Ok, well here's my situation.

I've got a Fender Frontman 15G, Fender Squier (strat pack people, yeah I know it sucks, but I won't be upgrading my guitar until around December). I've got a Boss SD-1 Overdrive pedal.

I'm happy with my SD-1, but I'm looking for a multi-effects pedal. I want effects like wah, reverb, ect ect... but I don't want to spend 500+ on getting 10 different pedals.

Ok, so I play a lot of SOAD but also a big mix of music, so I was just wondering if I should just go get a multi-effects or just buy single pedals one by one. I know you lose some quality with multi-effects, but is it that noticable/severe?

To sum it up:
Multi-effect or Single and why?
and
Which multi-effect?
sigless
singles. the sound much better and you can adjust them to meet any preference.
oh and if you want a wah, DO NOT get a multieffect
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
i own a digitech RP50

they're cheap have loads of effects and you can make an extra 40 of your own
connect a volume pedal and you'll get wah, whammy sounds ect.

or buy the RP80 wich has the pedal on it.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
multi is very useful for beginners, but they all sound digital. that probably wont be an issue for you though because i found it hard to tell the difference when i first started but after a while it gets noticeable. if i were you i'd just save and buy the individual effects, i only have an overdrive unit right now anyways and i manage just fine.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
a friend of mine has that amp
Anyway I doubt you can hear the difference on such amps. Only on amp with send/return or through headphones you hear that the multiFX are digital.
I used to have a zoom 505 many moonss ago which was ok to start with but when you hear individual pedals theres no comparison. I would atleast go for a cry baby wah if your in the uk check out gak.co.uk they're selling them for £60.

I'm still pretty new to guitar so I got my self a boat load of behringers the 100 range is pretty cheap and you get an aproximation of what the sound should be like. As I play more and start to find my sound I intended to upgrade my pedals to better ones.
singles over and over

they are such a better investment

the effects on multi effect processors are such ****
I think you should pick up a cheap MFX first, to figure out which sounds you want. Why buy a 100 dollar phaser if you're not going to use it?

Throw 50 bucks out for a digitech RP50 or 80, maybe the 100. Don't go brand new, get a used one. Once you figure out what sounds you like, then make the big investments.

Also: I'd recommend upgrading that amp rather than buying effects for it.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

I would save up some money, and get a new amp, either a Roland or a Vox, the multi-effects ones, and get a seperate wah pedal.

My Vox has delay, reverb, flang, phaser, auto-wah, tremolo, rotary, ect. Get a wah pedal, since the auto-wah isnt that great, and you have a new amp, and a bunch of effects for wellunder $400.
Thanks for so many fast replies, lol.

Well, its either my guitar or my amp that's getting upgraded in December, as of now I have no idea which... so if you guys wanna help me out with that too, it would be appreciated :p
Current equipment is in my first post.

I've already done some shopping around for my wah awhile ago, I had decided on the Dunlop 535Q. Is that a decent wah in your guys' opinion? Its a bit expensive, but it seems like a good investment.

Are multis that bad for only wah, or for other effects too? (Reverb, Phaser, Memory, ect)
sigless
^Well, the AD50VT is the best in the line of Valvetronix amps, it beats the 30 hands down. The speaker is much better.

So I'd suggest that instead.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Get an AD30VT or an AD50VT. It has all the effects you need. Spend around $100, and get a good wah.

Then get a new guitar for Christmas.

Trust me, a new Vox, with a bunch of decent effects and a great wah, is better than a Frontman 15G with a couple of good effects.

Trust me, I own both a vox and a Frontman, and I never regret it.

Get a Vox and a Wah Pedal, and a new axe for Christmas.
Quote by sg-rocker173
I think you should pick up a cheap MFX first, to figure out which sounds you want. Why buy a 100 dollar phaser if you're not going to use it?

Throw 50 bucks out for a digitech RP50 or 80, maybe the 100. Don't go brand new, get a used one. Once you figure out what sounds you like, then make the big investments.

Also: I'd recommend upgrading that amp rather than buying effects for it.

That's a very good point ! I have a cheap (less than $100) Behringer V-Amp 2 that has about ten effects, plus reverb and various amp models. Although It's not the greatest, I have taken the time with it to determine which effects I do and don't like.

Plus I use it now as a headphone amp to bring on vacation or to play during the night (so I don't wake anyone up).
See, the only thing is that amps or guitars cost 400+...(Canadian). I've looked at the AD50VT and I really like the handsfree switching... looks like a great amp.

How would you guys rate the Dunlop 535Q?
sigless
Last edited by sysD at Jul 24, 2006,
Multieffects units are a good option, although if you know an exact sound you are looking for buying a couple singles is better. I use a Toneworks AG100X multieffects pedal and it works pretty good. Lots of preset effects (although some are pretty much useless), but can write up to 40 of my own. I actually find a good sound for a particular style and save each as a new program. That way you have a lot of versatility with something like that. I paid only $200 new!