chould i use a high b string as a high e string because i have alot b strings and no e and cant get to the local shop soon thanks in advance

edit as in put another b string where the high e is supposed to be and tune the b to e
Last edited by metalmiliita56 at Jul 24, 2006,
Sure. I used to do it all of the time. Depending on what gauge you use, there shouldn't be any problem. I used .09's, so it was nothing.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
it'll just be a little harder to bend, and you may get a tiny bit of fret buzz, but still try it anyways. it won't hurt anything
Thats a lot of tension for the string. What tuning do you keep your guitar in? Or plan on tuning the string to?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
One difference in string thickness isn't going to cause any damage. an .11 is light enough to be played as a high E and not cause too much tension. Its not like he's going from 8's to 13's
Lol, absolutely no problem, but if the gauges for the 2 strings are the same, you'd want to chop your fingers off because it feel so weird.

Well I use .015s, which pretty crazy, but I love it.
.013s are my 2nd fav choice.

GO THICK STRINGS!
Quote by Invictious
Lol, absolutely no problem, but if the gauges for the 2 strings are the same, you'd want to chop your fingers off because it feel so weird.

Well I use .015s, which pretty crazy, but I love it.
.013s are my 2nd fav choice.

GO THICK STRINGS!

why the hell would you want stings that thick?
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Because I love the tone that the produce, and I hate thin strings, anything below .011s give me a headache, unless i get my mids at like..15

Besides thick strings help build strength and when i change back to .013s (if the strings do break, which I don't think they will...) they will feel like feathers, I hope.

Right now I am enjoying .015s.

Raah.
15s? Nice one. Do any string makers do 15s in packs or do you have to buy them individually? Heaviest that come in packs I've heard of is 13s (which I use).
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
oh wait. do you down tune with the 15s? then maybe that makes sense, but just standard with 15 sounds like it'd have way too much tension. i use 10's and sometimes 9's and the sound isnt thin at all.
and sure, the 15's will build strength, but i can almost guarantee even a single sweaty, crazy gig will tear up your callouses.
Well I play around 2 hours a day, and I have plenty of callouses from playing cello for 7 years. Cello strings are thicker and they are 50x harder to press down on the fingerboard to produce a good tone.
I downtune to Drop C, occasionally drop a or drop E (octave lower) if i want to make something blow up.

I got to custom order my strings from the music store because the guy knew me and gave me quite a large discount.
^ ah no ****. what kind of music do you play with those kinds of tunings?
Usually metal, like SOAD, iron maiden, Black sabbath etc
a little bit of metallica and tons of greenday (j/k)

Well for the extremely low tunings, i just play any random metal piece but i whack the strings too, I can feel my cube 30w crackle and making sizzling sounds,

as a matter of fact, my mouse is sliding across the table as i thump on the low low e string.

Yes, i have my bass cranked and my volume pretty high, and its late here, so i guess i better turn it down.
i just created a localized earthquake in the middle of the night.

I cranked my amp to full (i know, crazy, shouldn't be treating cube30w like this) and for my EQ
b 10
m 0
t 0

Full guitar volume, tone knob at 0, bridge pickup (hum****ing), drop e tuning, whammy bar all the way to the body, put on earplugs, whacked the low e string as hard to possible.

I witnessed the explosion of my terrapin and my cat exploded. The cup of water shook so violently it spilt some. The mouse fell off the keyboard, and my dad woke up

lol, i am serious. people shold try this atleast a few times in their life.
^
Quote by Dæmönika
I'm afraid of you...MDoggDX316phobia

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: The Hype Man of the UG Hip
Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
Quote by flogrock
oh wait. do you down tune with the 15s? then maybe that makes sense, but just standard with 15 sounds like it'd have way too much tension. i use 10's and sometimes 9's and the sound isnt thin at all.
and sure, the 15's will build strength, but i can almost guarantee even a single sweaty, crazy gig will tear up your callouses.

Dick Dale (he played Misirlou, slightly better known as 'the tune from Pulp Fiction') used 18s in standard tuning, and SRV often used 16s (although I think he might've tuned a half step down), but anyway, 15s won't cause too much tension.

Also, I've got callouses which I gradually built up my making my strings heavier a little at a time (9s to 10s to 11s to 12s to 13s), and they can survive any crap you might like to throw at them. Admittedly I now have no feeling in the fingertips of my left hand, but what the hell

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Dick Dale (he played Misirlou, slightly better known as 'the tune from Pulp Fiction') used 18s in standard tuning, and SRV often used 16s (although I think he might've tuned a half step down), but anyway, 15s won't cause too much tension.

Also, I've got callouses which I gradually built up my making my strings heavier a little at a time (9s to 10s to 11s to 12s to 13s), and they can survive any crap you might like to throw at them. Admittedly I now have no feeling in the fingertips of my left hand, but what the hell

yeah, but can you bend up 1 1/2 steps?? easily.
Yep. Not easily, no. Took a little practice. I'm nearly up to two whole steps and hope to be up to and a half steps fairly soon after that. I can do two and a half steps with 11s already.

Quote by Invictious
Usually metal, like SOAD, iron maiden, Black sabbath etc
a little bit of metallica and tons of greenday (j/k)

Well for the extremely low tunings, i just play any random metal piece but i whack the strings too, I can feel my cube 30w crackle and making sizzling sounds,

as a matter of fact, my mouse is sliding across the table as i thump on the low low e string.

Yes, i have my bass cranked and my volume pretty high, and its late here, so i guess i better turn it down.

I know SOAD uses Drop C, but thats the lowest tuning they've used. As far as I know almost ALL metallica is in standard E.... So..?
i'm not sayin 11's i'm sayin 15's.

Ah right, I thought you meant me personally with my 13s. Right. Well, as I think I said, SRV used 16s and could bend like a mofo, so still yeah.

Thats nothing. My high e is .25.

I play a Fender Bass VI (that long scale Jaguar, to all you nubs)
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by Pedricko
Thats nothing. My high e is .25.

I play a Fender Bass VI (that long scale Jaguar, to all you nubs)

Yeah, but since they have a scale length of about 30 inches that's not really the same. They're not in standard tuning either... are they? BEADGB perhaps?

Quote by Strat_Monkey
Ah right, I thought you meant me personally with my 13s. Right. Well, as I think I said, SRV used 16s and could bend like a mofo, so still yeah.

I think that SRV tuned down a step from standard
Well I play metallica in Drop A or something, i don't play along with CDs...
Well its morning and i wokeup and I find the irresistable itch to make my cat explode.
Quote by Clay Treznum
it'll just be a little harder to bend, and you may get a tiny bit of fret buzz, but still try it anyways. it won't hurt anything

except your hand when the string snaps.
Dickless.
Quote by numbfinger
why the hell would you want stings that thick?

the tone is godly, they have a ton more sustain, feel a whole lot better than paper thin 9 gauge strings. thin strings are so horrible disgusting, they feel like they are going to fall off the fretboard.

Quote by flogrock
oh wait. do you down tune with the 15s? then maybe that makes sense, but just standard with 15 sounds like it'd have way too much tension.

no such thing as too much tension if you've got the fingers, the problem with tuning 15s up to standard is that some makers dont make them strong enough so they will snap before you get them up to tune

Quote by Clay Treznum
yeah, but can you bend up 1 1/2 steps?? easily.

yup, no problemo. not with one finger, i can bend two steps but i need to use 3 fingers to do that.

Quote by yeahyeah
I think that SRV tuned down a step from standard

he generally tuned down half a step.
I have strong fingers, so bending is not a problem, the highest i ever go with .015s are Drop C, which are a bit taut, its pretty comfortable in Drop A, and well, in Drop E, it's great fun.

Go mishra for loving thick strings.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
except your hand when the string snaps.

i was talking about going to .9 to .11. Elevens arn't hard, their not gonna ****in snap when he bends.