Page 1 of 2
depends on how hard it is. I've been working on Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson for 3 weeks.
bout two days (just learned santeria) took me a month to learn under the bridge (i kept forgeting the outro) but for stuff like hotel california it takes a while because it is a long musical piece (maybe a week if i try)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
well it depends on how difficult/long the piece is but usually between 2 days and a week...
wake the sun so the stars cant shine....
Easier songs are about a day or two, harder ones a week and I don't concentrate on only one song at a time.

Though I've been practicing Asturias for two weeks now.
umm maybe a day.. i learned Classic Gas by Eric Clapton in like a couple of hours of time
Yeah, if the song is easy, I can play along with the song the first time seeing the tab. But thats only if its really easy **** like crap blink 182 and greenday stuff. which i don't play.
It take me... depending on the song... about 10 minutes. Yes I'm a freak I know.
My dog barks at imaginary mice.

:stickpoke:
If some Guitar master with about 10 and more experience of playing guitar, how long would it take him to learn a song?

Would he be able to just read the Tab and play as he reads ?
Quote by FalloutK
If some Guitar master with about 10 and more experience of playing guitar, how long would it take him to learn a song?

as long as it takes to learn a Fall Out Boy song blindfolded...not very long
Quote by FalloutK

I?m pretty sure I?m not a level ten or what ever that means but I just learned three full songs today one from Abbey Road (and I don?t remember witch one), ZZtop Legs and Tuesdays gone.

maybe I'm just weird
in the midst of tears an sorrows when the anger slips aside are the fears of tomorrow where the loneliness resides
depends on the song and technicallity. For instance:

Clapton- 1/2 a week for the whole song

RHCP- 1/2 a day to 2 days
depends on the song...usually an hour or two...if it takes longer...take a break and come back to it later or you'll just get frustrated...
it takes a while because i learn the first half of like 4 songs one week and dont finish the rest til later. i need to start doing one at a time lol
Depends by what you mean when you say learn a song. I can play it through once ofter hearing it once and have it nailed. Otherwise, nail it while sight reading the tabs for the first time. WOuld usually nail a solo, intro or outro about 90% acurate first play, and just take note of where the errors were and fix it next time. But then again, I have been plying for over 20 years! So, I suppose experience does make a big difference. You learn to spot patens and themes and very few guys deviate, and even when they do, it's usually been done before.

Cheers
as everyone else already said, it obviously depends on the song... but i'd say anywhere between 15 minutes and a month or two.
Depends on technicality of the piece
--------------------------------------------------------
Most songs will take like 5-15 minutes. I can look at the tab and play the song just as its played on the recording but i wont have it memorized after that. A song like Steve vai's liberty i could play with the tab my first time seeing it. I memorized it in like 20 minutes maybe.
I've been playing for 2.5 years but my first 1.5 years were like 6 or more hours per day.

Lyrics is a different story.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by metaldud536
Do any of you take lessons ?

took it for the first year.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

ive its like a bob dylan song or something i can learn it in like 5 minutes unless it uses chords that i dont know that well. harder stuff can take anywhere from an hour to a few days depending on how complex and long it is.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by FalloutK

No,

Although he could read sheet music and play.
#2 fanboy of Conor Oberst pm frd_mrshall to join
Quote by El Cumanés
A classical piece can take me about 3 months or more to master it.

Best and probably the most honest answer I've read thus far. To master a song and memorize it takes considerably longer than a day(lol) or a week, unless you are some kind of prodigy or a musician with considerable talent, skill and experience, I would imagine.
Depends how hard it's remembering it that's the hard part it took me a day to learn mr brightside on acoustic by the killers but 2 weeks to get the picking but consistent. Some songs that seem easy I find hard I still can't play the zephyr song after a month :s
Quote by BassBen93
Depends how hard it's remembering it that's the hard part it took me a day to learn mr brightside on acoustic by the killers but 2 weeks to get the picking but consistent. Some songs that seem easy I find hard I still can't play the zephyr song after a month :s

Man, I feel your pain. At least I know that I'm not alone. Getting good with a guitar is NOT a walk in the park
Last edited by RaySte at Jan 10, 2016,
Sometimes I think it's because I'm stubborn with how I learn stuff some chords I play with weird fingerlings that I did easier which is why when it comes to playing certain stuff I can't do it when it requires you to add little fills between chords like the zephyr song.

On the upside I can fingerpick snow by rhcp but cannot use a normal pick that quickly especially alternate picking like it's played fingers are quicker I can't be asked with learning something that hard
Back to learning the zephyr song again I think.
Varies.

There are some songs I feel like I can nail after 15 minutes (most classic rock, blues, and pop garbage) and then there are songs that take me weeks (Power metal and neo classical metal, some prog rock songs, a lot of classical pieces)

My friends are always amazed at how easily I can just pick a random tab and start playing the song, so they like to make requests and I just look up the tab and start playing it. I say out of 10 requests I can play about 8 of them with little to no issues. Then I go home and try and play my music and get frustrated because I can't even play some solos at half speed. I think I hold myself to a way higher standard than I really should.
Last edited by Blicer at Jan 10, 2016,
An hour to a couple hours to a couple of days, usually. I don't read or write music or even tabs, learned almost all my songs by listening to LP's and cassettes and following a bit at a time then rewind. Usually songs I already know most of the words to. Use the capo to get a chord progression that's easy then transpose it for my voice.
As a lone performer I use chords and in betweens that fit the whole sense of the song including bass and beat, not the chords listed on song sheets although they are a big help and I'll use any key that's comfortable for me.
I don't take lessons, it usually takes between a half hour and a week. After a week I'll have it memorized, and have technically "learned" it, but I wont be able to play it as fluidly as I'd like for performing for another monthish
I take ages. Maybe a couple of weeks on a basic strumming song, but then I also learn the singing part as well, which can be tricky if it's not syncopated to the strumming pattern.

I've spent months on fingerstyle arrangements before I can play them through perfectly from start to finish.

I am fairly newbie at guitar though. 1.5yrs of real solid practice. Before that I had terrible technique and really just knew a few open chords and power chords. I also like to perfect what I'm playing.
I've taken two guitar courses (Beginner and Intermediate, 8th grade and 12th grade subsequently) and have been tutoring folks in music and guitar for the past 5-6 years. It does take some time with a lot of songs. Longest I usually stomach to cover and learn a song is a couple hours, but that also includes memorizing and playing through and tabbing out said songs too. The easiest songs will take me, what, 10-15 minutes before I have them completely down? But then I practice them over and over and over taking my time with it all. I also write them down on a huge set of songs that I have had since I first started guitar 9 years ago. There is no such thing as a "perfect cover", no matter how much one tries. But there IS such a thing as "pretty damn awesome cover" which is what most hope to aim for. Me, I'd say if I can play the song throughout, they're pretty good covers of the songs. Transcription takes time, personally. But in any event, the longer you keep at it and the more diligent you are with it, the easier it seems. Hope this helped answer your question.
There's a lot of beginners here so I feel the need to impart some of my wisdom:

TAKE YOUR TIME when learning songs. Learning a song quickly yields zero benefit and it is not a badge of honor, it's lazy and yields very sloppy playing. I started playing guitar a few years after most of my friends had started and I overtook all of them in 2 years mostly because I learnt things properly and slowly and paid attention to details.

When learning a song, start with the first 4 or 8 bars ( i.e. a small section) and play it until you have mastered it ( this alone may take an hour or more)- then move on to the next small section - now play that until you've mastered it - then combine the two and play those together over and over until you've drilled it in your head - then move on to the next section etc.

As a beginner, learning songs should take an excruciating amount of time - and that is perfectly normal.
Quote by jimtaka
as everyone else already said, it obviously depends on the song... but i'd say anywhere between 15 minutes and a month or two.

^^^^ THIS
Depends on how complicated the stuff is. "Cowboy style" I can learn stuff pretty quickly. Simple fingerstyle stuff with repetitive patterns I can get very quickly. More complex fingerstyle stuff is proving to be quite devilish. I still haven't mastered "Don't Think Twice" and it's been months, but to be fair that song was well beyond my skill level when I started. I've learned a lot while trying to learn that song and it's technically doable now, but just barely. Just got to keep working the rough spots out.

My new instructor is very talented and he says it can take him a month or two to get songs down.
The hardest pieces can take years. The easy pieces can be learned almost instantly.
Page 1 of 2