Page 1 of 2
so i was watching this korn concert on tv and noticed that there bassist alot of the time slaps but like with his hole hand, it looks like he hits all the strings. is he playing chords like that or what
He slaps back and forth between his thumb and pinky to able him to slap faster. He says he is more of a drummer than bassist. He uses the clicky tone of his Ibby to give Korn an original sound.

Now, before I say anything else, if you flame Fieldy of Korn, your post will be deleted and you will recieve a warning.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
No, he says he assumes the role of a second drummer as well as a bassist. He is a much more rythmic than melodic player, and writes bass lines like drum lines.

Quote by 4string-tsurigi
he's the drummer?!

*hasn't heard much of korn*

No, he's the bassist. I kinda like his style, very original.
thats awsome must take sum mad skills to slap with yer pinky
Last edited by emf810 at Jul 24, 2006,
All he is doing is rotating his wrist back and forth. A normal slap invovles wrist, arm, and thumb movements. His slap involves only the wrist. He uses his pinky and thumb more like a drum stick. He holds them stiff.

Mostly the B string and the E string... although they are de-tuned to A and D respectivley

And it had been so long since he was mentioned....

First of all, he hits the strings he needs to when he's playing...makes sense.

Incubus is right (of course, you don't become a mod for being wrong) Fieldy slaps a kind of unique way, he doesn't move his whole arm. He said he feels like, "a drummer trapped in a bassist's body." If you listen to Korn a lot, like I used to, you'll notice he locks up with David (the drummer) a lot, more so than Head and Munky (guitarists) so, in a way, he's like another drummer.

Although on some of Korn's older albums Fieldy does play melodic lines, but it's rare. It's actually kind of weird to actually hear Fieldy's bass, and not just CLACK CLACK CLACK.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I wish some how their was a way to combo his style with a more melodic style of playing. I dont know about the rest of yall but that "clack" is cool in certan parts of their stuff but it (to me) gets old really quick.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
^Yeah thats a pretty cool video. Not too hard but very well blended together.
They where probally waching live sh*t seattal and went "O, That looks like fun" "Yeah, Head. I bet if we do it right people will think we have big dic*s!" "Uaaa, ok... sure."

Ok, sorry i made that last part up .
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

PM NightmareXT To Join!

^Either explain yourself, or get a warning. Right now, that looks like a "flame korn" message.

^ I can't understand his post at all....
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
He said, if anyone flames Korn or Fieldy they will be warned. The post before his was boredline flame. So he told the person to explain their post or be warned.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
^Yertle was saying he couldn't understand Beleuchtung's post lol.

I feel dumb now...
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
^Either explain yourself, or get a warning. Right now, that looks like a "flame korn" message.

Ok to me it sounded kinda like they ripped that off of the live verson of TLITD, and sorry the last part was kinda an inside joke between me and a a few band mates. Not a flame just made me laugh.... I'll be going now.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry

PM NightmareXT To Join!

Quote by Beleuchtung
They where probally waching live sh*t seattal and went "O, That looks like fun" "Yeah, Head. I bet if we do it right people will think we have big dic*s!" "Uaaa, ok... sure."

Ok, sorry i made that last part up .

umm...head isnt even in that video.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Lets completely forget Beleuchtung ever said that and move on...

ok

*new topic*

anyone have "Greatest hits volume 1"? ive got it and it comes with a DVD of a live performance at CBGB's. its pretty cool, and sounds really nice for being a live DVD. one cool thing is fieldy has a litte bass groove intro to "got the life". its straight up slap bass and it sounds so cool. if i find an internet clip, ill post it.
i dont like feildy because he uses a lot of effects
a lot of different effects that indeed gives it a neat distinct sound
but it should only be used for really heavy stuff not everything
he is a great player but on the more recent albums doesnt show it as much and relies heavily on the effects
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
Quote by lp_dude_2
ok

*new topic*

anyone have "Greatest hits volume 1"? ive got it and it comes with a DVD of a live performance at CBGB's. its pretty cool, and sounds really nice for being a live DVD. one cool thing is fieldy has a litte bass groove intro to "got the life". its straight up slap bass and it sounds so cool. if i find an internet clip, ill post it.

Actually, my friend had that version of the CD. I saw it like a week after the greatest hits CD came out. I barely remember it.

Heres the video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nfD6BIAoXMs&search=Korn%20CBGB

Quote by metaljunkie
i dont like feildy because he uses a lot of effects

he uses like 3 effects.

Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Actually, my friend had that version of the CD. I saw it like a week after the greatest hits CD came out. I barely remember it.

Heres the video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nfD6BIAoXMs&search=Korn%20CBGB

man i was about to post that too. but you beat me to it oh well. man that bass line sounds awesome. i cant wait until i get my SR505.
Turn your midrange all the way down, and Bass and treble all the way detune your B string to A, and distort only the highs... Slap the A string really hard, and it will sound just like that!

EDIT: Thank you for pointing that out hatebreed... i need more sleep

Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Turn your midrange all the way down, and Bass and treble all the way uptune your B string to A, and distort only the highs... Slap the A string really hard, and it will sound just like that!

cool man, will do. i should have it with the next couple months. got kinda a big list of stuff i gotta get first.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Turn your midrange all the way down, and Bass and treble all the way uptune your B string to A, and distort only the highs... Slap the A string really hard, and it will sound just like that!

Downtune to A. Actually they usually tune down one whole step, as in, (low to high) ADGCF

-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
The bassline from "Got the Life" is actually really awesome, he shows some killer percussive work there, with lots of speed. Well, I dunno maybe not speed, it seems fast, but the last timeI attemptedit was when I was a newbie, I probably could pull it off now.
I respect him for trying something different, seems to make him sound like the rockabilly double bass clicks though... though they'd be no use for him otherwise really... the low endis preetty much covered by guitarists anyway...
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Page 1 of 2