Heres the deal. I am debating between two guitars. Do I get the Eric Clapton Artist Strat for 1300 or do i get just an American Strat and then add the same pickups Dave Murray from Iron Maiden uses. They are SHR1-n, SHR1-b, SH-11 pickups by Seymour Duncan, and adding these to the american also comes out at around 1300. I really cant decide between the two options. I like most rock and metal, and some blues. I really love the tone of both of the two guitarists... i guess ill try and make some pros and cons.

Eric Clapton Strat
1. Eric Clapton tone is great, maybe a little weak on the rhythm end though.
2. Might not be versatile enough to carry a metal sounding tone as good as the other.
3. Playable out of the box most likely, minus a few minor adjustments.

American Strat
1. LOVE the Dave Murray tone, i think it should be able enough to get a nice classic rock sound, but not positive.
2. Not exactly playable out of the box, extra time and possibly money on putting the pickups in...

please help me, im torn between these two guitars.
Please dont just randomly pick a guitar, please explain why...
I'd say the American strat. I dunno just preference. And the Seymour Duncans sound like a cool idea.
You don't need to get the Clapton strat to have Clapton's tone. Just add Vintage Noiseless pickups to the American Strat. Plus, you'd be getting a wide range of colors as well.
Sent from my iPad.
Last edited by paintITblack39 at Jul 24, 2006,
Quote by Teleprompters
american strat definitely, but if you are playing metal you may not want a strat

He mentioned Iron Maiden though and that's what they play.
Doesn't Iron Maiden play fat strats? That would be sweet, American fat strat w/Seymour Duncans.
Quote by paintITblack39
You don't need to get the Clapton strat to have Clapton's tone. Just add Vintage Noiseless pickups to the American Strat. Plus, you'd be getting a wide range of colors as well.

yes but id rather not have to switch pickups unless i HAVE to for the clapton sound.
if they had and iron maiden signature strat then i wouldnt be taking an american and switching the pups, but they dont.
Quote by GuitarManiac09
yes but id rather not have to switch pickups unless i HAVE to for the clapton sound.
if they had and iron maiden signature strat then i wouldnt be taking an american and switching the pups, but they dont.

Here's the problem though, if you buy the Clapton strat, you're buying the name as well. The Clapton Strat (in sound terms) is basically an American Strat with vintage noiseless pickups. You'd save some money if you get the American.
Sent from my iPad.
get the american and put the Maiden Hot Rails by SD in th bridge and a vintage single-coil in the neck so u get exactly what u want and it would probably be cheaper anyway
The 60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great.
Quote by The Unforgaven
get the american and put the Maiden Hot Rails by SD in th bridge and a vintage single-coil in the neck so u get exactly what u want and it would probably be cheaper anyway

that is a wonderful idea. Thanks to everyone for the help.