I have around 500 dollars, 600 if need be maybe a bit more and i really need to upgrade my amp cause its just a 15 watt marshall. i play rock or post punk and some 'pretty' stuff too just stuff like matchbox 20, bowling for soup, red hot chili peppers, and some cleaner stuff maybe a little like goo goo dolls. just not a real grungy or metal sound.

EDIT: big enough to play a show with as well. thanks
Last edited by Amped at Jul 25, 2006,
just listened to the distorted sound clip (my computers slow) and i really liked it, it may have been just a bit too distorted for me but i think all that needs is a little touch of the knob, im still waiting for the clean one to load but i think im going to really like that one too. thanks again
k, just listened to the clean one and not exactly what i was looking for i don't think, i really like the amp but i don't know if its the 'one' it may be but i have to look at a few others before making a better decision. if anybody has any other suggestions please post them thanks.
Don't let that sound clip fool you. That's how the clean tone sounds with a lot of volume. It's already started to break up a little. I have a Traynor (YCV50) and the cleans are really smooth. They'll go anywheres from RHCP's Scar Tissue to Under the Bridge easily. It really is an amazing amp, and it would suite you perfectly. The cleans resemble a slightly more transparent Fender amp.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
yeah i slept on it last night and decided that i really do like it and that im really considering getting one. thanks for your help nic.
also, i was just reading some of the comments about the amp and a couple of them say that they bought it and then re tubed it and got a new speaker for it as well. did you do this nic and whether you did or didn't why would they? i don't really know what tubes do differently than a 'normal' amp or what makes them better so that you would change them. if i did decide to change them how much more would i be looking at if you know? also does the traynor only get to 40 watts? and if so is that enough for a show when everybody else has around 100 watt amps? probably stupid questions but im a stupid person so thanks for the help.
Last edited by Amped at Jul 25, 2006,
Quote by Amped
also, i was just reading some of the comments about the amp and a couple of them say that they bought it and then re tubed it and got a new speaker for it as well. did you do this nic and whether you did or didn't why would they? i don't really know what tubes do differently than a 'normal' amp or what makes them better so that you would change them. if i did decide to change them how much more would i be looking at if you know?

The Traynor I own comes with a Celestion Vintage 30, so i had no need to change it. You really won't either. If i recall correctly, the YCV40 comes equiped with Celestion speakers of some sort, which will provide very smooth, warm tones. I didn't re-tube my amp either. Tubes are fairly expensive, and while they can improve your tone (to have high quality tubes), the difference is usually very small, and not worth tossing a new set of tubes for. Also, changing the tubes could cost anywhere's from $50 to $100 depending on what type of tubes you get. Also, they can give slight changes in your tones characteristics (make it warmer, add more distortion, make it break up later, ect.) To be perfectly honest, I think you'll be absolutely fine with the amps stock tubes and speaker. It delivers a great tone. Tweaking nuances like that is something you won't even want to bother worrying about until you start gigging (although, even then, it really isn't necessary).
thank you for that, you musht have quoted my message right before i edited it. if you would be so kind to answer the last couple of questions i didn't get in there in time that would be great. thanks a bunch.
Have you thought about going used? You could find the amps already mentioned for cheap or something like a peavey classic 30 which go for about 300 used. Check craigslist and ebay and good luck with your amp search!

Oh and 40 watts tube should be fine, even though everybody else may have 100W amps they won't be cranking them to the point where you can't match their volume( especially if they have 100W solid state amps)
If its possible you should try the traynor before you buy it(although it might be hard to find one to try) If you can't try it you'll probably be okay anyway because its a pretty well regarded amp and one of the best in its price range.
The Traynor YCV40 is a 40 watt amp only. Traynor also make 15 watt models, 20 watt models, 50 watt models, and 80 watt models (the 50 and 80 watt are out of your price range though). Most people doing smaller gigs will probably be using high wattage solid-state amps. However, 40 watts tube=100 watts solid-state in volume, so it will be plenty loud. Also, tube amps sound better at high volumes, so you'll want to have the volume up a little ways for a show (if you had a highter wattage tube amp, you wouldn't turn it up as high for shows and therefore it wouldn't sound as good). Also, if the venue is very large, they'll have a house PA that you can hook your amp up to. In other words, this amp is loud enough for all occasions, and it's portable to boot.
have you considered a vox valvetronix 50 watt? They are great amps which are versatile and come loaded with effects and amp models.
Setup:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-Top
Crap GK strat
Vox Valvetronix 15 watt
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Boss DS-1
Quote by elec_guitar_97
have you considered a vox valvetronix 50 watt? They are great amps which are versatile and come loaded with effects and amp models.

Yes, they're good amps, but they just don't compare to the tube amps being offered here.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?