Well, the first time i saw the solo i really didn't notice the technique, but the second time i got a little shocked. If anyone has seen the solo, it has a technique that looks like Herman Li is just hitting the strings. (Steve Vai uses the same technique in several songs) They pinch the strings and use the vib to.. there i fell out.. Anyone care to explain the technique? Thanx.
when does this happen?
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by Night_Lights
when does this happen?

during the solo, duh
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
The guitar battle solo thingy. Hittin' the strings like a little maniac. Just like Steve Vai on the last G3 too Looks like they're hitting the strings :S Don't understand it. On tablatur it says he's pinching two strings at the same time, but he's just hitting them!
U mean the tapping stuff?

I'm not sure what u mean exactly, but that's prolly it; fretboard tapping (combined w/ sweeping).
Another technique is also the whammy pedal w/ an octaver setting...
I think you're talking about tapping
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

do you mean where it looks like he's grabbing the string with his right hand and pulling it up and down? it's really the whammy bar. he just holds it over the string. is that what you mean?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Guitar<3
whammy octaver thingy, yes! what the hell? :P Explain?

Digitech makes this pedal called the 'Whammy"

Basically, it works kinda like a wah pedal, but instead of modulating between bass & treble frequencies, it actually alters the pitch of ur guitar's sound!
In other words, w/ the octave setting, it creates the effect that ur guitar sounds an octave (12 frets) higher than it is tuned.

Herman uses it throughout the song, but it's more obvious during the solo where he kinda randomizes its use to create that "soaring/flying" sound instead of using the actual whammy bar on the guitar all the time...

Prety cool eh?