I used to have an old crappy bass and loved playing it. I got pretty good, but never really learned much about equipment or getting the sound I wanted out of it (I played through my guitar amp, and yes I know that's not a good idea), I just liked playing. Anyway, it was stolen, now I wanna pick bass up again so I can play for our band, who is now short a bassist.

So my first question is, what's a good bass guitar for metal/nu-metal/"hardcore" style music, that'll hold the drop C tuning?

Second question is, what's a good amp/cab to accompany it? It's gotta be heard over two Marshall halfstacks and drums (with a lot of double bass).

For sounds like: As I Lay Dying, Bleeding Through, Agony Scene, Norma Jean, Himsa, etc.

Let's set a price range at say... $700? Probably a little low, but let's hear some suggestions.
The noise makerers:
LTD EC-1000 (EMG81/60)
Epiphone SG (PRS pups)
Squire strat (stock) - hell yes for first guitars!)

The noise maker louderfiers:
Marshall AVT head
Marshall vintage cab
Valvetronix AD30VT

CHECK OUT
You can get any bass you want just string it with an spprpriate gauge of strings.

Maybe an active bass would give you some of the power you want.
A lot of metalcore bassists use the Ibanez SR and SRX 700 or 900. The SRX 700 is $680 USD and the SRX 900 is $800 USD, a little over you budget but might be worth it. A lot of metal bassists use ESP's as well, although, but some (like myself) don't like their shape. You could get the SRX 500 for $480 USD and save some money for gear or an amp. Fender's are very versatile, I personally haven't tuned mine to drop-c yet, but I will and get back to you. And indeed, get thicker strings.

By the way, doesn't Bleeding Through tune to drop B ?
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Bleeding Through does tune to B, it was more their sound that I was using as an example, but shoot, if I had a guitar that could hold B tuning...that'd be sweet. Thanks for the suggestions, let me know how that Fender handles drop-C. : )
The noise makerers:
LTD EC-1000 (EMG81/60)
Epiphone SG (PRS pups)
Squire strat (stock) - hell yes for first guitars!)

The noise maker louderfiers:
Marshall AVT head
Marshall vintage cab
Valvetronix AD30VT

CHECK OUT
Get a 5-string if you want to have both Drop-C and Drop-B conveniently. Many here on the bass forum praise the Ibanez SR505, which I think is in your price range.

The neck will take a little while getting used to, but if you're just pounding on that bottom string, who cares?