Ive noticed that less popular guitar companies(e.g. kxk, ran) like to make guitars with a single pickup, even the more expensive models. Are there any advantages to having a single pickup as opposed to having two or even three?
Not really, at least from what I've seen.

I guess wiring would be easier
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
some people just like the simplicity. i came across a thing on the web with like 10 different sounds out of just one pickup (series, parallel, out of phase, coil split, etc) i thought that was pretty cool.
but i cant live without the neck pup, and there really isnt anything a single pup guitar can do that a 2 pup guitar cant.
some people just like one sound, and only want to play that one sound, so they buy a guitar that has that one sound
Quote by flogrock
some people just like the simplicity. i came across a thing on the web with like 10 different sounds out of just one pickup (series, parallel, out of phase, coil split, etc) i thought that was pretty cool.
but i cant live without the neck pup, and there really isnt anything a single pup guitar can do that a 2 pup guitar cant.

Yeah, single pup guitars are meant for distortion and rythm, unless it has something that gets good cleans at the bridge.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Yeah, single pup guitars are meant for distortion and rythm, unless it has something that gets good cleans at the bridge.

eg. Alexi Laiho most of his sounds are from his amp and gear that he uses and nothing really clean from what ive heard
Quote by edwardthegreat5

I was under the impression that single pup guitars are aimed at lead, with a screaming high-output humbucker in the bridge. There was even the Fender Lead series, Charvel Models 1 and 2 come to mind (wantonewantone!)... EVH. Mmm.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
I was under the impression that single pup guitars are aimed at lead, with a screaming high-output humbucker in the bridge. There was even the Fender Lead series, Charvel Models 1 and 2 come to mind (wantonewantone!)... EVH. Mmm.

I that's what I assumed, I like the neck pup better for leads, they sound too trebly on the bridge pup, but Fender thinks differently
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
If you're clever and thoughtful you can get a lot of tones from one pickup, rolling volume and tone gets you all sorts of different gain and color.

Without the neck pickup, there's also a bit more body to the guitar which could affect tone and sustain.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
..... which leads to the question, "if you could have only one pick-up, what would it be and where would you place it?"

Myself, I would want a humbucker at the neck that could be coil-split to sound like a single. I'd be interested in that website that shows how to get all those tones form a single pickup.
Quote by mrbreeze
..... which leads to the question, "if you could have only one pick-up, what would it be and where would you place it?" .

Single Coil neck pup.
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
i have a single pickup guitar and like somebody said earlier, i like it for the simplicity. and im using it as a guinea pig guitar, so i need space to put stuff in
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"