Ok, since, the Dorian mode is pretty much the natural minor of the given key, so I figured hey, what if i mix the Dorian scale with the Minor Pentatonic scale to increas the notes in my runs and such. I use it to fill the notes in between the minor pentatonic scale, it sounds pretty good when i solo, but is this something new, or do people already do that, and i just stumbled upon it???

On that note, the bigger question forces itself, what if i mix in the Harmonic Minor scale (for a dissonant/exotic sound) with those 2 scales, would that be theoretically sound?? Chromatics???

I'm just trying to improve and expand the notes in which i solo in a given key, and maybe diversify/get an original sound.
Eh Aeolian is the Natural Minor mode, not dorian.

And nah you're not the first to think of that... minor pentatonic is basically aeolian without the 2nd and 6th degrees.
Dorian is not the natural minor of any given key.

That said, mixing those scales is fine. Dorian contains the minor pentatonic, though the two scales sound different. As far as harmonic minor goes, you need to watch how the b6 and 6 in the same lick sound and how the b7 and 7 in the lick sound. Don't play harmonic minor over chords where you shouldn't use it. Just be careful with it.

As always, use your ear and good taste when messing around, especially with chromatics.
chromatics will work well. yes, thats been done before. alot. mixing the harmonic minor subtely with the penatonic scale will give you a cool bluesy feel.
ahhh **** me, i have been mistaken again in Theory.

Well, how come Dorian works pretty well when i mix it in with the Minor Pentatonic???
Quote by pinholes89
Well, how come Dorian works pretty well when i mix it in with the Minor Pentatonic???
Dorian contains every note in the minor pentatonic. You're not going to get the aeolian sound using that, but it is acceptable to use dorian over a minor chord.
^^
Thanks, cuz i've been using both Dorian and Minor Pent. for like 2 months and it sounded pretty cool together. Its alot better when I use Dorian for guitar runs and such when I solo in the minor Pentatonic. So, mixing in the Aeolian with the Minor Pent. would also sound good in the given key i'm soloing in??
Quote by pinholes89
^^
Thanks, cuz i've been using both Dorian and Minor Pent. for like 2 months and it sounded pretty cool together. Its alot better when I use Dorian for guitar runs and such when I solo in the minor Pentatonic. So, mixing in the Aeolian with the Minor Pent. would also sound good in the given key i'm soloing in??

Yes, as the min penta is in the Aeolian mode.. and you're adding the 2nd and 6th - usually the two notes that create the most tension, so you've got them to work with.

I'll switch from pentatonic to diatonic pretty often during improvisation.