Page 1 of 2
ok, this is mainly to try to cheer me up but anybody can respond.

i started in freshman year of high school. barely played until junior/senior year. then i somehow got motivated and basically lived and breathed guitar up till now, the summer before college.

how about you guys? any of you start late?
Last edited by hhsuey at Jul 24, 2006,
Right before the start of 6th grade, I'm now a Sophomore.
My rig:
1999 Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Gibson electronics and Sperzel locking tuners
Ibanez RG470 w/ Floyd Rose (soon to be for sale)
Boss NS-1 Noise Surpressor
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Marshall MG100 1x12" combo
i just started playing seriously this summer im a sophmore now i would have started a few years ago but my parents didnt buy me a guitar and a 12 year old cant make much money
i started when i was little so like 10 years ago maybe.
but i know many who are better than me who have played alot less than me also.
I got my guitar Christmas of sophmore year but didn't start really playing it and focusing on it till around January of Junior year (last january) so i haven't been playing long at all. But like you, as soon as i started playing it i couldn't let it go.
My Gear:

Ibanez Prestige 1570L
LH Fender Standard Stratocaster Arctic White
Ibanez Gax 70L
Roland Cube 30X
Vox V847 Wah
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver Pedal

RedSox are better than you.
I started about 2 and a half years ago, being of Y10
im now 17
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
i got my first guitar for my 16th birthday, and i had to pay for my own amp, that was two and a half years ago i think i've gotten pretty good since then
I think therefore I shred.

My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez VBT700
Fernandes Vertigo Elite
Ovation Celebrity Deluxe
Digitech GNX 4
Quote by WOOTjosephine
Right before the start of 6th grade, I'm now a Sophomore.

Haha I was gonna quote you and say me too...Then I realized it was you hahaha
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
I started when I was 14, now I'm 15.... How well should I be able to solo by now? I always get self conscious about my skill and I'd really like to know if I'm "up to par"
I started real lessons in october of '99. So almost 7 years now.

And I am only 15. I love the level of my talent for my age right now.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
end of 8th grade...im comin up on a year and a half...
Quote by Brandon860
hey man, any person with a Wayne's World avatar I have all the faith in the world in

Founder of the "Taco Bell > You" PM me to join.
ill be a junior in college this year..i always wanted to play but never could get my hands on one til about a year ago and since then its pretty much all i do.
12 and im now 16
....../ `---____________|] ~~~bang!
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_____.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
I started playing my Junior Year in High School, and I'm going to be a sophmore in College this next semester. So Almost 3 years. And I'm disappointed with my abilities But Damnit, I'm gunna keep trying. The biggest reason I can think of that I'm not that good is I never genuinely practice, I just learn other songs. So I need to practice scales and stuff to improve my speed and accuracy of my left hand then I'd be pretty good.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
I started playing when i was 10 in the winter of 04. Now i'm 12 so i have been playing for about 2 years but i don't think i am as good as i should be for playing that long
Dimebag Is God!!!!

President Of The Official Dimebag Darrell Fan Club
PM Me to Join

Member #28 of the Official Alkaline Trio Fan Club. PM greenfinger182 to join.
I started at the end of 10th grade, and I'll be in 11th next year. I'm a begginer and a very late start.
I started sophomore year and am now a senior with my summer earnings poured into my setup.
I have been playing for a few years, but never really practised at all. So i didn't get any good. but recently I have decided to really try and slowly, but surely, I am getting better.
Moonchild of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join

Quote by PinkIsCool
UG- The only place where a heartwarming moment can easily be turned into an act of homosexuality and incest.

3 weeks... I'm wanting to learn the pentatonic scales but i havent found any good sites for them.
My Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Vox AD30VT
Epiphone SG Special - Black
Planet Waves Cables
Levy's Strap
Dunlop .70 Picks
Quote by GuitarStrings12
i started when i was little so like 10 years ago maybe.
but i know many who are better than me who have played alot less than me also.

Mmhmm, same here. I wasn't very motivated for a couple years in my childhood, so I didn't practice much. I also started at age 10, and have been playing for 6 years.
december of senior year in highschool, now im about to start college in the fall. I wish I started sooner....
March of Junior year in high school, I'm a senior this year. I really wish I started earlier.
um when i was 10

so three years ago
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
I started playing in 2003 maybe and im 15 now.
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
hmmmmm sophmore year...now senior....it doesnt feel like that long
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
I started on my 14th birthday, i nearly 15.
Guy who wondered if he was up to par. Most would say you should be able to play solos like Stairway to Heaven. I practiced all day and now i play it nearly smoothly all the way. Couple of bits i suck at. Im at grade 4. so thats my 'par'.
about a year ago. and i'm not doing too bad. i can play a bunch of satch, vai, dream theater, that kind of stuff. but i practice roughly 3-4 hours a day.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by edg
I started playing around 1974.

Wow, another geezer like me. I started when I was about ten years old, playing Beatles songs. I then dropped it for 20 years or so. I picked it up again in 1982 when I was in the Army. For ten years I was playing every day for multiple hours and got pretty good. That's when I was in my first real band. In '92 I got married. A few years later the kids came, so I put the guitars back in their cases for ten years.

In 2002, I picked up the guitars again and have been playing pretty regularly (I try to play every day). I'm in a band again, although we only gig once a year. I'm 45 years old.

So I guess my story is -- if you're older, it's not too late to start. Give it six months of playing an hour a day every day. If you still suck, quit -- but I bet you won't suck.
Guitars: Carvin TL-60T, Carvin C750 Acoustic, Squier Strat w/Carvin C22B & AP11's, Alvarez-Yairi DY76 12-string, Eastman MD-605 Mandolin, Fender Mandocaster, Ibanez UKS-10 Ukulele
Started last year in May, took a guitar class through my school, and over the summer I sorta gave up on it. I got back into it in the fall and started practicing and have gotten much better than where i was at. SO a little more than a year for me.
i hope my story goe something like this....
started 14....First band 14.....18-20 years old hits it big.....unclear (something to do with rock's ultimate god ect).....dies greatest guitarist and performer ever to grace the earth.

Im halfway there. lol. I hope....
Quote by TehNez
Haha I was gonna quote you and say me too...Then I realized it was you hahaha

awww how cute

haha jk
My rig:
1999 Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Gibson electronics and Sperzel locking tuners
Ibanez RG470 w/ Floyd Rose (soon to be for sale)
Boss NS-1 Noise Surpressor
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Marshall MG100 1x12" combo
Started 3-4 weeks ago, I'm 22.

My dad has been playing since he was 10 ( He's 56 now ) and he always tried to get me interested in my early teens but I just dismissed it as crap. A few weeks ago he left a guitar on the couch and I started messing around on it and now I cant get enough. I also have noticed a change in my music taste, all these guitarist's ( Clapton, Hendrix, Page ect.) who i used to call rubbish I now have a world of respect for.

I only wish I knew this earlier, but I guess your never too old to learn.
Page 1 of 2