I know he had heavy strings, but what was his action like.... high or low?

Thanks.
david highland- just dont post, if your not going to post anything useful then just dont ok.

threadstarter- you would probabaly get a better response in the electric guitar forum, but im guessing his action would of been normal, yea it would of been higher action in general because of the heavier strings.....
Really? High gauge strings work well with high action?

I always prefer to play (no matter what gauge strings) with the action as low as I can get it without and fret buzz and such. Seems to make for easier bends and faster playing, the only thing it's no good for is slide guitar. Anyway, at a total guess I'd have said he'd have a low action, but everyone whose said his action was high probably has more of an idea than me.
i read that he had a very high action because it gave the tone that he was after.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by jimmypage7
i'd say low

Not correct. As others have mentioned, SRV preferred high action.

Dan Erlewine had a chance to examine Jeff Beck and SRV's guitars at the same time, and took some measurements of the action and discovered that SRV's action was about twice as high as Beck's.
Quote by Invictious
lol, i have .015s and my action is like 1.5cm off the 12thfret

I'm sure that is doing your neck a whole lot of good....
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
SRV definitely had high action. It gives better tone and sustain, and he wasn't really one to sacrifice tone to make his guitars easy to play!
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
come off the 'better tone/sustain' crackpipe. i agree that thicker guage strings will give a noticable difference in sound (not always better), but high action is nothing more than preference. if anything, maybe too low action will cause a drop in sustain from the strings touching the frets silently, but once youre out of that range, it doesnt help more to raise the action indefinitely, and the only way it changes the tone is indirectly by affecting the way you play.
i heard he did have a pretty high action though, imo not because it gives better sustain or tone, but because the percussive muted 'chk' is a huge part of his sound, and for that you need to strike the strings hard, something that will cause alot of buzzing with lower action.
course i cant read his mind, and this is all just personal experience and reasonable guesses.
I think the main reason was just personal preference. I know that I hate low actions and mine is relatively high. For me its easier to bend and just feels right.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Stevie's action was very high. So high, that when anyone else basically tried to have a go at Number One, it was too unplayable for them.

All Stevie.
im sure the guy wasn't exactly rich when he was young and learning the guitar. he probably just played what he had and got used to the high action before he knew any better. since then he probably just prefered it that way. i doubt theres some grand conspiracy behind it.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
his strings were so big and his action so high, that he would re-glue callouses to his fingers so he would still be able to play.
I'd say his action was similar to that of the Godfathers, you know? Like kinda subtle, but still enticing, without too much shooting. Nothing near Tom Cruise, though.

It's pretty high and I heard he use to glue skin from his shoulder onto his fingers to make them thicker, that's how thick of strings he used.

EDIT: and did I say Tom Cruise? I meant, of course, Tom Hanks. I mean, TC sucks.
yea he would have had high action. when i put heavys on my guitar i needed to raise the action so the strings wouldnt buzz.
Quote by flogrock
come off the 'better tone/sustain' crackpipe. i agree that thicker guage strings will give a noticable difference in sound (not always better), but high action is nothing more than preference. if anything, maybe too low action will cause a drop in sustain from the strings touching the frets silently, but once youre out of that range, it doesnt help more to raise the action indefinitely, and the only way it changes the tone is indirectly by affecting the way you play

High action DOES improve sustain because low action means that the magnetic field of the pickups causes the strings to vibrate less. Also it means you can beat the crap out of your strings without lots of fret buzz (which I consider to be a tonal advantage), and bends and vibrato are a bit easier.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Jimmy94
his strings were so big and his action so high, that he would re-glue callouses to his fingers so he would still be able to play.

I doubt that's anything more than a rumour, same with the whole tearing skin from his back thing. While there's some truth in there somewhere, there are many stories like that.
Quote by Jimmy94

Ouch... I personally doubt that, though I have heard that his doctor said he had to stop using such heavy strings because the tendons in his hands were being put under so much stress that he was risking permanently damaging them.

Quote by codybcool
I doubt that's anything more than a rumour, same with the whole tearing skin from his back thing. While there's some truth in there somewhere, there are many stories like that.

Well then shame on Rene Martinez (SRV's guitar tech) for starting the rumor, because that's where I heard it.
At the end of his career he got sober and lowered his string gauge. The super glue and callous bit isn't a rumor though.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit