im in the process of recording Stairway To Heaven, just for the fun of it, and ive gotten to the solo and i can play all of it cleanly except this little bit here, where it repeats like 10 or 12 times:

|-----------------------------------------------------------
|-13-15b17b15p13----13-15b17b15p13----13---
|-----------------------14-----------------------14-------

any tips on how to pick this, and also how to make the pulloff stand out more?

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
lol i'm at the same part you are. i guess we just need to practice it more.
Quote by skybl4ck
lol i'm at the same part you are. i guess we just need to practice it more.

hah yeah.. i can do this part ok, but the big problem is that the pulloff doesnt really stand out.. have u tried it yet?

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
well first off thats a little wrong tab.

---13 15^full 13

i think that repeats 6 or 8 times...can't remember. its not 10 -12 though. it looks so easy buts its hard to get down cleanly. the tab you had probably has you spending to much time on the bend and release. its super fast and you don't resound 15 like your tab says. you release the bend staight to 13.

the main problem with tabbing this is it doesn't show you how to pluck the strings. and thats the main thing to get down when playing this part. doing what the tab says is easy. holding the bends right and plucking each string on cue is whats hard.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Practice practice practice! Keep trying different picking combinations until you get it.

What I use for that particular riff is alternate picking up until the note before the bend, where I pick down twice (on the note before the bend and on the "bent" note).
My rig:
1999 Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Gibson electronics and Sperzel locking tuners
Ibanez RG470 w/ Floyd Rose (soon to be for sale)
Boss NS-1 Noise Surpressor
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Marshall MG100 1x12" combo
Quote by bonchie1
well first off thats a little wrong tab.

---13 15^full 13

i think that repeats 6 or 8 times...can't remember. its not 10 -12 though. it looks so easy buts its hard to get down cleanly. the tab you had probably has you spending to much time on the bend and release. its super fast and you don't resound 15 like your tab says. you release the bend staight to 13.

umm no that tabs not wrong.. im pretty sure u bend, then release, then pull off.. listen to the solo closely

and its 10 times, i just counted

and while im doing this, anyone know of a good website for uploading recordings?

Quote by richwatkinson
My rig:
1999 Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Gibson electronics and Sperzel locking tuners
Ibanez RG470 w/ Floyd Rose (soon to be for sale)
Boss NS-1 Noise Surpressor
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Marshall MG100 1x12" combo
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
umm no that tabs not wrong.. im pretty sure u bend, then release, then pull off.. listen to the solo closely

and while im doing this, anyone know of a good website for uploading recordings?

that tab came off the guiter pro tab. sounds right to me in the program. i didn't mean your tab was wrong for saying to release and pulloff. i meant that tab may of been confusing you into spending to much time on the bend and pulloff. the way it shows 15 again after the bend kinda appears that your supposed to make the 15 sound agian before 13. you don't. its a straight fluid bend release and pull off to 13. it happens all in one pick is what i was trying to say.

i pretty much keep 14 fretted the entire time. then i pluck 13, bend 15 release and then pluck 14. all happens in 2 picks.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Last edited by bonchie1 at Jul 24, 2006,
Quote by bonchie1
that tab came off the guiter pro tab. sounds right to me in the program. i didn't mean your tab was wrong for saying to release and pulloff. i meant that tab may of been confusing you into spending to much time on the bend and pulloff. the way it shows 15 again after the bend kinda appears that your supposed to make the 15 sound agian before 13. you don't. its a straight fluid bend release and pull off to 13. it happens all in one pick is what i was trying to say.

oo yeah i know what u mean, i got that part, and i can bend and release fast enough, im just having trouble making the pulloff stand out. any tips for this?

Quote by richwatkinson
hmm i can even barely hear the pull off in the recording. damn lol i suck
Quote by skybl4ck
hmm i can even barely hear the pull off in the recording. damn lol i suck

its pretty sudtle and quick.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Its probably just practice i cant do the bends and stuff nearly as clean as it is in the song...
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
Quote by ScreaminBlues25

Yeah you're right that second tab was wrong. I'm on that part now. The barred pull offs right at the beginning of the solo still aren't down perfectly yet though grrrrr
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
^^ hey you dont have to bar the pulloffs (i assume youre barring the 5th fret?). theyre slow enough that you can just move your first finger into place.

Quote by bonchie1

i pretty much keep 14 fretted the entire time. then i pluck 13, bend 15 release and then pluck 14. all happens in 2 picks.

no, there should be 3 picks. one for the 13, one for the 15, and then after the bend and pulloff, one for the 14. sounds like youre hammering on the 15, which sound wrong (to me, the attack on the 15 is pretty sharp and accented, not a hammeron).
Remember, Jimmy Page had a really strong left hand. There are a bunch of hammer on/pull off exercises out there. Find some of those and go nuts.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
wow thats wierd, i cant get the first bit of it cleanly, it just sounds too "bitty" and not smooth, i can play that bit perfectly well however.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by W4T3V3R
wow thats wierd, i cant get the first bit of it cleanly, it just sounds too "bitty" and not smooth, i can play that bit perfectly well however.

are you pulling off in the pentatonic pattern part or do you alt pick? that might be it, it sounds smoother pulling off.
im pulling off in the pentatonic pattern yes, i think i just need to practice it more, i rarely try it for more than 5 mins...
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
really? i only pull off in one place before you get to the fast, repetative section..

Quote by richwatkinson