I have a Yamaha FG700 for about 2 months now and I have the strings that came with it. Prolly Yamaha strings. Anyway, What strings should I get...I hear that D'Addario are good...what gauge strings do I get though, and will changing my strings make the guitar sound better?
If your guitar is just an acoustic not a classical I suggest getting a set of Martian SP's. I play a Gibson J-55 and use medium gauge strings on it, but I would recommend trying the lights first. But whatever you do, do not put heavy's on your guitar.

Some strings can give your guitar a richer or brighter sound, depending on the gauge and the make of the strings themselves, so it's best to play around a bit until you find what suits your style of playing best.

And yes, changing your strings will make the guitar sound better since with time dirt works its way into the coil of the strings, thus the reason you have to change them. But if you don't want to change them right away then take them off and boil them in water for awhile and that will help get some of the dirt and finger oils out of them so they'll sound a little better.

Have fun.
My dog barks at imaginary mice.

:stickpoke:
definately ernie ball slinky's, thats what i use and it works for me, esp. if you like going van halen crazy until your callices rub off and your fingertip's bleed....but hey, that's just me....
Thanks. Do you know what strings normally come on acoutics? Medium, light, extra light, etc? and is it better to get coated strings?
I think the avarage acoustic comes with lights. as for the coating, it depends on how long, how often, and how hard you play
Quote by Smitty89
I think the avarage acoustic comes with lights. as for the coating, it depends on how long, how often, and how hard you play

How hard I play...no clue lol, I usually play everyday but just messing around..no gigs or anything.
Quote by les-is-more
i like elixir strings for my acoustic

2nd (nanowebs)
Quote by metalmiliita56
not to sound stupid but do combos sound as good as tubes?

Quote by Tom Martin

Still, use a condom - STD's arn't like pokémon - you don't get a certificate for catching them all.

Quote by Refixer
All Spiders suck. Accept it. Even the ones with legs.
Quote by Kollarism
Thanks. Do you know what strings normally come on acoutics? Medium, light, extra light, etc? and is it better to get coated strings?

Most every acoustic guitar is fitted with lights so as not to damage the bridge or mess up the next.
My dog barks at imaginary mice.

:stickpoke:
D'addario's, i use 12's. Really like them.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!