Well, a greeat headphone for under 100 bucks is the Sennheiser HD280 Pro

This is not a super-famous brand, but this headphone has recieved only great reviews on most websites that have reviewed it including C-Net which gave it a 8.6 (which is the highest its ever given a headphone).

If you've got cash, go for something better, but this headphone is great on a budget. It doesnt look very cool, but it does its job.
I like the AKG K-55's. They cost me about 17GBP, so they're really cheap, but they're comfortable, and really give a good sound.
just make sure there closed back and you should be okay.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Just curious, but a very important question... what do you intend to do with said headphones?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I'm guessing you're tracking with the headphones, so closed back is a great idea to avoid headphone bleed (where what you hear gets recorded accidentally). That said, don't expect good mixes to come from your headphones...you need to hear your mix through monitors (in layman terms: accurate speakers) in order to do that.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Sennheiser 280's will do the job for the money (you can get pick them up for like $60 or so); great for mixing on a budget.
Exactly, FastFingers. I have two types of headphones.

-A few pairs of cheap $20 closed-back headphones that are loud as bombs for tracking. At that price, if a person comes in to record and they break, I'm not heartbroken.

-A pair of $250 AKG K240 for a good second opinion on a mix or for really critical listening of edits and things like that.

There is NO substitute for proper monitors.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Try the Senn HD280 Pros or the Grado Labs SR80s.
The Grados sound better IMO but will bleed into mics since they are open.
The Senns are a little bulky but really keep the sound at one side and they sound fairly good.

Monitors are nice to mix on but if this is a small portable rig and you are on a budget I dont really think monitors are a #1 priority. They will cost at least $250 for start.
Monitors are *always* a priority.

CT

I'm very happy with my Sennheiser HD497s for mixing, they've got a grat range and a very flat response, especially for the price.
I should be getting monitors in a few weeks, but for now I make do with a combination of headphones (to make sure the frequency spread is fairly even) and good PC speakers to assess the stereo image etc.I've learned to compensate for the speakers' weaknesses, which has helped a great deal.

If I was on a tight budget, I'd much rather spend it on a good pair of headphones than a cheap pair of monitors.
For example; my HD497s (£49) are can supposedly reproduce frequencies from 24 - 22000 Hz. Meanwhile, a pair of moderate-priced monitors (Genelec 8040A - £1,192 a pair) list a frequency response of 48 Hz - 20 kHz.
Obviously this is not the only criteria, and the specs may not be exact, but it shows that cheap monitors are, in one crucial area at least, likely to be a lot worse than cheap headphones.

For tracking, try the Sennheiser HD212. For rough mixing etc, try the HD497 (or similar), or the Grado SR60.
What you say is true. Crappy monitors are like decent stereo speakers. They might represent a wide range of frequencies, but it is HOW they represent them that is problematic. Look at the frequency response curve, and the flatter the better, generally.

If you are getting decent monitors, you'll be amazed at how much better your mixes translate, and you will quickly look back and wonder how you *ever* managed without them.

CT

Just to add, if you find a cheap pair of monitors with a completely flat frequency response they arent likely to translate to normal speakers very well, they might sound a bit hyped in certain frequencies. Just research before you buy.
I was thinking about picking up some skull candys to use when I'm plugging headphones into my amp. I figure it'd be a good idea to have good headphones so I get good quality. I know the buds are crap, but I hear the actual headphones are great. Nothing above seventy, what are a good pair for me?
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
Quote by doommaker
Just to add, if you find a cheap pair of monitors with a completely flat frequency response they arent likely to translate to normal speakers very well, they might sound a bit hyped in certain frequencies. Just research before you buy.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. How can something with a completely flat frequency response sound hyped in certain frequencies??

@daquiz - same question as to the thread starter... what purpose do you want your headphones to serve? Simply for listening to yourself practice through your amp, or something else?

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Jan 11, 2009,