I recently bought an Epiphone LP Custum (which I love) and plan on playing a lot of Metallica and related stuff with it. I have a Fender Deluxe 1X12 amp and a Korg/Toneworks Multieffects Pedal that allows for a decent metal sound. I was thinking, however, about replacing the bridge pickup with an EMG-60 (Hetfield style) to get a better sound. Does anyone have experience along these lines? Is it worth replacing? Will I get a good enough sound improvement to justify the ~$140 cost?

Thanks,
-cj
Hello johnstca!
If your'e into metal emg is the way to go.I've changed the original pickups on my gibson les paul custom for emg-81(bridge)-85(neck).
Totally worth the 400$CAD (installed)
Emg-60 is usually used as neck pickup.
Bridge is usually emg-81.
Emg and les pauls are a match made in heaven!!
Go for it.
Quote by dauc6
Hello johnstca!
If your'e into metal emg is the way to go.I've changed the original pickups on my gibson les paul custom for emg-81(bridge)-85(neck).
Totally worth the 400$CAD (installed)
Emg-60 is usually used as neck pickup.
Bridge is usually emg-81.
Emg and les pauls are a match made in heaven!!
Go for it.

It costed you FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS to get the EMG's AND install them!? THAT'S INSANE! I think you totally got ripped off.
298.99$ (zakk wylde set)
45.00$ (tax) that's where you get screwed!!!!
60.00$ to get them installed by somebody who knows what he is doing.I heard they are very easy to installed but since this is a 3000.00$ guitar i didn't whant to mess around whit it.I'd probably try on a 400.00$ guitar but not on my les paul.
All prices in canadian funds.
$200 for 81/85
$60 for installment

work amazingly in my epi les paul custom plus
Jesus Rules

SLAM DANCE
A lot of **** in Canada is overpriced. Our local shop sells EMGs for $160 Cdn each for humbuckers. WAY too much IMO. I get my EMGs on ebay, usually for about $75 - 80 US for single humbuckers. The last set I bought in a package was the ZW set for $169 US.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I like the Kirk Hammett sound better. He uses two EMG 81s, which sell for about $99 each at Guitar Center. I'm replacing my crapy pickups on my ESP for them soon. It sounds great.
I think the EMG 81 makes a terrible neck pickup, I much prefer the 85 and 60.
Quote by Danno13
I think the EMG 81 makes a terrible neck pickup, I much prefer the 85 and 60.

I Agree with Danno if your a Lead guitarist 81/85 is your best bet great soloing tone from the 85 cleans are ok. if your a rhythm player 81/60 is your best bet Great Distorted Rhythm tone Great Cleans
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
hehehehe matt heafy of trivium uses EMG in his les paul custom...they look mad as...and i have them in my epiphone custom ...fully sic.....
All the common EMG actives (81, 85, 60, 60A) are all $120USD retail last i heard. you'll probably find them for $100 at most places.

They ARE VERY easy to install. Just gotta know how to solder really, and do it right.

I agree with Danno as well, 81's have terrible cleans IMO. I like my 85's cleans. I've also been debating a 60, not really sure if I wanna make the switch.
I used to use 85s in the neck on most of my guitars until I finally bought a 60 and had some hands-on time with it. I'll never go back to the 85 now. The 60 has a beautiful, glassy clean tone, and can still deliver for soloing on the neck pickup, producing a smooth, creamy tone.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Quote by Crunchmeister
I used to use 85s in the neck on most of my guitars until I finally bought a 60 and had some hands-on time with it. I'll never go back to the 85 now. The 60 has a beautiful, glassy clean tone, and can still deliver for soloing on the neck pickup, producing a smooth, creamy tone.

Im the exact way i used the 85 for a year and a half when i first started playing played a 60 and never went back
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I'd been using the 85 for the last 10 years or so before making the switch. For 8 years prior to that, I was all about dual 81s. I still have dual 81s in my Lado, but that's my soloing guitar, so they work well in that one.

so should I be going out and picking up a 60?

Does it have good distortion? My 85 has good distortion (picks up A.H.'s well too), but it's FAR too bassy. Then again, the bass on my amp is turned up to around 8 for the distortion (treble is full, mids are 0). Either way, I prefer my 81 for distortion, and i switch to 85 whenever i need to go to cleans.
One of the local guitar stores sells Dunlop picks for $1.25 each. I'd say stuff in Canada is overpriced, but that's a ****ty store. I can go to Langley and get Gibson picks for a quarter.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."