if you're impatient or technically challenged, dont get one. expect your first few string changes to take an hour or more. if it falls out of tune , it's gonna be a bitch to retune. you'll need to adjust every now because the strings will pull it out of position (that's easy though)

the advantages are some tight tricks. you can do really crazy harmonic squeels and that.
if you more just want to play fast though, i'd go fixed bridge.
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power
I wouldn't get the trem unless you're really good already. I got one some time ago (and I'm not really good) and it is a BITCH. Damn thing.
if you get a trem, reasearch them beforehand, learn how to restring, retune and reintonate them......they are seriously worth it if you are prepared to just slow things down and get to grips with how they work
THEY ARE A BITCH TO TUNE! That's why I'm selling mine

EDIT: Is it possibelt to install a fixed brindge on a guitar iwth a floyd?
Last edited by hckfrk38 at Jul 25, 2006,
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
if you get a trem, reasearch them beforehand, learn how to restring, retune and reintonate them......they are seriously worth it if you are prepared to just slow things down and get to grips with how they work

yep what this guys said. just learn ****loads about the trem and how to set up and adjust and hopefully it shouldnt fall out of tune
^it comes from experience lol i remember when i first got my floyd, i was like WTF!!!? what the hell do i do??
So will it go out of tune straight away after a divebomb? Even with the locking nuts?
Quote by hckfrk38
THEY ARE A BITCH TO TUNE! That's why I'm selling mine

EDIT: Is it possibelt to install a fixed brindge on a guitar iwth a floyd?

Buy a device called a Tremno, they are sold on IbanezRules.com.
Quote by pataldo
What are the advantages / disadvantages of a floyd rose?, i am thinking about getting the Jackson King V KVX 10.

If you have to ask what they are, what they do and the advantage/disadvantages of them then you probably shouldnt even consider one.

My recomendation would be to go down to a guitar shop and try a floyd equiped guitar out, see what you think yourself.
Quote by indra13
So will it go out of tune straight away after a divebomb? Even with the locking nuts?

Depends on the quality, it shouldnt, thats what happens if you do it on a strat (unless it has a locking nut or locking tuners) an OFR or higher end Ibanez trem shouldnt be too bad with tunings, and i also her that ibanezes trems are easier to string than OFRs and LFRs
I re-strung mine up last night while watching House. Took about half an hour. But then, I'm 53 and verrrrrry patient.

It can actually be quite the challenge but if you follow the directions, it should work fine.

I also have these vintage tuners like you find on a Nashville tele. They have the slash at the top and you cut the string and push itin the top and then wrap around. I expected the worst but was pleasantly surprised. Recorded with it this morning!!

I once had a guitar with Original FR. The tricks you can do with it are just amazing and soo fun to do. There's the divebombs, Dime harmonics (yeah he has trademark!), but the reason I got rid of it was because it broke three-four strings a month, you can't de-tune or anything in less that half an hour (if you are fast!), it takes about a year to change strings (....yeah I know..) and it's unstable, meaning you can't bend two strings at the same time. BUT if you find the pros bigger than the cons, it's a great idea to get a FR.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
i dont understand why everyone hates the floyd rose sure it has its disadvantages but remember the system is what like 20 years old and i have seen numerous items that fix most of your problems such as de-tuning, and double stop bends. but really if you wanna do that then you should research what your getting