can someone tell me about the Steve Vai 10 hour workout? how does it work? do u just do each exercise for like a half hour or something?

not that i have that much time on my hands, just curious..

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
i actaully heard steve vai talk about something like this in person. he did a guitar workshop type thing. he basically says that you focus on one technique, like bending on something, for an extremely long time. do nothing but that one technique until you start coming up with new ways to do it
Peace , Love , Death Metal

Quote by Super_Duper_Guy
It probably started at $55 but then he thought "You know what? F&*$ them. 1 dollar extra. pwned noobs."
That bastard...
don't play for ten hours...i don't care who you are...and there is no way Steve Vai did it either...the only thing i can do for ten hours is sleep...
Underthrone, your an idiot....

Yes steve vai played for 10 hours...

The 10 hour work out is steve working on different concepts and ideas, each hour... For example, one hour he works on picking, the other he works on trills.... I wont go in to detail....... Also His 10th hour is just jamming out......
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by Underthrone
don't play for ten hours...i don't care who you are...and there is no way Steve Vai did it either...the only thing i can do for ten hours is sleep...

You're an idiot?
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
It freaking Steve Vai if anyones practiced for ten hours straight it would be him hes a guitar genius.
IF you play the same thing over and over you'll probably find a new way to do it so it wont be so boring. I think its possible to play for 10 hours
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
Quote by El Codyo
^Too bad you're not a grammar genious.

lol

10 hours would be hard, and I don't doubt him, but it would be extremely hard to do one thing for a long time.
my music myspace!

Quote by cefasnacht
Quote by Dobzilla
I've never had peanutbutter...
wtf!?!?!?!
But repitition makes you grasp the technique. He probably has figured out that it takes 10 hours to master a technique...
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

^ LOL, did you say 10 hours to master a technique? You can play a 100 years and not *Master* a technique.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Well, whatever. I don't know what the hell Vai is getting at with a 10 hr straight workout...
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

I heard about him practicing vibrato of one note in one position for about three hours. I attempted it, lasted about 15 minutes. Not a bad idea though.
I that the workout is a waste of time.

In fact, any exercise is a waste of time.

IMO, scales arpeggios etc aren't exercises, but they aren't music either.
Quote by flyingjew34
But repitition makes you grasp the technique. He probably has figured out that it takes 10 hours to master a technique...
Actually I think he does 10 different techniques and then just spends an hour on each one.

I think I need a 10 hour pinch harmonic workout.
Quote by Invictious
I that the workout is a waste of time.

In fact, any exercise is a waste of time.

IMO, scales arpeggios etc aren't exercises, but they aren't music either.

your a silly head.
Quote by codybcool
Stagg's are the kind of brand that you see selling on eBay from a 0 feedback Chinese man for 99p and no one buys them.
i might try a half hour a technique and maybe do 4 or 5 techniques and see if that helps, i cant even imagine 10 hours though, i love to play guitar but 10 hours? thats insane and um im not sure what kinda music that one guy listens to if scales and arpeggios arent involved... maybe punk?
I should spend more time on practicing techniques too, but 10 freaking hours?!

Like said before, the only thing I can keep on doing for 10 hours is sleeping...
Thank god I don't want to be a shredder Too much rehearsal can also kill the music (like Roland said, a Belgian guitar player/musician)
Quote by SlashHammett
your a silly head.

You're a bigger sillyhead.

exercises are just empty shells, nothing in there, they make your finger better for the exercises, but not for other types of music.
I've been told this a few times by guitar teachers and i've foudn it to be true.

if you practice one technique or one scale for too long you start getting bored and rushing notes, and if you rush notes your muscle memory will be screwed up and u'll end up doing it wrong. also you'll tire your fretting hand.

a bit of variety doesn't go astray, i'm usually learning 2 or 3 riffs at the same time, just so that if i get frustrated with one, i can go on to another, and then go back to the one i was frustrated with and i'll usually get it because i'm more relaxed.
A way to right the abovementioned scenario is to improvise with the exercise, but they wouldn't be called exercises anymore..
yeah learning or playing different riffs at the same time really helps me, im a metal lead noob and i was learning bodoms bed of nails beginning lick and if i got bored or frustrated id just forget about it and play something else for a bit
everyone is different, when vai developed the excercise, he made it to fit his own needs, and to try and inspire others to come up with their own excercises, but workouts arent for everybody
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
steve vai used to have that 36 hour work out that he used to do while playing with Zappa.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Play that long, i think will make you start to play worse at some point, cause the mental tiredness. Even if you play one hour per technique. Don't know about you guys, buy that happen to me, the maximum time that i can play effectively on ONE lick is like 15 min - 20min before i stat to play it sloppy.
i find that when i start getting sloppy and i know i can do better, just doing something else like rubbing one out helps alot.
ok so i found the tab for the workout, and theres like 20 exercises in the tab.. so each one for 1/2 hour should make a 10 hour workout...

maybe cut it down to like a 3 hour workout, and then ill do it, lol
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.