Page 1 of 3
Interesting conversation I had with my friend recently, thought I'd get everyone's take on it here.

My friend is absolutely convinced that metal is dying because of the internet, i.e. MySpace, PureVolume, illegal downloading, & forums like this one. Now what he told me, he means "dying" in several different ways. The first being an oversaturation of bands, take suicidal USBM nowadays, after Weakling, Xasthur, & Leviathan everyone is trying to jump on the band wagon. He also told me that forums like this one, are "infecting the scene" with a bunch of runny nosed 12 year old kids that think their the sh!t & know everything about metal because they bought the newest Behemoth cd. Lastly, he said that illegal downloading was really killing metal because any little kid can go & download the latest Sargiest cd, put it on their ipod never listen to it, & act "kvlt". Now while I thought he had some good points in the conversation, like record labels not being able to make money, i.e. Razorback, most of it I vehemently disagreed with. Thoughts?
Don't analyze my beliefs & I won't pick out the flaws in yours
I find Metalheads buy way more CDs than people who listen to whatever's popular. I have more CDs than most of my friends combined. And most forums have people who know what they're talking about on them (like this one). IMO sites like Myspace and Purevolume can only help record labels find their next kickass band and sign them, although i would personally prefer to get a contract by word of mouth/kickass demo. I also fail to see how music sites have more people riding the coattails of acclaimed bands, but i can see how they would have more exposure.
Quote by RingmasterTJ
Interesting conversation I had with my friend recently, thought I'd get everyone's take on it here.

My friend is absolutely convinced that metal is dying because of the internet, i.e. MySpace, PureVolume, illegal downloading, & forums like this one. Now what he told me, he means "dying" in several different ways. The first being an oversaturation of bands, take suicidal USBM nowadays, after Weakling, Xasthur, & Leviathan everyone is trying to jump on the band wagon. He also told me that forums like this one, are "infecting the scene" with a bunch of runny nosed 12 year old kids that think their the sh!t & know everything about metal because they bought the newest Behemoth cd. Lastly, he said that illegal downloading was really killing metal because any little kid can go & download the latest Sargiest cd, put it on their ipod never listen to it, & act "kvlt". Now while I thought he had some good points in the conversation, like record labels not being able to make money, i.e. Razorback, most of it I vehemently disagreed with. Thoughts?

Uhh if anything forums like this improve metal awareness.

the whole USBM thing... HE CAN GO FUCK HIMSELF. Im doing a solo BM project inspired by the bands i like, None of them are from the US. It doesnt mean its going to be good, but its something i like to do.

Your friend is a little elitist bitch. If anything he needs to actually come on to forums like these and get his bitch ass owned
In a way, yeah, the internet is ****ing it all up.

I bet half of the people that visit this exact forum never had a desire to listen to metal, but with the help of soulseek, kazaa, winmx, and all the other ****ing p2p programs out there it was possible for these people to easily access the music...

So they read and figured out it was what music is supposed to be about...

Music.

Not glamour. Not fame. Not popularity. Not what everyone else is doing. Just music.

Being cult, knowledgable, or having the ability to name off 57894378943 bands that have never been heard of before hardly has anymore merit these days.

The way I look at it is if you like the music because you yourself like it, and listen to it because you yourself discovered it... Without the sole help of a forum, or a website, or a chatroom... Then that's what being a fan of music is all about.
Black/Death.
That's crap. Most people wouldn't BE into metal if it wasn't for the internet.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by Gman400

Well i wouldnt say most, but deffinatly many. If not for this forum id still be listening to metallica 24/7

thread over
its all about the relativity of music. the more obscure a metal band is, the better it is, everyone knows that. Therefore, if a band didn't exist, it would be the best metal ever. Therefore, the best bands never have and never will exist.

[/endwtfwasthat]
or something like that. i think its the lack of information available about metal that is killing it. thats where the hot topic crowds buying ozzfest tickets come in.

most of the people i know who call themselves metalheads listen to metalcore and nu metal bands that really don't cut the mustard of valid music, but they've never heard of the ebands that matter

metal is obscure, those who don't know its true nature are missing out

metal is not marketable
Quote by Gman400

2nded
I know this forum alone has taught me and exposed me to loads of metal I otherwise never would've even heard of. That's why I rarely post, but check back often--just to look find something new to listen to. Plus once I hear about something that might be good, I can use the internet to download a song or two from said band and find out if it's worth buying. Which if it's good, I do.
Essentially, your friend sucks.
Member #32 of the Opeth Fan Club. PM Molodov to join.
Quote by Gman400

3rd. Along with Dilion, I would most likely listen to Metallica all the time too along with Pantera if it wasn't for the World Wide Web. So, I'd say the interent helps people get into Metal and doesn't kill it IMO. Maybe things like illegal downloading is a flaw, but it doesn't kill Metal overall IMO.
Last edited by SGRocker0791 at Jul 24, 2006,
half the stuff i listen to, i found out about on this forum. I buy more cds because of the fact that i am exposed to so much music on the net. The internet is killing popular music because those fans aren't seriously into music as say, the regulars on this site. They don't actually care about bands, they just want music for free and so what if the effect is negative. Thats why most people you see in the cd stores now are real music fans.
Read my post. Not this.
Quote by Riff_Man_2002
Essentially, your friend sucks.

Don't analyze my beliefs & I won't pick out the flaws in yours
Quote by Gman400
Most people wouldn't BE into metal if it wasn't for the internet.
Fourthed.

If it wasn't for the Internet, I wouldn't know about half the bands that I love. And as for downloaded music cutting album sales, I'd disagree. I download tons of albums, but if I like the album, I buy it; if I don't, I delete it. I use bittorrents as 'try-before-you-buy's.
Yeah, I download albums sometimes, but I buy them later on, so I don't feel guilty about downloading them. Plus, oddly, I enjoy music more if I bought it.
Whats killing metal is all these stupid bands like chidos and underoath that like to say there are metal and Downloading probly is'nt helping either.
Last edited by Cliff 'em All at Jul 25, 2006,
Quote by somepunkkid
Uhh if anything forums like this improve metal awareness.

It helped me, if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't aware of about 3/4 of the metal I like.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
if a dumbass kid goes out and downloads the lated kriegsmachine and puts it on his ipod, that means the kid is just a dumbass poser. its not gonna kill the metal scene.
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
The internet is not destroying metal.

Sites like these are keeping it alive.

Fin.
How can we separate fact from fiction in a world where we are desensitized by our own minds?
^word. I also find that limewire has helped me increase my music collection by about 3000 odd songs. And I still buy cd's but if I want to find out what a band sounds like beforehand, limewire is a sampler in a sense. And even if I have something downloaded, usually if I really like a band I'll go out and buy the album anyway. LIke already been said, the internet increases awareness about various bands, and for people with lower incomes its invaluable

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by grimreaper65
I find Metalheads buy way more CDs than people who listen to whatever's popular. I have more CDs than most of my friends combined. And most forums have people who know what they're talking about on them (like this one). IMO sites like Myspace and Purevolume can only help record labels find their next kickass band and sign them, although i would personally prefer to get a contract by word of mouth/kickass demo. I also fail to see how music sites have more people riding the coattails of acclaimed bands, but i can see how they would have more exposure.

very true also, because a lot of people that listen to top 40 or whatever's hot at the moment usually limit it at one cd per band, and just download the popular songs and buy compilations with the same songs. Not true for every single person but certainly applicable for a lot of people all the same. And then there's that whole ringtone bull****...

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I must agree with most of the posts said so far.

If anything, the internet is improving metal more than it is destroying it.

I see the internet as a "free advertising" place for metal bands.
roar
If it weren't for the internet, I'd have probably gotten over metal by now. I found about, like, half the bands I know from this forum.

I download crap, but I sure as hell make sure I'm going to support the artists if I enjoy it. People who only download lack morals and decency.
If it wasn't for the internet there is absolutely no way I would would be listening to any metal except for one or two more well known bands like Metallica, Megadeth and Maybe Iron maiden. No way would I be listening to anything like Death or Black.

Thanks internet
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
The only way I see that the internet is screwing up Metal is internet piracy, but not for the same reason your friend made.

Metal bands now a days make so little to start with, unless you're talking means of Metallica or Slayer or some metal band that has sold out to a huge record label. But take a band such as Draconian, Amon Amarth, or Naglfar. I seriously doubt those guys even break into the 50,000 in album sales. Now take that figure and subtract how many people now a days just download the album and burn it. Its the reason why Derek Roddy had to quit Hate Eternal because he wasn't making enough money to live off of.
Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.

Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
The internet has only helped metal. I would have never discovered any kind of extreme metal had it not been for the internet. I try to buy as many CD's as I can, and sites like metal archives help me decide what's best.

^Yeah, piracy is pretty bad, but the majority of bands barely sell any albums anyways. Every metal musician knows that if they go professional with their music, they will be doing it for the music and not the money. The market is just really small, and gets smaller the more extreme you go.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
Quote by CSguitarvocal
The only way I see that the internet is screwing up Metal is internet piracy, but not for the same reason your friend made.

Metal bands now a days make so little to start with, unless you're talking means of Metallica or Slayer or some metal band that has sold out to a huge record label. But take a band such as Draconian, Amon Amarth, or Naglfar. I seriously doubt those guys even break into the 50,000 in album sales. Now take that figure and subtract how many people now a days just download the album and burn it. Its the reason why Derek Roddy had to quit Hate Eternal because he wasn't making enough money to live off of.

you're right provided everyone just downloads the albums. But most metal fans if they are serious about the music will go to shows and buy cd's and merch and support their fave bands in that respect anyway. And internet is bringing that to people that would like the music but wouldn't have otherwise heard of it

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
George Bush doesn't care about black people.

if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
Oversaturation of bands? Just don't listen to the ****ty ones, what's the problem? Just because you don't like the "new" fans doesn't mean the music is dying.
I agree that piracy may be killing music on the whole, people will always buy CDs though. I don't think it will ever cause too many problems.
I'm fucking sorry if I live on Guam and the cd outlets have almost no good metal cd's, shipping is a bitch when ordering online (plus I don't even have my own credit-card), and there is virtually nobody else who knows as much about metal as I do on this small island to even have a single Bathory cd in possession. Although, I may download a lot, that's mainly for stuff that is pretty rare (on Guam at least), and plus for bands like Nile and Behemoth (who are more of the well-known metal bands), I usually end up buying the cd's afterwards.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
i think myspace is okay, as its opened the door to small bands to give them a chance to get a bit of exposure, however i hate illegal downloading. Firstly i like to buy the album myself, it gives something back to a band i like, it also means i get the cd as a real thing, not just as a file on my computer, and often you get artwork with cds. Illegal downloading pisses me off because it is selfish and no-one benefits apart from the downloader.
who are you to wave your finger......
I'm not reading the first or any posts, but to respond to the title. No, it has only helped broaden metal.
Quote by kirkisking
I'm fucking sorry if I live on Guam and the cd outlets have almost no good metal cd's, shipping is a bitch when ordering online (plus I don't even have my own credit-card), and there is virtually nobody else who knows as much about metal as I do on this small island to even have a single Bathory cd in possession. Although, I may download a lot, that's mainly for stuff that is pretty rare (on Guam at least), and plus for bands like Nile and Behemoth (who are more of the well-known metal bands), I usually end up buying the cd's afterwards.

I thought you said there was a really good store in Guam with loads of rare demos and stuff?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I'd have to say the internet, esp. Myspace helps expose bands, cause the bands have the option to allow the songs for download, but it's places more like TorrentSpy.com that do the file sharing thing that ruin it. But metal is ususally not good to download off TorrentSpy, so we tend to enjoy hunting for new CD's, so to me the internet doesn't really do much to hurt metal, only the more mainstream popular music.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Yes I agree to an extent. It is easy to get metal's hard to find music, but the true heads will have those CD's in hand. I have too many CD's far more than anyone I know Lots of very hard to find stuff I have collected over the years. Some Vinyls but Mostly CD's.

I do download music, usually If I fall in love with it I will go out of my way to buy the CD.
Quote by duncang
I thought you said there was a really good store in Guam with loads of rare demos and stuff?

Again, no money.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Quote by kirkisking

Woah man, my post wasnt' meant to be hostile towards anyone, just pointing things out. And to be honest, I have downloaded a few metal cd's but only to hear if I really like the band. If I do, I go out and buy it
Quote by zachbino57

Quote by TWISTEDFender
Quote by madbasslover
the internet's not killing metal. if not for the internet, i probably wouldn't even be into metal, because it's how i discover bands.

I agree with that. If I hadn't of found the UG Metal forums, Slipknot would still have been Black Metal to me
Quote by zachbino57

Quote by TWISTEDFender
Bull****, I say. If it wasn't for this internet (specially this forum and torrents) I would have been listening to Nirvana and Metallica's Garage Inc. Metal is not available where I live so if it wasn't for illegal downloading I could not have listened to any metal.
please excuse any typos or grammatical errors in the above post.

My Last.fm
Quote by CSguitarvocal
I agree with that. If I hadn't of found the UG Metal forums, Slipknot would still have been Black Metal to me

haha, eww.

anyway, i think this internet isn't hurting metal at all, but it's helping it. not only does it open up the listener's mind to new bands and different genres, but it also helps new bands get discovered. example: i'll do some research some bands on metal archives and if i see one i like, then i'll go to their site. then i will download some mp3 samples off their site and see if i like it. if i really like it, then i will buy the cd. it's that simple. if it wasn't for the internet, how would metal thrive? it would be stuck. it couldn't go anywhere. now, thanks to the internet, metal is breeding. the metal community is evolving. sure maybe the bands aren't getting rich. that isn't completely due to piracy, it's also due to the fact that metal is by no means mainstream. besides, it's about the music, not about the money. it's about the metal.
Page 1 of 3