My friend bought a guitar and he's wanting to learn. he just wants a cheap amp to get started. what's best amp you can get for around $100?
Look for Roland cubes and Vox valvetronix.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
If you hear anything that sounds like 'MG", start punching people until you find the person who said it.
Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Pile on many more layers and I'll be joining you there.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
And we'll bask in the shadow of yesterday's triumph,
sail on the steel breeze.
Roland Cube 15 goes for 90$ or so, that would be a good starter amp.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
its versatile and its pretty loud considering its size. On the micro, there is also a mic imput and can run off batteries, 6 AA i believe. Ive only tried the micro and its a pretty good amp to me, the models are allright.
everyone is talking about the micro cube

i got one love it, but its just a portable amp, you could afford higher wattage if ya wanted to. but its loud for 2 watts
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club, PM deadhead313313

People Wouldn't know good music if it hit them in face
- Frank Zappa

Gear:
Carvin CT3
Digitech GNX3
Peavey Classic 30
fender 15-watt amp is what i started on...but i don't know if its the best or not...as around, lots of people have old or small amps that they are willing to sell, trade or give away
Quote by El Cumanés
Crate GT15 (100$-150$) + Fab Metal pedal (14$).

Pure ****..i honestly traded my Crate GT65 today towards a new guitar and only received abotu 120 for it and it was a 65 watt version, the things are cheap for a reason, micro cube or maybe a vox da5, or a 15 watt cube or valvetronix
Quote by Underthrone
fender 15-watt amp is what i started on...but i don't know if its the best or not...as around, lots of people have old or small amps that they are willing to sell, trade or give away

I started with the same amp. Fender Frontman 15R. DON'T BUY IT, IT SUCKS!
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
instead of microcube, just get the cube 15W. it's a little cheaper, doesn't run on batteries and it's louder.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
I needed a backup practice amp so I bought this one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Vintager-GM110-Combo-Amp?sku=480685

Behringer GM110. 30Watts 10inch Speaker and some pretty good Distortionsss.

Plenty of volume for a beginner. Plus its $69. Take a look at the amps you can get for that price. You won't find any other amps with those specs for under 100 bucks.

Go to Harmony Central and read the reviews.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Behringer/GM110+Combo/10/1

Good Luck!