash. If you live in NY city, Manny's Music across the street would be a better option. I have had bad experience with SamAsh.

Yea that neighborhood has alot of music stores. Ill check it out

by the way r u from NYC?

No, but I live an hour out of the city... so i've been there a lot. There is actually a bass guitar store in New York City... hold on, ill find the adress.

http://www.thecityofnewyorkcity.com/instrument/index.html

Bass Shop-Merchant Vertical
(212) 465-2040 208 W 29th St
New York, NY

You might want to call... i'm not 100% sure thats right... i havn't been there in years.