I was just looking at some epiphone guitars (the les paul custom) mostly, and im curious, do les paul's play well for metal? Can you guys give me a little info on epiphone les paul custom (or other epiphone les paul models) Thanks!
Yes, they give you a deep/full sound because of the mahogany body.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
yep they're pretty alright for metal, any guitar that's designed for humbuckers is. ibanez>epiphone for soloing metal guitars, but if ure playing some chunky rythm than the epiphone would be ure pick.
i have an epiphone SG g400 goth and i got it last year, i was hoping mynext guitar would be a les paul custom, the white one, but even if i save up, i'm not going to get it.
my SG plays great with any style, for solo speed, i've just got to get used to the pretty wide neck, otherwise its perfect in my opinion.
the reason i wont get another les paul, or another EPIPHONE (for a while) isbecause they are no longer amde in korea, their made in china now, and this is a VERY recent move, maybe a few months ago. I'm not saying china make horrible things (which they DO) but the shift in a new factory means new personnel, and the finer touches to the guitar, such as the filing on the fretboard is seeeeeeeeriously cheap looking. I went to the store and i was SHOCKED to see the les paul custom white on DISPLAY (these are fairly rare). so i looked closer and was seriously disappointed with the details of it. The pick guard edges wastn smooth, the way it was attached looked suspect, but the inlays on the fretboard shocked me most with it looking real horrid. Dont get an epiphone yet.
my epiphone les paul standard does an excelent job for metal. Soundwise they are great maybe a little sluggish for some things.
ibanez>epiphone for solos if u pick the right one
the $200-300 RG ibanez is poor, its (of course) made in china.
and while of course the NECKS are slimmer (better for solos) but if you pick a lower end model, the neck may be slim but not smooth for fast.
there alrite for metal as long as u put gd pups in? but one think about les pauls is the size of the necks, you may want to look into ESP ltd's for a les paul with a better neck.
GEAR

ESP LTD Viper 400 with EMG 81s
Jackson Dinky DXMG with EMG 81/85
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Ashdown Fallen Angel Cab 120W 4X12
Keeley Modded SD-1 Overdrive
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Noise gate (cheap)
EQ (cheap)
You shouldn't ask yourself if the guitar fits the music. You just gotta find one, play it and see if it fits your style. See if it agrees with you and then make your choice. Just my opinion though.
Thanks guys. I will be looking at a few more. I had played my friends ibanez sz320 with emg pickups and absolutley loved it. And for the price i can get it here, it seems liek a great deal (550cdn). I've heard only good things about the sz320, but im going to try the esp ltd. I do not like fat neck guitars, my fingers are tiny! :P
Quote by henza_x
i have an epiphone SG g400 goth and i got it last year, i was hoping mynext guitar would be a les paul custom, the white one, but even if i save up, i'm not going to get it.
my SG plays great with any style, for solo speed, i've just got to get used to the pretty wide neck, otherwise its perfect in my opinion.
the reason i wont get another les paul, or another EPIPHONE (for a while) isbecause they are no longer amde in korea, their made in china now, and this is a VERY recent move, maybe a few months ago. I'm not saying china make horrible things (which they DO) but the shift in a new factory means new personnel, and the finer touches to the guitar, such as the filing on the fretboard is seeeeeeeeriously cheap looking. I went to the store and i was SHOCKED to see the les paul custom white on DISPLAY (these are fairly rare). so i looked closer and was seriously disappointed with the details of it. The pick guard edges wastn smooth, the way it was attached looked suspect, but the inlays on the fretboard shocked me most with it looking real horrid. Dont get an epiphone yet.

My Epi Les Paul was made in China in Sept last year so it's been 10 months minimum.

EDIT: yeah I thought it had been quite a bit longer, seems they been making Epi's there since 2002
http://www.epiphone.com/FactoryTour/qdtour3.html
Last edited by treagar at Jul 25, 2006,