Page 1 of 4
I don't watch music tv very often, but i was flipping channels the other day, and came across something very odd. Now, I hate pop singers as much as anyone, but I saw the new video for Christina Aguilera (Yeah, what?) and it had a very cool, classic styled blues intro. I hope this signals that blues is coming back to the mainstream, as we need more people getting in to it. So that's my 2 cents, if anyone else has seen the video, what are your feelings on it?
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
I haven't seen the video but I have heard the song. NOT BLUES, more like a sorry attempt at jazz. If blues is making a "comeback" in ****y pop music (which is not a legitimate form of music) than it will truely be the death of blues.
why do we need more people to be "getting into blues" just so they can ruin it?If they couldn't seee how cool blues is from listening to Muddy Waters,Robert Johnson,J.J. Cale,Allman Brothers,Bo Diddley and so on.............who cares what they think if Cristina Aguilera is blues ta them.
I've heard her new album is entirely jazz influenced...
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Why does blues need to make a comeback? Where did it go? It seems to me like J.J. Cale, Eric Clapton, Pat Travers, Buddy Guy, Hubert Sumlin and George Thorogood have all released albums within the last two years. It's still there and there to stay. Some new blues artists would be nice, but I don't think there ever going to be another good band. Don't whine to me about John Mayer playing the blues, because he sucks ass.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by ufossuck
Why does blues need to make a comeback? Where did it go? It seems to me like J.J. Cale, Eric Clapton, Pat Travers, Buddy Guy, Hubert Sumlin and George Thorogood have all released albums within the last two years. It's still there and there to stay. Some new blues artists would be nice, but I don't think there ever going to be another good band. Don't whine to me about John Mayer playing the blues, because he sucks ass.

yea john is a pretty good guitar player, but i just dont like him....at all. i dont really like his voice and sometimes it just seems like hes trying to hard.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
yea john is a pretty good guitar player, but i just dont like him....at all. i dont really like his voice and sometimes it just seems like hes trying to hard.

I just wish he would make up his damn mind. Because it seems like he isnt done with his pop music. I heard his next (solo) album will mainly be pop-oriented with flavors of blues.

I think he should just make a straight-forward blues standards album and ROCK THE F*CK out of it! I think that would finally shut everyone up who says he cant play and really cement his place in the history of the blues. We all know he has the chops, but it doesnt seem like he is ready to fully commit himself to the blues.
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
I just wish he would make up his damn mind. Because it seems like he isnt done with his pop music. I heard his next (solo) album will mainly be pop-oriented with flavors of blues.

I think he should just make a straight-forward blues standards album and ROCK THE F*CK out of it! I think that would finally shut everyone up who says he cant play and really cement his place in the history of the blues. We all know he has the chops, but it doesnt seem like he is ready to fully commit himself to the blues.

Clapton dabbles in many genres doesn't he? Why can't John? I think he writes pretty good lyrics for his poppy stuff but i would much rather listen to him go balls to the wall on his strat.
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
Quote by The_Okie
Clapton dabbles in many genres doesn't he? Why can't John? I think he writes pretty good lyrics for his poppy stuff but i would much rather listen to him go balls to the wall on his strat.

It just pissed me off that Mayer said he was going to dump all of the BS songs that got him rich and famous and start playing blues. I was excited, I knew he had the potential to be a badass, but then what song is on his blues trio cd? Motherfrucking DAUGHTERS. That song is worse than Your Body Is A Wonderland, and that is TRULY saying something. Mayer is a pansy, I am tired of people trying to talk him up to me.
Quote by ToBeAGooner
It just pissed me off that Mayer said he was going to dump all of the BS songs that got him rich and famous and start playing blues. I was excited, I knew he had the potential to be a badass, but then what song is on his blues trio cd? Motherfrucking DAUGHTERS. That song is worse than Your Body Is A Wonderland, and that is TRULY saying something. Mayer is a pansy, I am tired of people trying to talk him up to me.

You hate the cd because he put one of his songs on it? I don't think he's a god or anything but he sure does get flamed alot. He still has the potential to be a badass.
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
Quote by The_Okie
You hate the cd because he put one of his songs on it? I don't think he's a god or anything but he sure does get flamed alot. He still has the potential to be a badass.

No, I dont like the cd because I dont find to be enjoyable. I also find it laughable that he swears off the BS that made him famous (a direct quote from him) but put the most annoying song of the year on his 'new' blues cd. He just wants money from men, he has the female market cornered and it seems most of you are playing into his brilliant plan.
I think it is really unfare to throw so much heat at John Mayer. I found the cd quite enjoyable.
I think so many people still have the problem of automatically associating "pop" with being bad or untalented.

During the Blues Rock Heyday, the Yardbirds, John Mayal ATBB, and many others were the "popular" music. They were played on pop radio.

Plus, I wouldn't mind Blues becoming popular again, it means more people will listen to music I like, which is never a bad thing when you are with those people who are cool to hang out with, but like bad music.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
mow lawns mutha ****a.. shiiieeett back in the old days we used to go out in the fields and pick cotton.. turns out My boss was colorblind.

EDIT:not trying to be racist.
...and don't sig me.
Last edited by Ethicdoom at Jul 27, 2006,
The Yardbirds and God and all those other bluesmen that played "pop" played pop-rock. Pop bands back then were considered to be like The Beatles, The Guess Who, Paul Revere and the Raiders and so on. Pop nowaday is not rock, it's sissy bull**** about "feelings" and stuff. You can't compare John Mayer to pop of the music era.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
I've heard the new stuff, it's more Soul than Jazz, but it has moments. I just don't really dig her voice in this context.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
to complain about "feelings" in a blues thread is so absurd i don't know what to say.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Quote by ufossuck
The Yardbirds and God and all those other bluesmen that played "pop" played pop-rock. Pop bands back then were considered to be like The Beatles, The Guess Who, Paul Revere and the Raiders and so on. Pop nowaday is not rock, it's sissy bull**** about "feelings" and stuff. You can't compare John Mayer to pop of the music era.

Have you heard this badass rock music that's not about feelings that you're defending? How about "For Your Love" by the Yardbirds? "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" (Beatles)? How is that not "sissy bull**** about 'feelings'"?
Stop talking out of your ass.
Have you heard about my baby? Yes, how I love her, you don't know.
Have you heard about my baby? Yes, how I love her, you don't know.
I declare it hurt be so bad, when I heard she'd got to go.
I don't think it would be a good thing if blues suddenly became popular (as in mainstream) in a large way at the moment.

MTV and major record labels would just murder it with their shameless profit-seeking. We'd be subjected to commercially-oriented blues that would take the heart and soul out of it.

Let's face it, mainstream only gives a **** about money. Plus all the crappy artists out there now would try to change their ways in order to keep up with blues, this results in more crappy blues.

The ONLY way i can see it working would be if minor record labels managed to use the new-found fame of the blues to catapult those true blues artists playing in small concerts and festivals into fame and recognition. But it's highly doubtful with the major labels watching over them.

Also, i really couldn't stand to see those oodles of terrible guitarists who are just in it to look cool try to play the blues. I mean, at least with commercial music i can distinguish that from other music and ignore those who attempt to make more of it.
But if suddenly everyone's bragging about how they can play "Rude Mood" 5 times fast i'd be driven insane.

Finally, it would really take something away from me if the blues became massively popular. I know this is incredibly self-centered of me and i accept that. But i've always felt very "special" knowing that i loved the blues with great passion. I talk to others who love blues and there's an immediate connection for me, like we're bonded in some way in that we're diffrent from the norm. It's my way of being unique.
Yet if we were subjected to blues posers or huge blues popularity, i'd feel very... lost.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
-Falcatarius
Quote by Falcatarius
The ONLY way i can see it working would be if minor record labels managed to use the new-found fame of the blues to catapult those true blues artists playing in small concerts and festivals into fame and recognition. But it's highly doubtful with the major labels watching over them.

The problem is most of the true bluesmen are dead. The ones that are still alive are enormously popular already. (well, except maybe Hubert Sumlin) While B.B. King, Buddy Guy and Hubert Sumlin continue to play the blues, they'll be the end of it. With all the crap genres of music out there now it's impossible for none of it to slip into the blues. True blues could only exist in a time free of the crap we have now. Even if a band that could really play the blues showed up, they'd definatley play other genres and not be sold as a blues band, but simply as a rock band that plays the blues.
I wish there was more blues influenced mainstream music like The White Stripes, then blues would make a comeback because everyone, with the aid of the internet, would explore it's history.
Why is The White Stripes blues, 1 cover song doesnt make you a blues artist.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
I tend to agree with Falcatarius on the subject. I prefer to have blues less popular b/c i dont want all the posers that listen to anything on MTV to all of a sudden love the blues. I just wish more young bluesmen could make a living playing the blues so there would be more of it out there. I guess it can't be both ways, though.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by The Master Plan

Jack has never called himself a blues man/artist, or a blues band or anything like that. He's mentioned numerous times that they are a blues influenced band, which is a big difference. A blues influenced band has elements of blues in their songs without technically being a blues song. People like you, and reviewers who don't know shjt about them try to classify them as "blues" because they/you just don't know how else to classify them according to their music.

I love them, and I love the blues, but I don't classify them as blues either because they're not. They're more of a rock/garage rock (I hate the genre name though "garage rock") band, and we all know where rock came from (from blues, to the slower people), doesn't mean that all rock bands are blues bands.
Hai UG!
popular culture could not properly handle a blues revival at this point. the revival of the 60's came at a perfect time, and it gave birth to real rock n roll. the mini revival of the 80's was also pretty successful, it produced SRV and kenny wayne shepherd. at this point a major revival is NOT in the mix. as of now we've got some small artists we can look forward to paving the way for future guitarists. Derek Trucks anyone?
Quote by The Master Plan

Which "1" cover song would that be? 'Your Southern Can is Mine'? 'Stop Breaking Down Blues'? 'Death Letter'? 'St. James Infirmary Blues'? What about their own original blues songs like 'Ball and Biscuit' or 'Little Bird'? Don't slag off a band when you don't know anything about them; it makes you look immensely stupid.
As aforementioned anyway, they don't call themselves a blues band, because they're clearly not. They play blues-influenced music that a lot of people like because it's very good.
i too saw this video and thought the same exact thing. . .. . . .
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
I like the fact that the blues aren't mainstream. This means that bands that play the blues care more about the music they make than the money or fame. And if the blues would become mainstream pop music, there would be way too many commercialized bands that suck and are just in it for the money and fame. The great bands would be lost in the heaps of crappy pop blues music.
Quote by A Spoon Supreme
I wish there was more blues influenced mainstream music
... then blues would make a comeback because everyone, with the aid of the internet, would explore it's history.

That is the biggest piece of bull**** I have ever read online.

On Topic:

I think blues and blues-infused rock can, and will make a comeback. Not right now, but in the future when everybody gets tired of the **** that's on the radio today (which will happen eventually). It may not seem like it right now, but society can only listen to talentless (for the most part) artists for so long before they get tired of it.

On Topic of the Off Topic of the first page:

John Mayer's a pretty good guitarists. He's pretty funny to watch too because he makes the ugliest faces I have ever seen when he gets "in the zone". His voice gets on my nerves though, so I can't listen to him for longer than ten minutes.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
I personally dont care if blues became mainstream. It annoys me that most of my school listend to either Green Day or rap but if those same people started listening to Blues becuase they thought that was the cool thing to do then I would kill myself.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
I don't think the Blues will make a comeback and that is alright with me. The blues has never stood for what mainstream music has stood for. In my opinion you can't fake the blues like you can fake other genres. It's something you feel and if you don't feel it then it sounds like ****. There is very little feeling in music anymore, mainstream is mostly about shaking your ass and ****ing everyone in sight. It's heartless. There may be some feelings in punk, but it's pretty easy to fake if you don't feel it. Good blues will never be fake. There may be a blues artist that gets discovered and makes it to the mainstream, but it will never be as big as the Punk, Pop, Rap genres of todays mainstream.
"If my baby don't love me no more,
well I'm sure her sister will." -Jimi "Red House"

Gear
1983 Strat '57 Reissue
1964 Gibson ES-330
Dr Z Maz 38
Fender Pro-Junior

myspace.com/marcrobertwork
I don't have a problem with a "blues revival" (we've had many throughout the years as it is), but if people are doing a ****ty job with it, that's a different story.

Also, just because someone is mainstream, doesn't mean they can't play blues - look at John Mayer.
I like the new christina song. I don't really go around telling everyone I do, but it's good. You can hear a lot of soul influence.
epiphone dot
fender strat w/texas specials
epiphone ej-200ce
vox wah
ibanez ts9
menatone howie
boss dd6
fender 65 twin
I'd love to see the blues get more popular with people, but I don't think massive amounts of mainstream exposure would be best for the music. If the mainstream were to become saturated with blues or blues-inspired music, the music would start to get diluted and formulaic. The big companies would get hold of it, find one thing that sells, and stick to that same formula over, and over, and over.

The same thing is happening right now, with all of the cookie cutter pop-punk/"emo" bands gracing radio and TV. It would be a grim fate for a style of music with such rich history behind it. That's why, in a way, I'm glad mainstream music is the way it is, it leaves other artists room to explore their craft and garner real music fans while the masses who don't know music flock to the dime-a-dozens.
The problem I have with her so called "jazz" is that all of the rythmns are hip-hop and the only other aspect to the songs are blasting horns. It takes more than just having horns and costumes to make music jazz.
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
PM RIC4003 or timmEH to join
Quote by GeddyFleaHan
The problem I have with her so called "jazz" is that all of the rythmns are hip-hop and the only other aspect to the songs are blasting horns. It takes more than just having horns and costumes to make music jazz.

Absolutely. That includes all these 'nu-jazz' folks. I could be wrong, but I thought jazz was about pushing boundaries...
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
What I would like to see is a good STRONG underground following, kinda like what we have for metal. The artist make their money, play music they truly like and at the same time arnt acessible enough to become mainstream.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
If Blues is making a comeback, who cares in what form? Besides, her music sucks now, but maybe others will be influenced by her to check out early blues recordings, and thus, creating a new wave of decent blues singers and players. Who knows? In 5 years maybe Delta Blues could be this years 'Crazy Frog'
Quote by Satchtastic
In 5 years maybe Delta Blues could be this years 'Crazy Frog'

That's possibly the most terrifying thing I've ever heard.
Page 1 of 4