As me and my guitar teacher have started to progress into more complicated things, he has started to notice my timing isnt great.. He's trying to help me with it by giving me different riffs to play along with a metronome. But when I play along with a metronome for some reason I tend to speed up and go off time with it. I think its that the clicks after playing for a little while start to run together and gives me the impression that it speeds up.. and I do notice that after a while I start to loose track of the ticks, I started counting in my head now (1-2-1-2-1-2 or 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4) and it kinda helps...

But basicly anyone have any suggestions I could try other then slow down my metronome and practice like hell... ?

Thank You
Tap your foot or just try and physically do something like maybe nod your head.and make sure you can hear your metronome. For example, dont have your guitar up so loud that its hard to hear your metronome.
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
start tapping your foot when you listen to music and it will come naturally to tap your foot when you play guitar.
Like everyone else has been saying, tapping ur foot is probably the best approach. It's a physical way of feeling the timing of the music which actually works better than a metronome itself (if u can keep a decent tempo on ur own).

But my best response would be u proably got the guitar louder than the metronome...
Yeah, listen to more music! Play with a 'nome! Tap your foot. The more you're around music, the more it gets ingrained into your head.
Thanks for the advice, I've recently started tapping with my foot, starts to hurt a bit after a while but I started tapping with the back part of my foot while having my toes planted on the ground and that works great...
yeah, when i shred, i tend to lose timing after about 16 measures or so. It's mainly when i'm improvising though, so idk...these ideas might help, but i coulda thought of that stuff easy. Anyone got some really good, unique methods?
Yeah, a metronome by itself is rarely any help to me (and mine is so incredibly low, it always get's drowned out). Doing something like tapping your foot, although not perfect, helps me to keep track of the metronome better.
Quote by wasp2020
Yeah, a metronome by itself is rarely any help to me (and mine is so incredibly low, it always get's drowned out). Doing something like tapping your foot, although not perfect, helps me to keep track of the metronome better.

Use the metronome. If you think you can tap your foot more efficiently than a metronome think again. Tapping your foot without already having good timing could make your timing worse. Play along with a CD.
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
I never said that. In fact I acknowledged that by saying that "it's not perfect". I just said it helps me keep track of the metronome better, as it's hard to hear.
Quote by wasp2020
I never said that. In fact I acknowledged that by saying that "it's not perfect". I just said it helps me keep track of the metronome better, as it's hard to hear.

My bad I misunderstood you. I get it now foot WITH metronome! Yea Ill agree with that
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals